PO: Pianos Become the Teeth - Drift (8/26/2022)

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

God this band is so boring now 

PBTT is doing what I wish The National and La Dispute would be doing, but they're all busy doing what American Football is doing, which is basically what Death Cab For Cutie was doing in 2011.

Tl:Dr these songs are cool headphone music, and not pretentious. I like 'em and want to hear more.

25 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

PBTT is doing what I wish The National and La Dispute would be doing, but they're all busy doing what American Football is doing, which is basically what Death Cab For Cutie was doing in 2011.

Tl:Dr these songs are cool headphone music, and not pretentious. I like 'em and want to hear more.

it's a perfect headphones album

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I’m surprised by how good this record is.  I thought the singles were pretty nice on their own but the entire flow and energy of this record is something else.  At 37 minutes it’s lean and “mean”, and I already like it way more than Wait For Love.  I’ve never had an issue with their stylistic shift over the years but this record sounds like they’ve managed to fully dial into it.

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, I’m surprised by how good this record is.  I thought the singles were pretty nice on their own but the entire flow and energy of this record is something else.  At 37 minutes it’s lean and “mean”, and I already like it way more than Wait For Love.  I’ve never had an issue with their stylistic shift over the years but this record sounds like they’ve managed to fully dial into it.

SHAMELESS PLUG: https://chorus.fm/features/interviews/mike-york-of-pianos-become-the-teeth/

Having spent more time with this record I get the feeling this is a concept album about being diagnosed with alzheimer's? Any time the word "drift" is mentioned it seems like it's in this context. Pair, the last song on the album takes place in a hospital, contrasting how both birth and death occur in the same building.

I also here mention of someone named Lou. I'm not sure if this is a character in a story or someone close to the band that struggled with an illness? 

The song The Days (my favorite on the album), kinda reinforces this idea.

"Wasting, waiting for this invitation
As I drip into the horror

But I'm saving up everything I said for my remorseful days
Laying with my children with silence on my breath

While I'm drinking all the rain
Wasting, waiting for this revelation
As I crack through the floor

But I'm writing down everything you say for my dementia days
Laying with my children with whiskey on my breath"

18 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Having spent more time with this record I get the feeling this is a concept album about being diagnosed with alzheimer's? Any time the word "drift" is mentioned itda seems like it's in this context. Pair, the last song on the album takes place in a hospital, contrasting how both birth and death occur in the same building.

I also here mention of someone named Lou. I'm not sure if this is a character in a story or someone close to the band that struggled with an illness? 

Kyle's dad had MS. The lack long after is about his death if I remember right. It could be influenced by that.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

This album fucks

I’ll see that claim and raise you on it – this is personally my favorite PBTT record to date.

I said it.

Completely unexpected considering how eh I felt about WFL.  I’ve enjoyed everything they had put out prior to that LP, but the flow of Drift, its production, and their choice of melodies & track progression this time around… pound for pound, punch for punch, I find it so consistent.  It’s doing it for me.  I think at its core it’s probably more of a post-rock record and that could be why it’s resonating so well with me.

I also can’t help but feel like there’s probably quite a bit of overlap between people who hate this record and Turnover’s Good Nature.