Montreal Record Store Recommendations

Hey fellow VCers, my wife is traveling to Montreal for work in June and we're wondering if y'all have any recommendations for solid record stores. She's staying at the La Centre Sheraton in what seems to be downtown(?). She has never been and has zero idea on what to expect. Shes mainly depending on walking and public transit, but will probably be Ubering as well. Really looking for any good recs, but always love the ones with good used sections and punk heavy selections. Thanks in advance!

I haven't been up there in a few years, but I felt like I was constantly finding hole in the wall record stores all over Montreal (and Toronto) the times I have been up there. In the downtown area there's a store called Cheap Thrills that is a pretty cool used book and record store. A little bit outside that area is Fin du Vinyle. I found all sorts of cool stuff there. 

8 hours ago, billya said:

I haven't been up there in a few years, but I felt like I was constantly finding hole in the wall record stores all over Montreal (and Toronto) the times I have been up there. In the downtown area there's a store called Cheap Thrills that is a pretty cool used book and record store. A little bit outside that area is Fin du Vinyle. I found all sorts of cool stuff there. 

Oh man, Cheap Thrills looks pretty great and is extremely close to where she will be! Looks like a 10 minute walk or so. The other one is a little further, only about 15 min driving it seems, but shes pretty adamant about making record shopping a big part of her travels so Im sure that will make the list lol. Much appreciated!

13 hours ago, GameX said:

Aux 33 Tours is probably your best choice.  I live nearby.  Check the photos on Google, they have stuff for everyone.  They also have a few CDs and cassettes if that's your thing, along with vinyl accessories and sleeves.

One of the gems of my collection came from Aux 33 Tours. A radio single/DJ bootleg thing with mmmbop on one side and Closer by NIN on the other.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:17 PM, GameX said:

Aux 33 Tours is probably your best choice.  I live nearby.  Check the photos on Google, they have stuff for everyone.  They also have a few CDs and cassettes if that's your thing, along with vinyl accessories and sleeves.

Added to the list, thank you!

Aux 33 Tours is definitely your best bet. You'll spend a bunch of time there alone. Was up for Pouzza and spent well over an hour there.

As for non record store recs, definitely stop by Dirty Dogs. Montreal is my favorite city in North America outside of where I live (NYC) and Dirty Dogs is a pilgrimage for me and my wife.

Edited by GradedOnACurve

Tell your wife to use public transit, it's safe and goes anywhere she'll need to go. The metro is awesome, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Uber is expensive here! 

For stores: Aux 33 Tours for everything (one of the best record stores in the world), Cheap Thrills for the staircase and its proximity to downtown (and a good punk section), Soundcentral, Phonopolis for the eclectic stuff and the donuts nearby (Bernie's), Atom Heart for the stroll up Saint-Laurent or Parc Ave afterward, La Rama for the electronic stuff, Death of Vinyl for the digging, 180g for the hip-hop, and if you want more Francophone vibes check out Francophonies.  There are a few more but those are the ones worth visiting IMO. 

Hope your wife enjoys her time here! 

On 6/8/2022 at 2:52 PM, rabbitvinyl said:

Tell your wife to use public transit, it's safe and goes anywhere she'll need to go. The metro is awesome, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Interesting, I'm a big transit fan (and will still use it), but was 'warned' by a colleague in Toronto that the Montreal metro was weird and you had to know French to use it.

2 hours ago, smailtronic said:

Interesting, I'm a big transit fan (and will still use it), but was 'warned' by a colleague in Toronto that the Montreal metro was weird and you had to know French to use it.

Nah its pretty easy I've used it before. Just use Google. I'm not sure how much you travelled internationally but its not very difficult with Google sans construction notices, then you need to use a translate feature.

Its not nearly as big of a system as NY or Chicago, and I'd bet most of what you want to see is Downtown anyway. Most Metro stops are there and its pretty walkable at points too especially Old Montreal. Whats also cool is the subway has rubber tires so its not as loud as other Metros and definitely has more European feel.