my thread for dumb questions

So have a Technics direct drive TT with onboard preamp into a tube amp which is very nice but cant manipulate the sound at all so bass/treble etc dont always come through well. Am going to buy a phono stage (Cambridge Duo) to mitigate some of this but do i need a dedicated preamp as well? Mainly since a cartridge uprade might need more power?

9 hours ago, shamrocks said:

So have a Technics direct drive TT with onboard preamp into a tube amp which is very nice but cant manipulate the sound at all so bass/treble etc dont always come through well. Am going to buy a phono stage (Cambridge Duo) to mitigate some of this but do i need a dedicated preamp as well? Mainly since a cartridge uprade might need more power?

The Cambridge “phono stage” you mentioned is a phono pre amp. As long as your tube amplifier works to get a line level signal from a source then you shouldn’t need anything else. the Duo can handle moving magnet and moving coil cartridges so even if you swapped your cartridge out it’s unlikely you would need anything else. 

On 7/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, shamrocks said:

will the phono stage help bring out some of the highs and lows or will i need another component (like an equalizer?) to do that? Since there appears to be no way to adjust "tone" (again, thread for dumb questions)

Depends on what phono stage you get. Some may have an EQ… I would be curious what amp/speakers you are using, if those were of good quality an EQ usually isn’t even needed 

• 4 weeks later...

Is this thread for anyone to ask dumb questions??

I have an Audio Technica LP60 which has been a great beginner turntable for over 2 years. Lately everything has started to sound distorted and I can't figure out why. I've replaced the stylus and made sure the speakers weren't the problem. 

So I may go ahead and replace it but I am looking for something that's maybe a little more high end while also being fully automatic. Any recommendations? Otherwise I may just get another LP60. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, erousso said:

Is this thread for anyone to ask dumb questions??

I have an Audio Technica LP60 which has been a great beginner turntable for over 2 years. Lately everything has started to sound distorted and I can't figure out why. I've replaced the stylus and made sure the speakers weren't the problem. 

So I may go ahead and replace it but I am looking for something that's maybe a little more high end while also being fully automatic. Any recommendations? Otherwise I may just get another LP60. 

At the very least your stylus is probably dirty. Either that or it’s worn down. Needles are only good for around 1000 hours of playback. 

LP60 is a starter table, wouldn’t recommend to buy it again. Unless you like replacing your turntable every two years.