PO: Third Eye Blind - Unplugged

Third Eye Blind is releasing a semi-acoustic album, Unplugged on June 24th; per Apple Music. 

As of now, all I’ve found is the Amazon Preorder for a December release:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09ZJ53FLQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

https://orcd.co/howsitgoingtobeacoustic

Edited by beardacus

June 24th release confirmed.

https://www.altpress.com/news/third-eye-blind-unplugged-hows-it-going-to-be-acoustic/

I’m honestly shocked they are including “Second Born” on this release. That’s a lost B-side that was supposed to be on the follow up on ‘Ursa Major,’ ‘Ursa Minor.’ I figured that song would never see the official light of day due to ongoing litigation battles with their former members of that era. I guess re-recording it gives them the right to do so. 

19 hours ago, beardacus said:

June 24th release confirmed.

https://www.altpress.com/news/third-eye-blind-unplugged-hows-it-going-to-be-acoustic/

I’m honestly shocked they are including “Second Born” on this release. That’s a lost B-side that was supposed to be on the follow up on ‘Ursa Major,’ ‘Ursa Minor.’ I figured that song would never see the official light of day due to ongoing litigation battles with their former members of that era. I guess re-recording it gives them the right to do so. 

Hope they do it good because the og demo is amazing.  I didn’t look at the tracklist, but now I’m def in!

On 6/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, deftbarley said:

I wonder what they mean by acoustic? Having sound?

Lol i was thinking the same. Like, when did synthesizer and a lack of an acoustic guitar = "acoustic"/unplugged lol Gotta say I dont hate the rendition though

Edited by ethanpricington

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

1999 still falls within “the 90s”.

Also, you can count me in the minority who liked Out of the Vein in '03. I also liked a few songs from Ursa Major & Dopamine. And they're cover of Happy Diving's "10" on Thanks For Everything was the most 3EB they've sounded in a while.  

26 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Also, you can count me in the minority who liked Out of the Vein in '03. I also liked a few songs from Ursa Major & Dopamine. And they're cover of Happy Diving's "10" on Thanks For Everything was the most 3EB they've sounded in a while.  

It’s funny you mention OOTV; in the late 90s and early 00s – as a preteen – I really gravitated towards the main singles from S/T and Blue.  But this was way before I started to appreciate full albums front to back, so I never actually checked out anything else by the band.  A shame, I know.

By 2005 I was listening to a lot of VC-core, and really deep-diving “modern” genres, labels, artists, etc.  As a 16 year-old, anything I was listening to at 11 felt prehistoric and corny.  So I didn’t revisit any 3EB for a long while.

It wasn’t until 2011 that a [now] ex of mine was adamant that OOTV is the best 3EB album, and was still held in high regard by her.  So one shift I threw it on to soak it in, and found myself surprised at how fun it was.  It actually kind of inspired me to check out S/T and Blue, end to end.  To this day I hear the singles from those records and think of walking home from school, firing up Winamp on Windows 98 / XP, and procrastinating homework with MSN Messenger.  They’re kind of nostalgic but also kind of ugh.  I think there are far better songs on each album that I enjoy today.

Anyway.  All this to say that I can actively enjoy those first 3 albums quite a bit today, for when that alternative / pop mood strikes.  Ironically enough I had listened to all of OOTV for the first time in a bit, on a drive this past Saturday.  It’s still a very consistent, fun album… I’m surprised it doesn’t get talked about nearly as much as the S/T or Blue.  I’d maybe argue that it’s better than the latter.

Still haven’t even tried out Ursa Major after a decade+.  I couldn’t really tell you what I’m waiting for; maybe I assume(d) with such a large gap between it and OOTV, it must surely not hold up to the first 3 albums.  I’m not really sure.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It’s funny you mention OOTV; in the late 90s and early 00s – as a preteen – I really gravitated towards the main singles from S/T and Blue.  But this was way before I started to appreciate full albums front to back, so I never actually checked out anything else by the band.  A shame, I know.

By 2005 I was listening to a lot of VC-core, and really deep-diving “modern” genres, labels, artists, etc.  As a 16 year-old, anything I was listening to at 11 felt prehistoric and corny.  So I didn’t revisit any 3EB for a long while.

It wasn’t until 2011 that a [now] ex of mine was adamant that OOTV is the best 3EB album, and was still held in high regard by her.  So one shift I threw it on to soak it in, and found myself surprised at how fun it was.  It actually kind of inspired me to check out S/T and Blue, end to end.  To this day I hear the singles from those records and think of walking home from school, firing up Winamp on Windows 98 / XP, and procrastinating homework with MSN Messenger.  They’re kind of nostalgic but also kind of ugh.  I think there are far better songs on each album that I enjoy today.

Anyway.  All this to say that I can actively enjoy those first 3 albums quite a bit today, for when that alternative / pop mood strikes.  Ironically enough I had listened to all of OOTV for the first time in a bit, on a drive this past Saturday.  It’s still a very consistent, fun album… I’m surprised it doesn’t get talked about nearly as much as the S/T or Blue.  I’d maybe argue that it’s better than the latter.

Still haven’t even tried out Ursa Major after a decade+.  I couldn’t really tell you what I’m waiting for; maybe I assume(d) with such a large gap between it and OOTV, it must surely not hold up to the first 3 albums.  I’m not really sure.

Same here. We must be about the same age because my connection to 3EB was purely off the radio hits/singles too.  And beginning in 2001 with my discovery of Linkin Park and 'heavier' music, my listening to anything my mom listened to in the 90s was immediately "boring" lol. Which is ironic (pun intended) as I'm in love with all that stuff from the 90s now and have a specific section of my collection dedicated to it. 

Anyways, it wasn't until like 2004/2005 when He Is Legend covered "Wounded" did I discover Blue. And similarly, it wasn't until 2010+ before I started exploring S/T & Blue in their entirety. We saw them live in OKC in 2017 for 30th Anniversary Tour of S/T. It was a magical night and Stephen and the band actually sounded great (I was a bit worried lol)

I do remember listening to Ursa Major right after it's release in 2009 (probably because I was downloading anything new from LimeWire at the time). I enjoyed a few songs - checkout "Don't Believe a Word", "Bonfire" and "Dao of St. Paul". They're your typical 3EB stuff. 

2 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

We must be about the same age because my connection to 3EB was purely off the radio hits/singles too.  And beginning in 2001 with my discovery of Linkin Park and 'heavier' music, my listening to anything my mom listened to in the 90s was immediately "boring" lol. 

To lean even further into the Spider-Man meme here, I neglected to mention that my mom had a copy of Blue that she kept in the car with a random assortment of CDs.  It was among the ranks of Bon Jovi, Puddle of Mudd, and Three Doors Down.  Maybe a Shrek soundtrack or something in there for good measure.  Suffice to say, teenage me had automatically nope’d away from all of those for obvious reasons.  So in a way, it’s kinda’ Blue’s own fault for having so much mom appeal and hanging out with the wrong crowd.

3eb slaps and I just saw them this past summer with TBS.  Sure, the S/T album is a classic straight through, but they’re still putting out good, relevant music IMHO.  ‘Our Bande Apart’ and ‘Screamer’ are great albums.  I think they get lumped in with 90’s bands like Matchbox 20 and Eve 6 which are ehh (to me personally).