PO: Codeine - Dessau

After the success of Codeine's Frigid StarsLP, the trio of Stephen Immerwahr, John Engle, and Chris Brokaw booked time at Harold Dessau Recording in June 1992 to track an eight-song sophomore album. A few days and a couple of unexplainable high-pitched frequencies later, the record was scrapped, shelved, and forgotten about. Brokaw left the band shortly after, and these songs were re-tracked in various iterations for Codeine's final LP. On its 30th anniversary, Numero has unearthed these recordings, restoring the original White Birchto the band's exacting standards with producer Mike McMackin. A slowcore masterpiece hidden in plain sight.

https://numerogroup.com/products/dessau?fbclid=IwAR1ZnuDA6BoQENQA6cB9a3MA7j2KX1g9RDp5GlIpfuOSdVz6SgaVQKBxGnU

I’m pretty excited to hear this. White Birch is easily my favorite Codeine album and one of my favorites of all time.

17 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

Didn’t see this was already posted in the Karate thread 😑

It’s all good, those releases (and this one) don’t really belong in the Karate thread, anyway.  They were just mentioned in there because VC has a garbage taste in music, and the only people who’d care about Numero-core were already buzzing around in that discussion.

Definitely an expected album drop though.  I’m really eager to hear the main differences.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It’s all good, those releases (and this one) don’t really belong in the Karate thread, anyway.  They were just mentioned in there because VC has a garbage taste in music, and the only people who’d care about Numero-core were already buzzing around in that discussion.

Definitely an expected album drop though.  I’m really eager to hear the main differences.

There’s the “new” version of Sea up on streaming services right now. I need to wait until later to fully check it out though.

55 minutes ago, Coldplay31169 said:

It's so fucking good 😍

No kidding. These guys were so far ahead of their time it isn’t even funny and this version just highlights it. Everything is so punchy and pleasing as hell to listen to. The tone is just so perfect on every instrument. I really wish they’d do one last tour. I saw them a couple times during the 2012 tour and they were some of the heaviest shows I have ever seen.

37 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

No kidding. These guys were so far ahead of their time it isn’t even funny and this version just highlights it. Everything is so punchy and pleasing as hell to listen to. The tone is just so perfect on every instrument. I really wish they’d do one last tour. I saw them a couple times during the 2012 tour and they were some of the heaviest shows I have ever seen.

I wonder if the songs with different track names are just alternate names for more White Burch demos or completely new songs that never saw the light of day

14 minutes ago, Coldplay31169 said:

I wonder if the songs with different track names are just alternate names for more White Burch demos or completely new songs that never saw the light of day

All of them have been released in some form so far. A couple are songs that came out with the bonus stuff when the reissues happened.

13 minutes ago, Coldplay31169 said:

Oh ok thanks. Still will be new to me then haha.

I didn’t even think to check the tracklist until you said something and am slightly bummed that Vacancy and Kitchen Light aren’t on there. Still super solid. I’m really excited to hear the version of Realize.

• 3 months later...

I figured all the Numero threads would be popping off this morning but since Codeine is easily the biggest draw, thought I’d leave this here. Looks like I am going to LA.

Twenty years is a long time to do anything, let alone a record company. Especially in the 21st century. Somehow Numero managed to survive downloading, the collapse of several distributors, streaming, vinyl, and the ever evolving and particular tastes of the average reissue connoisseur, and has arrived in its second decade doing our most adventurous work. We were ten when we began looking at ’90s indie as a potential source of artists ripe for rediscovery. We spent Numero’s teenage years making lavish box sets for Codeine, Unwound, and Karate, just like we wished we had in our actual teenage years in the 1990s.

Numero Twenty is a reissue of a feeling, of an era. Those beforetimes when we weren’t connected electronically and found out about cool shit through Letraset flyers and word of mouth; of mix tapes, and letters, and beat up atlases in the glove box.

Spread out over two nights, Numero Twenty will bring to the stage 10 dynamic combos from our 200-line universe, including Unwound, Codeine, The Hated, Karate, Ida, Chisel, Everyone Asked About You, Rex, and Ui. Headquartered at Downtown LA’s historic Palace Theater, Numero Twenty will sprawl out across all three floors, with multiple bars, food vendors, and a pop up record store located inside.”

Would be very cool to attend to that, 100%.  Just wish it was almost anywhere other than downtown LA.  I’m significantly closer to it than you, Bronch, but I just don’t think it’s in the cards for me.  Settling for that Unwound tour early next year and maybe crossing my fingers that Codeine will take a page from Duster / Unwound and either start touring or recording again. 🤞

59 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I figured all the Numero threads would be popping off this morning but since Codeine is easily the biggest draw, thought I’d leave this here. Looks like I am going to LA.

Twenty years is a long time to do anything, let alone a record company. Especially in the 21st century. Somehow Numero managed to survive downloading, the collapse of several distributors, streaming, vinyl, and the ever evolving and particular tastes of the average reissue connoisseur, and has arrived in its second decade doing our most adventurous work. We were ten when we began looking at ’90s indie as a potential source of artists ripe for rediscovery. We spent Numero’s teenage years making lavish box sets for Codeine, Unwound, and Karate, just like we wished we had in our actual teenage years in the 1990s.

Numero Twenty is a reissue of a feeling, of an era. Those beforetimes when we weren’t connected electronically and found out about cool shit through Letraset flyers and word of mouth; of mix tapes, and letters, and beat up atlases in the glove box.

Spread out over two nights, Numero Twenty will bring to the stage 10 dynamic combos from our 200-line universe, including Unwound, Codeine, The Hated, Karate, Ida, Chisel, Everyone Asked About You, Rex, and Ui. Headquartered at Downtown LA’s historic Palace Theater, Numero Twenty will sprawl out across all three floors, with multiple bars, food vendors, and a pop up record store located inside.”

Bought my ticket. I'll be there. Legitimately the most stacked lineup I've seen (pertaining to my own tastes) I think the only two bands I haven't heard are UI and Tsunami. Even Rex I'm stoked for since I'm missing them when they play my area in October. AND WE'RE SEEING THE HATED AND IDA?! WHAT YEAR IS THIS?

38 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

Bought my ticket. I'll be there. Legitimately the most stacked lineup I've seen (pertaining to my own tastes) I think the only two bands I haven't heard are UI and Tsunami. Even Rex I'm stoked for since I'm missing them when they play my area in October. AND WE'RE SEEING THE HATED AND IDA?! WHAT YEAR IS THIS?

I got my tickets too. Now I just need to put some money away for plane tickets down. So stoked to see Codeine again.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Would be very cool to attend to that, 100%.  Just wish it was almost anywhere other than downtown LA.  I’m significantly closer to it than you, Bronch, but I just don’t think it’s in the cards for me.  Settling for that Unwound tour early next year and maybe crossing my fingers that Codeine will take a page from Duster / Unwound and either start touring or recording again. 🤞

Oof, didn’t know where the venue is at but that sounds awful. I’m going to be happy and slightly irritated if Codeine announces a tour after I just spent $300 pretty much specifically to see them. Already seeing Unwound three times that month and everything else is just a bonus.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

So what's the deal with the palace in LA? Is this an all seated venue.

Was going to fly out for this but not sure now if venue is all  ga but seated.

Pretty positive The Palace is ALL seated.

Saw Sparks there in 2018 and had 5th row seats. A lot of people ended up in the area between the stage and seats. There was only room for about 150 people there though.