eBay removed my listing after a bootleg record sold - do I still ship it?

Genuinely confused about what I'm supposed to do here.

I listed a used bootleg hip-hop record on eBay and it sold right away overnight. A few hours later I got notified from eBay that my listing was removed because it's illegal to sell counterfeit goods. There's still an option to print a shipping label if I click the right combo of things, but some places it just goes an error and says there's no listing for the item.  eBay says the "funds are available" but a few community posts for similar situations say they don't actually pay you.

Anyone been in this situation or or can weigh in on what to do? 

I would expect those funds to be returned to the buyer pretty soon, definitely don't trust that they're actually available. Maybe see if you can contact the buyer directly and set up a transaction through paypal after cancelling the eBay order? I'd also check the seller terms before trying that, though, it might violate eBay's rules.

Contact ebay. I had a similar thing happen but it was a week after I sold the item and the buyer already had it.  The sale was good, I had already been paid and they didn't try and take it back.  It was really ebay just covering their ass so that it was removed from their site. But someone must have reported it to them for this to happen which is extra annoying unless it was the label or artist themselves.

Echo what Fish said. I listed a bootleg on ebay, it sold within a couple of hours, I packed and shipped it same day. 

Next day I had an email that ebay removed my listing. I contacted them and said that I’d already sent the record, what do? 

They said that the payout would come my way. Your situation might be similar, def contact ebay. 

Damn, did not expect so many people to have similar experiences. TY all for weighing in. 

So, I chatted with a helpful eBay rep who said I shouldn't ship the record and the buyer is refunded automatically.  There will be no funds released to me.

So there's that. But I wonder what would have happened if I had already shipped it?? 🤔

It's annoying that eBay removes boots.  I've had this happen many times.  Anyone know if there's a work around?  Sometimes people are allowed to sell the same record that I had removed.  Is it just the wording?  Or maybe the country of the seller?  It seems like shit from Italy never gets removed.  Do they not have copyright laws?  Can I just change my country and offer free shipping?

2 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Mine are usually bigger bands like Pink Floyd and Zeppelin.  I guess I assumed the bands had people who actively search for boots.

I don’t think it matters if it’s a big band. Look at this Clapton thing from December…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/german-woman-fined-eric-clapton-bootleg-ebay-1273130/amp/

it’s also been random what boots are allowed to sell on Discogs too? Seems like no rhyme or reason as too what their marketplace will allow for boots.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, MCDELTAT said:

I was trying to sell my AFI record after I decided I would just wait for an official release and it just keeps getting taken down. Guess I’m just holding on to it.

i was able to sell mine on there a couple months back, i listed it as an 'import' as that's what other auctions were doing at that time and had no problems

4 hours ago, porkdad said:

I don’t think it matters if it’s a big band. Look at this Clapton thing from December…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/german-woman-fined-eric-clapton-bootleg-ebay-1273130/amp/

it’s also been random what boots are allowed to sell on Discogs too? Seems like no rhyme or reason as too what their marketplace will allow for boots.

Jesus, that's a little insane on Clapton's part.  What's the reasoning behind it? He's worth $450 million dollars for fucks sake.  Reminds me of the whole Metallica/Napster bullshit.

Yeah I think discogs is pretty random, but it seems like it takes awhile for them to take them down.  If they're newer they're probably fair game.