Buy from Japan

46 minutes ago, mike said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Anytime I’ve bought from Japan in recent years they’ve all used DHL and it’s here in days. I had an order show up in two days once! (And the shipping was always under $20)

Whenever I buy ANYTHING from JP within the past few years it's always DHL and within 2-3 days. 

It's great. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Posting in a Moonbeams thread.

I dream of a record person taking a shit ton of money from me to buy a load of Japanese pressings with OBI's whenever they see them cheap and can get me a bunch and ship them to me.  

In the before-COVID times, every time as buddy of mine in a touring band would go to Japan, I'd have them go record shopping for me. Japan is my absolute bucket-list vacation spot and honestly, it's largely because of the record stores. (And also the culture and the food and the nature etc etc etc, but man, those record stores!)

52 minutes ago, scottheisel said:

In the before-COVID times, every time as buddy of mine in a touring band would go to Japan, I'd have them go record shopping for me. Japan is my absolute bucket-list vacation spot and honestly, it's largely because of the record stores. (And also the culture and the food and the nature etc etc etc, but man, those record stores!)

I've been 2 times and managed to hit around100 stores in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.  The big flea market in Tokyo at the race track is also a killer place to find records.  I could go on all day.  Japan is my favorite place on earth.

Edited by ZeroNowhere

11 hours ago, scottheisel said:

There would be so much to do, but all I'd want to do is go to record stores lol

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, ZeroNowhere said:

I've been 2 times and managed to hit around100 stores in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.  The big flea market in Tokyo at the race track is also a killer place to find records.  I could go on all day.  Japan is my favorite place on earth.

Any stores that stood out for curation and rarities? I'll be going  to all three of those cities in October. 

Just got back from a tour in Japan and snagged just under 25 records.. 100 Yen (which is typically the equivalent to 1 USD) is currently worth $0.69 USD.. So some extremely hard to find records we're all about 30% off. 

Tristeza - Dream Signals In Full Circles

Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute (Euro 1st Press, 2xLP)

GBV - Universal Truths and Cycles

Beck - Mellow Gold (Mother Load Mispress)

Bitch Magnet - Ben Hur (1st Press)

Idlewild - Hope Is Important (1st Press)

Were just a couple of my favorite finds.

4 hours ago, matthewfrank said:

Just got back from a tour in Japan and snagged just under 25 records.. 100 Yen (which is typically the equivalent to 1 USD) is currently worth $0.69 USD.. So some extremely hard to find records we're all about 30% off. 

Tristeza - Dream Signals In Full Circles

Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute (Euro 1st Press, 2xLP)

GBV - Universal Truths and Cycles

Beck - Mellow Gold (Mother Load Mispress)

Bitch Magnet - Ben Hur (1st Press)

Idlewild - Hope Is Important (1st Press)

Were just a couple of my favorite finds.

Wow. Nice. Any record stores to recommend, in general?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 4:51 AM, matthewfrank said:

I only hit the chains on this run, only had limited time before load in/soundchecks. Disk Union and Tower Records are full of gems.

Happy digging!

I'll be sure to hit those, and hope I stumple on some well curated shops that have hard to find gems. 

8 hours ago, IndigoHollow said:

You two must meet in Tokyo, take a photo and upload it here! Also October is an awesome month to visit Japan, I travelled all over the country several years ago.

Hmm, I'll be in Tokyo from Oct 5-8...Then elsewhere. I have yet to research shops in Osaka or Kyoto. I've only got the two chains mentioned above in Tokyo but will do some further digging before leaving.

I'll be in Tokyo from October 4-6!! Let me know if you guys want to do a record store day! Lived there years ago so can get around fine, need to refresh myself on record stores though haha.

Also TOTALLY take advantage of the tanking yen, I lived there when it was 77yen to a dollar, so things around 150 now are super cheap if you come in as a tourist!

On 9/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, fueledbymike said:

I'll be in Tokyo from October 4-6!! Let me know if you guys want to do a record store day! Lived there years ago so can get around fine, need to refresh myself on record stores though haha.

Also TOTALLY take advantage of the tanking yen, I lived there when it was 77yen to a dollar, so things around 150 now are super cheap if you come in as a tourist!

As much as I would love to make this happen, it's not possible. I just double checked and we're leaving on October 5th from Portland, but we're not arriving until the next afternoon, on the 6th. I had my dates a bit off. Damn, dude. So close...!

On 9/19/2023 at 2:00 PM, skycriesmary said:

As much as I would love to make this happen, it's not possible. I just double checked and we're leaving on October 5th from Portland, but we're not arriving until the next afternoon, on the 6th. I had my dates a bit off. Damn, dude. So close...!

SOOO totally had my dates wrong haha. I am in the 10-13th... I am trying to get some job interviews lined up but will see how my free time works out.