cassette mailers?

I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest a good package in which to mail cassettes? I'm about to announce some cassettes for sale on bandcamp and want to be ready to ship as quickly & cost-effectively as possible. I'm also extremely curious what people ordinarily use to ship -- the USPS has a whole complicated description of Media Mail. I'm wondering what practical experience people have shipping cassettes -- like, is an envelope enough or do the tapes arrive all smashed? Is there some cardboard mailer that works well? Where do you buy mailers (NOT ULINE F*** THOSE WEIRDOS).

Any wisdom/advice would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, sneakyimp said:

I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest a good package in which to mail cassettes? I'm about to announce some cassettes for sale on bandcamp and want to be ready to ship as quickly & cost-effectively as possible. I'm also extremely curious what people ordinarily use to ship -- the USPS has a whole complicated description of Media Mail. I'm wondering what practical experience people have shipping cassettes -- like, is an envelope enough or do the tapes arrive all smashed? Is there some cardboard mailer that works well? Where do you buy mailers (NOT ULINE F*** THOSE WEIRDOS).

Any wisdom/advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2457/Cassette-Packaging/1-Audio-Cassette-Mailer?pricode=WB1503&gadtype=pla&id=S-2457&gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5Kj4_GT33gpZzrIuysaLeneAPo_mIskqOUCbwp_VUznp2b5NxOc-JSRoCfGwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

edit: its ULINE oops

Edited by thefavoriteplay

46 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

https://www.amazon.com/cassette-mailer/s?k=cassette+mailer

so there is no dealing with ULINE

Thanks, @thefavoriteplay -- however, the padded envelopes are a fraction of the cost of the cardboard boxes. E.g., these bubble mailers are about 20 cents each, whereas these cardboard cassette mailers are 82 cents each -- about four times as much. I wonder if the cardboard really helps all that much? If anyone out there has mailed a bunch of individual cassettes (or pairs, threes, small orders), I'd appreciate knowing what experience says about shipping cassettes.

32 minutes ago, sneakyimp said:

Thanks, @thefavoriteplay -- however, the padded envelopes are a fraction of the cost of the cardboard boxes. E.g., these bubble mailers are about 20 cents each, whereas these cardboard cassette mailers are 82 cents each -- about four times as much. I wonder if the cardboard really helps all that much? If anyone out there has mailed a bunch of individual cassettes (or pairs, threes, small orders), I'd appreciate knowing what experience says about shipping cassettes.

I think bubble mailers would be fine just be sure to wrap each tape thoroughly with bubble wrap and backing cardboard on the front and back of the case so the cases don't get cracked in transit. 

How many do you need to ship? I used to cut up cardboard and put that around a cassette wrapped in bubble wrap, but that becomes pretty time-consuming if you are doing more than one or two. The plastic used for shells cracks pretty easily if there is weight put on anything but the perimeter, so it's probably worth trying to use cardboard and bubble wrap too.

13 hours ago, porkdad said:

i've had tapes arrive smashed to shit in bubble mailers. you put cardboard around the tape in bubble mailers to protect.

Received any in those cardboard cassette mailers? And, if so, were they intact? Seems like the extra 60 cents might be worth it if it eliminates the  hassle of dealing with broken merch.

4 hours ago, sneakyimp said:

Received any in those cardboard cassette mailers? And, if so, were they intact? Seems like the extra 60 cents might be worth it if it eliminates the  hassle of dealing with broken merch.

The cardboard cassette mailers rock. They would give me peace of mind if I were sending out a shipment of tapes.

If you are charging for shipping yourself, I'd simply charge enough for shipping and handling costs to cover the cost of them. Just be transparent about why you'd might be charging $5 to mail a tape and people would be appreciate knowing they're getting safe packaging. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, porkdad said:

The cardboard cassette mailers rock. They would give me peace of mind if I were sending out a shipment of tapes.

If you are charging for shipping yourself, I'd simply charge enough for shipping and handling costs to cover the cost of them. Just be transparent about why you'd might be charging $5 to mail a tape and people would be appreciate knowing they're getting safe packaging. 

Yeah the shipping costs will be clearly advertised. I suppose I could hype the product with 'shipped in sturdy cardboard cassette mailers' or something.

• 3 months later...