PO: Alice In Chains - Dirt

4 hours ago, ntslash said:

Side question - how do you like that record brush attached to your table? I have one but never set it up. Felt like too much work. Does it do a good job? 

As far as the antistatic arm, I had to use it coz I've got carpeting. Carpet lint tends to sticks to my records sometimes. It actually works just for that. Not too sure if the static is subdued much tho. Not hard to set it up. Just had to find a spot on the RP3 that wouldn't disturb the lid. 

On 9/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

Canceling an order on Walmart.com is a waste of time, they'll always ship them.

I ordered a red from Walmart for local same day delivery. After ordering it was then showing that none were available at that store anymore, and sat at "preparing order" for several days. I canceled it when I saw another local store had them in stock for curbside pickup. That second store apparently didn't have it in stock, but felt that a copy of Metallica's AJFA was a proper substitute and prepared that for pickup instead. So I canceled that order, and just ordered a copy online.

The copy I ordered online shipped, no problem. Then the first canceled local delivery order shipped Fedex from across the country?

Now i'm just waiting for that canceled Metallica substitution to ship, apparently? 😂

Edited by mitchard

For those curious about the sound quality of this pressing, especially in light of the debate raging on Discogs, here's my take. I had the MOV pressing, which is good considering how much is crammed on one disc, but I think I would give this new one the edge. Yes, the colored vinyl has a touch more surface noise (yellow in my case), but it doesn't interfere with the music at all... I've listened to the whole thing now a couple of times with headphones, and you never hear any pops or other noise during the music itself, which is a major plus and an achievement of sorts these days. Some people don't seem to like how this is mastered, and it is pretty loud, though I wouldn't describe it as overly compressed. A little more bass would have been nice, but it's certainly present. The only part that bugs me a bit is the opening part of Them Bones... that weird "Ah!" part at the very beginning sounds just a bit off... not sure how to describe it, but in this case, my CD copy sounds a little more cohesive. Otherwise, this vinyl version is clearly more enjoyable than the CD. Instruments have just a bit more room and the treble is a tiny bit softer, and definitely holds up much better when you turn it up. Also, I've always found this album to be a bit of a slog towards the end, until you get to what I consider to be the absolute pinnacle of grunge, which is Would?. Splitting this hour-long album into fourths actually helped me stay in it more and appreciate some of the songs I didn't care for as much. The jacket is a let-down, they definitely could have done more with that.

Well said, I feel like I wrote this although I always had the original European import. I was doing  a very quick comparison of the two in general and the "Ah!" at the beginning sounded weird to me as well, specifically the last one. I can't believe you said the same thing. I chalked it up to probably never listening that close before but after you've heard a song a million times, it jumps out when something is off. I may have to go back and listen again. Total slogfest at the end, I still ended up skipping side 3. 

I have spun the Walmart red and the black versions, and I don't notice anything odd about the opening of Them Bones. I will listen harder tonight.

I can't believe people are describing the second half of this album as a slog. I can't imagine skipping side C. This album is about as flawless as they come for me. 

It’s subtle, and I think in my case I have some weird acoustic quirks in my listening room that made it sound weirder than it might for others.

It’s a great album for sure, but for me Would? is the best thing they ever made, and I’ve always been a bit miffed that they never really explored that more atmospheric vibe much further. Something about that composition grabbed me from the first time I heard it (I taped it off the radio in 1995, when I lived in Cambodia of all places…), and it’s kind of haunted me ever since. I think the first three tracks are awesome too. The rest is good of course, I wouldn’t call anything filler, but for me the beginning and the end are the most important.

3 hours ago, ntslash said:

I have spun the Walmart red and the black versions, and I don't notice anything odd about the opening of Them Bones. I will listen harder tonight.

I can't believe people are describing the second half of this album as a slog. I can't imagine skipping side C. This album is about as flawless as they come for me. 

I can’t imagine skipping Junkhead. 

The weakest overall song for me on the whole album is "Junkhead" and even saying that, its still a legit ass jam. Just not the strongest track for me. There are gems that are a cut above the rest on this album but what's left is straight awesome. One semi-weak track and a bunch of gold. Sure, a few of the singles have been a bit more worn out than the deep cuts just due to radio play throughout the 90's and MTV and all that but I stand by this whole album 100%. I've been such a dumbass about getting it on vinyl though. I have no copies and will likely get a black remaster but I've always wanted the Euro OG and the MOV. I've played both a lot as my girlfriend has both. I just don't own one of my own. I was the one who gifted her the OG and I kick myself that I didn't also grab one for myself back when they were under $100 shipping from Europe. Those prices have absolutely EXPLODED now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...