PO Now: The Black Angels - Wilderness of Mirrors 2xLP out 9-16-22 on Partisan Records

Black or Coke Bottle Clear/Red Clear vinyl 140g variants at The Black Angels website: https://mirrors.theblackangels.com/format/1056202-wilderness-of-mirrors

Black vinyl 140g from Partisan Records: https://store.partisanrecords.com/release/307612-the-black-angels-wilderness-of-mirrors

Clear w/ Red and Black Swirl 180g vinyl at Levitation website: https://levitation.fm/collections/vinyl/products/black-angels-wilderness-of-mirrors-levitation-edition

Opaque Blue/Red 140g vinyl at Fuzz Club: https://fuzzclub.com/collections/the-black-angels/products/the-black-angels-wilderness-of-mirrors

313355.jpg

ReleaseProduct-307612-169390.jpg

ReleaseProduct-307612-169389.jpg

Edited by mcpherson123

• mcpherson123 changed the title to PO Now: The Black Angels - Wilderness of Mirrors 2xLP out 9-16-22 on Partisan Records

7 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

I lost track of these guys and don't think I’ve listened to anything since Phosphene Dream. I’ll have to give them a chance again. 

I would definitely recommend checking out the rest of their material.

50 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

I saw them last night. My 15th black angels show.

I have heard a copy of the full album. It's worth purchasing but sits in their lower tier of releases

That's awesome that you've seen them so many times. I have yet to see them once. I was supposed to see them in February but those shows were canceled. My reschedule date is October 8th.

I'm incredibly jealous you've been able to hear it already. How did you make that happen? Your assessment worries me a little bit but based on the 8 or so tracks I've heard live from various YouTube videos and the two livestreams they've done in the last two years, I think I'm going to be at least content with the album. The version of "Witout A Trace" that they did at that Levitation Session on May 15th makes it seem like that song is worth the price of admission alone. That performance in particular made audible a ton of extra and beautiful sounding layers that are either lost in the cell phone mic recorded versions or perhaps were added to the live arrangement after the older crowd videos were recorded. I hope that is what the album version will sound like.

• 3 months later...

So this has been out for nearly a month and I have to say, not just due to the novelty of the material and that I was deeply anticipating its release, but I have to say this is a top 3 album for them even though they don't have more than 6 LP's under their belt. It has some heavy competition. There are so many wonderful dimensions and styles on this album. The eponymous track is such a cool and weird departure that fits perfectly into their repertoire but feels totally fresh. I actually think I like the back half of the album more than the front and that's saying something because the first half is truly killer. Some early moments feel a little to "thick" for example the heft of the bass and guitars are a little too big and anthemic for their particular brand of mystique but it still works. A couple tracks feel a little bit like early 90's alternative flavors sort of mangled into their late 60's vibe and its slightly disconcerting but once you've gotten through the whole album it all just seems to work. A couple of lyrical moments are a little too on the nose for what I have come to expect from Alex Maas but I can't gripe with the sentiments being presented.

Overall a great album that lived up to the hype I built up for it.

41 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

No problem. I can't recommend it enough. I've pretty much had it playing in my car exclusively since the first weekend it came out and spun the whole  LP like at least ten times.

How's the sound quality on the LP? I've been debating grabbing a copy. I saw a comment on Discogs that it was pressed at RTI but haven't seen much else mentioned in that regard.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:07 PM, wiscodeman said:

How's the sound quality on the LP? I've been debating grabbing a copy. I saw a comment on Discogs that it was pressed at RTI but haven't seen much else mentioned in that regard.

Yeah, I gotta say the vinyl mastering on this is freakin' GREAT! I find the mix to be a bit heavy in the middle as in not panned very wide and maybe a bit too bassy for this style of music, but the mastering quality is phenomenal on my copy. I can't say enough good things about that.