PO: Alice In Chains - Dirt

On 8/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, kannibal said:

I was hoping for this info, but I don’t know of any extra songs from these sessions, if there are any.

Agreed, I have all the 12" singles from when they were released and always found it a little unusual that they only used live tracks and other hit singles as the B sides. So I'm assuming these are single sided.

Edited by chiefwahoo

1 hour ago, chiefwahoo said:

Agreed, I have all the 12" singles from when they were released and always found it a little unusual that they only used live tracks and other hit singles as the B sides. So I'm assuming these are single sided.

Yeah, AIC never really "did" B-sides or unreleased tracks, even back in the day. And their archives have been picked over pretty ravenously by the Sony vultures (ahem) for a good 2 decades now. 
That said, there's a decent amount of non-album stuff they COULD use as B-sides on those singles.... Although, knowing Sony and AIC, this probably won't happen. But all these tracks have been available digitally for years on the Music Bank box. 

"Fear The Voices"  (Dirt studio outtake)
"Iron Gland" (Dirt outtake that's a 43-second throwaway)

"Lying Season" (1991 demo, considered for Dirt)

"Rooster" (1991 demo)

"Junkhead" (1991 demo)

"What The Hell Have I" (Dirt studio outtake, appeared on Last Action Hero soundtrack)

"A Little Bitter" (Dirt studio outtake, appeared on Last Action Hero soundtrack)

There's also a live version of "Rooster" on the Nothing Safe compilation. And the Last Action Hero tracks already appeared on vinyl on this double RSD 7".... although that's pricey now, I guess.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10167478-Alice-In-Chains-What-The-Hell-Have-I-Get-Born-Again

Edited by filthyrich

22 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

Yeah, AIC never really "did" B-sides or unreleased tracks, even back in the day. And their archives have been picked over pretty ravenously by the Sony vultures (ahem) for a good 2 decades now. 
That said, there's a decent amount of non-album stuff they COULD use as B-sides on those singles.... Although, knowing Sony and AIC, this probably won't happen. But all these tracks have been available digitally for years on the Music Bank box. 

"Fear The Voices"  (Dirt studio outtake)
"Iron Gland" (Dirt outtake that's a 43-second throwaway)

"Lying Season" (1991 demo, considered for Dirt)

"Rooster" (1991 demo)

"Junkhead" (1991 demo)

"What The Hell Have I" (Dirt studio outtake, appeared on Last Action Hero soundtrack)

"A Little Bitter" (Dirt studio outtake, appeared on Last Action Hero soundtrack)

There's also a live version of "Rooster" on the Nothing Safe compilation. And the Last Action Hero tracks already appeared on vinyl on this double RSD 7".... although that's pricey now, I guess.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10167478-Alice-In-Chains-What-The-Hell-Have-I-Get-Born-Again

Good call on all the extras!

Still on the fence on the box. This box is already better than the Facelift with the non-pic disc. It's $100 more than I paid for Facelift tho. The magnetic metal shavings is kinda cool? As far as the 7s, I'm betting they are one sided etched... If this is still up by next weekend, my weaknesses will get the better of me i fear☣

17 hours ago, faaip de oiad said:

Still on the fence on the box. This box is already better than the Facelift with the non-pic disc. It's $100 more than I paid for Facelift tho. The magnetic metal shavings is kinda cool? As far as the 7s, I'm betting they are one sided etched... If this is still up by next weekend, my weaknesses will get the better of me i fear☣

100% in the same boat and agree about the 7" as they offer no information about a b-side. I know I am gonna regret not buying this one. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, faaip de oiad said:

I heard this is a hot pressing. I wonder what this will sound like compared to the mov which is on 1LP. Either way can't wait! 

I got the orange version in the mail today and can confirm it is hot. That said, I have only listened to side A so far. 

1 hour ago, faaip de oiad said:

spacer.png

Just received this not less than an hour ago! Mos def an upgrade to my mov! The wider grooves gives the music space to breathe. 🤤

BTW, this needs to be cleaned Big time! Black paper dust throughout...fyi

Glad to hear this an improvement over the MOV press, which I've always found to be a bit lacking. 

Side question - how do you like that record brush attached to your table? I have one but never set it up. Felt like too much work. Does it do a good job?