PO: Slipknot - The End, So Far

Got my yellow copy from Bullmoose this morning. Hope to spin it tonight. 

Kind of interesting, shrink has a hype sticker covering the name of the album (The End…For Now) replacing it with “The End So Far”

Edit: Spinning it now. Sounds pretty good. Pressed at 45RPM. 

Edited by webdoggy

1 hour ago, ZeroNowhere said:

I jammed this last night and thought it was mediocre at best.  There are a few decent songs but I can’t see myself ever going back to this album.  

Jim and Clown agree with you.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/jim-root-has-misgivings-about-slipknots-new-album-end-so-far

It's also interesting how the jacket on a lot of the records actually says "The End, For Now" and that's covered by the hype sticker that says "The End, So Far."

1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/jim-root-has-misgivings-about-slipknots-new-album-end-so-far

It's also interesting how the jacket on a lot of the records actually says "The End, For Now" and that's covered by the hype sticker that says "The End, So Far."

Yeah, I saw that article the other day.  Jay Weinberg has some awesome moments but a lot of the songs don't feel like they should have been released under the Slipknot name.  Like maybe Cory wrote them or something.  All I know is I want hard driving, loud and heavy Slipknot and a large portion of this is not that.  If that's the direction they're going in, good for them, but I'm out on buying anything moving forward.

19 hours ago, N8TRU said:

have they said anything about that yet.  it has to be a mistake right?

1 hour ago, gutterball1 said:

have they said anything about that yet.  it has to be a mistake right?

It's not a mistake. The first pressings were all made when the album title was still The End For Now. Then they changed the album title and some changed masks. Hence why the gatefold image only features Jay and Corey's new masks. 

9 hours ago, richardp said:

It's not a mistake. The first pressings were all made when the album title was still The End For Now. Then they changed the album title and some changed masks. Hence why the gatefold image only features Jay and Corey's new masks. 

oh wow that is bizarre.  wonder why they would change the name of the album like that.

It's all seems like there was some rush, starting with songs  and ending on title and layout. Strange for such a big company Slipknot now is.

As for the music - haven't listened to them for a while, but tried new album on nostalgia wave related to vinyl represses. Well, it's not good to say at least. Strange to start album this way, most tracks are.. meh. One old-scholl banger "H337" is terrific, though.

3 hours ago, seku said:

It's all seems like there was some rush, starting with songs  and ending on title and layout. Strange for such a big company Slipknot now is.

As for the music - haven't listened to them for a while, but tried new album on nostalgia wave related to vinyl represses. Well, it's not good to say at least. Strange to start album this way, most tracks are.. meh. One old-scholl banger "H337" is terrific, though.

Gotta agree it's a very mid record. .5 was always my least favorite but I think this one will hold that title. They might be trying to get out of their contract sooner rather than later and didn't care if it was their best effort or not. I wouldn't blame them if so. They don't need a record label.

Listened to the album earlier today. It's not what I expected. Feels underwhelming and meh at best. It's almost as if it's suffering slight identity crisis. Overall, it sounds like Stone Sour doing Slipknot covers without any motivation to make something impactful. 

From an artist perspective it is hard to judge - maybe the wanted it in this way or maybe not. But for me it smells a bit like „milking the cow“ - to fulfill Roadrunner‘s contract and then move on. At least that is what the pricing strategy is telling me. I mean I also spent 40 bucks for the Iowa repress and usually I am in with Slipknot but this time not. I save for G n‘ R UYI 500 bucks edition 😉

On 10/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, richardp said:

https://www.theprp.com/2022/10/06/news/slipknots-new-album-the-end-so-far-was-printed-with-the-wrong-title-on-select-vinyl-cassette-variants/