Universal Music Group raising MSRP for 1000s of records as of 5/20/22

• Justinadamk changed the title to Universal Music Group raising MSRP for 1000s of records as of 5/20/22

Stings hard for anyone looking to buy some new Beatles represses or something, but I don’t know that it’s the calling card of a collapsed economy or hobby.  The shit that jumps $10+ may just gather dust on the shelf until UMG gets the hint.  Additionally, it seems to me that a lot of folks have appeared to be fine with $35 as the norm for double LPs anyway…?  It’s sad that if anything, this will just continue to fuel Amazon as the go-to for new presses of “the classics”… indie shops take the brunt of this hit.

As the video points out at the end though, this might not be "corporate greed", but just a way for them to stop people buying records that they can't keep in press. Unfortunately, this does put the burden of keeping the industry alive on the backs of record stores. There are some titles in there I could perhaps care about, TBS, Thursday, pretty sure MCR was on UMG, so if new presses came along for any of those, I'd expect the higher price.

I've personally been trying to scale back as well. I'm in a good place right now, but a recession seems inevitable to me, especially in the tech industry that I work in.

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

I know several record shop owners that basically break even or even take a small loss on new releases.

Then you’ve got people giving great record shops 1-star Yelp reviews because they “have too much used vinyl and not enough not vinyl.”

Very sad state we’re in…

Something tells me universal is okay with shutting these places down if it means charging 50-60 bucks for big box exclusives. Fuck em.

So just a repeat of what happened to compact discs in the 90's lol. Good. I look forward to The Hobby™️  nose diving and becoming irrelevant so I can actually enjoy collecting again.

Live by the 229th repress of Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, and die by it. 

2 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

As the video points out at the end though, this might not be "corporate greed", but just a way for them to stop people buying records that they can't keep in press. Unfortunately, this does put the burden of keeping the industry alive on the backs of record stores. There are some titles in there I could perhaps care about, TBS, Thursday, pretty sure MCR was on UMG, so if new presses came along for any of those, I'd expect the higher price.

I've personally been trying to scale back as well. I'm in a good place right now, but a recession seems inevitable to me, especially in the tech industry that I work in.

The recession has not stopped since 2008.

37 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What are you guys buying instead?  Records you don't really want?

Yes. Vinyl is stupid and so am I.

Really though, the more recent spikes in pricing has made me consider whether I really need it in a lot of cases. I'll often times buy something based on liking a couple singles or a good live performance, just to check it out the rest while supporting the shop, label, or band. Doesn't hurt too bad at $20-$25 or whatever for a single LP, but as prices keeping inching higher, it'll be hard to continue justifying it to myself. 

22 minutes ago, ntslash said:

False. Look up what a recession is. We haven't had a recession since June 2009. 

Byproducts of the recession are still very real. The housing crash is '08 is a huge contributor to the current day housing shortage and inflated rental costs. I just watched a 60 Minutes thing about it while on the treadmill, it's worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/ZEwxYvQVU5g

1 hour ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Gas, groceries, and taxes.

I mean, yeah.  Hopefully you get what I actually meant though.

1 hour ago, mitchard said:

I'll often times buy something based on liking a couple singles or a good live performance, just to check it out the rest while supporting the shop, label, or band. Doesn't hurt too bad at $20-$25 or whatever for a single LP, but as prices keeping inching higher, it'll be hard to continue justifying it to myself. 

Damn, I really do respect supporting labels, shops, and bands as best as I can… but it sounds like you’re far more receptive to new buys than I am.

Not saying that my way is the best way to consume music, but I do have a specific glide path for an album to earn its spot on my shelf.  (Especially as someone who values quality over quantity, and just shelf space in general.)  I feel like it has treated me really well and kept me away from regrettable buys.

I don’t know if it’d value you at all – and I’m hardly the only person who does this; not trying to say I’ve trademarked some perfect system to establish a record’s value or desire – but Curiosity to Purchase is a methodical journey that I follow pretty habitually.  Not that you or anyone asked, but curious if anyone does something similar:

(I’d throw all this shit in one of those spoiler tags to avoid a wall of text, if I could.  But VC took those away for some reason.  So, sorry.)

[Scope]
Someone will tell me to check out an artist or band.  I’ll Google them to see if they’ve got a bandcamp.  This lets me determine a few things right off the bat.  Like if vinyl even is available to begin with (or sold out), or what the price of the digital download may be, if there is one.  And most importantly, it lets me preview a couple of songs to make sure the album is within the realm of something I’ll even enjoy.

[Stream]
I’ve decided I could be into the album, so now it’s off to Spotify to give it an open-minded listen.  Why not just start with a Spotify stream?  When I don’t have time for a full album, I’ll opt to just “play my library” (shuffle).  It works better when Spotify doesn’t remember all the junk I’ve decided is not for me.  I’m sure there’s a way to go in and clear your history / plays – and maybe some folks get value from exploring aimlessly and keeping a log of everything they’ve played – but I personally don’t.  Plus, if the stream treats me well, scoping out the bandcamp page helps me shift to…

[Digital]
I’ve decided that as a whole, this album is a banger.  Or I think it is.  Maybe.  It could be.  I’ll need another listen or two in a different setting, and so now it’s time to secure a copy digitally.  There’s a number of reasons I do this, ranging from wanting to hear the record again – anything I download, I know I’ll be playing more than the initial Spotify stream – to wanting to hear it in a higher quality, like FLAC.  If the digital copy is < $8, or free, I’ll chip in a few bucks on bandcamp to add it to my collection.  You get permanent access to download it at any quality, and it supports the artist for the cost of an energy drink or two.  But the icing on the cake here is that sometimes it scratches the itch of “owning” the album.  Anyone else experience this, ever?  Having it in the digital library is sometimes enough for me, especially if the entire album is not as consistent or doesn’t grow on me as much as I’d hope after 2-3 plays.

If the album is not on bandcamp or the digital is $10+, I obtain it through less savory methods.  Because at that point, if I revisit the album and it’s just not clicking, I’ll remove it from my library [no longer in possession of it, even digitally] or I’ll move to the final phase…

[Purchase]
Self-explanatory.  The record has proven itself over repeat listens; the entire experience is a treat or there is a far larger portion of the album that is more enjoyable than not.  This helps filter out albums with some really nice tracks that fall short as a whole experience for me.  I won’t go into details on hunting down my preferred variant or researching to see what sounds best, but you get the idea.  Sometimes this means paying $1-7 more if I’m unsure of the album, kinda’ like it - enough to buy digitally - and then ultimately feel confident in, only to loop back and buy it through bandcamp.  (How rad would it be to receive a discount on vinyl buys through bandcamp, for the cost difference of the digital download, if you had previously purchased it digitally?)  But that’s a rarity and honestly, double-dipping on bandcamp is not something I’m going to lose sleep over.

I feel dumb for even writing all this out because who gives a shit?  I’m sure someone will try to call it an unnecessary or elitist approach to consuming music but in a way, yeah… it touches exactly on what you called out.  I don’t buy singles and I listen to albums front to back, so they’ve got to earn their spot on the shelf.  I’m not in the business of buying stuff I’ll only play the first side of and then get bored with.  This whole process has served me well for probably a decade or more.  Just food for thought I guess.  May be fun or interesting to consider how much that varies from the overwhelming “stream culture” we face today.

Edited by Derek™

Jesus fuckin’ Christ on a cracker!!! 

I’ve been watching this potential trainwreck unfold. Let it go. If anyone feels they’ve been ripped off by any one label seller producer whatever, let it be, it’s their feeling & opinion. 

I didn’t read Derek’s dissertation above & don’t have time for it. Sorry dude. 

BUT. Bottom line, if MC wants to keep fighting his good fight, right on. Keep it going. Who the fuck are anyone of us schlubs to tell them him what to do? 

Y’all mofos need to be more like Frozen… 

let it go GIF

My initial thought is: "but people will still pay these prices, right?"

I keep seeing preorders that at are $45-$60 that still sell out no problem. 

I dont know why, but I never saw the bubble bursting because of people priced out of vinyl. I just figured the trendiness, culture, and allure of it dying out in a bunch of years would do it?

I've managed to more or less abstain from new major-affiliated vinyl for the past 3 years or so. They don't care about the health or future of the format, it's just another way for them to take up space while padding out their bottom line a little bit. Vinyl collectors have developed this weird slavish devotion to buying shit without thinking about who they're buying from.

Worthwhile editorial on the topic from Damon K. of Galaxie 500's excellent blog:

https://dadadrummer.substack.com/p/ed-sheerans-vinyl?s=r

19 minutes ago, porkdad said:

My initial thought is: "but people will still pay these prices, right?"

I keep seeing preorders that at are $45-$60 that still sell out no problem. 

I dont know why, but I never saw the bubble bursting because of people priced out of vinyl. I just figured the trendiness, culture, and allure of it dying out in a bunch of years would do it?

Vinyl Collectors: Waiting for “The Bubble” to Burst Since 2005

47 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Jesus fuckin’ Christ on a cracker!!! 

I’ve been watching this potential trainwreck unfold. Let it go. If anyone feels they’ve been ripped off by any one label seller producer whatever, let it be, it’s their feeling & opinion. 

I didn’t read Derek’s dissertation above & don’t have time for it. Sorry dude. 

BUT. Bottom line, if MC wants to keep fighting his good fight, right on. Keep it going. Who the fuck are anyone of us schlubs to tell them him what to do? 

Y’all mofos need to be more like Frozen… 

let it go GIF

Wrong thread lmao good job writing off Derek's post though. Derp.