Jump to content

New Found Glory "Coming Home" Being Pressed?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, erousso said:

Help me understand this...why on Earth would labels not allow vinyl represses for all-but-guaranteed net new revenue on 20-year-old albums. Seems like a no brainer. 

How many people realistically would buy this? 5-10k people? I don't have a number, but neither does the label. It's likely a better use of their time to press some big, mainstream artist's new record than it is even trying to figure out what the magic number is for a 10 year old NFG record. There are probably tons of approvals necessary to press beyond a certain threshold, which would require some sort of market analysis, additional approvals, etc. for it to be worth their time. 2k will sell, and is easy to place backlogged in some queue for 2 years.

 

Just my theory; I don't know what goes into obtaining licenses, if there's a cost sharing element, buybacks if it doesn't sell, etc. Regardless, I think far too many big labels approve excruciatingly small presses of highly-sought after records in less popular genres for it to be just an oversight.

Edited by HardlineKid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, HardlineKid said:

How many people realistically would buy this? 5-10k people? I don't have a number, but neither does the label. It's likely a better use of their time to press some big, mainstream artist's new record than it is even trying to figure out what the magic number is for a 10 year old NFG record. There are probably tons of approvals necessary to press beyond a certain threshold, which would require some sort of market analysis, additional approvals, etc. for it to be worth their time. 2k will sell, and is easy to place backlogged in some queue for 2 years.

 

Just my theory; I don't know what goes into obtaining licenses, if there's a cost sharing element, buybacks if it doesn't sell, etc. Regardless, I think far too many big labels approve excruciatingly small presses of highly-sought after records in less popular genres for it to be just an oversight.

Idk much about this process either. I've only been collecting since 2015, so not that long. I've lost out on vinyl before but the worst experiences I have had have been this drop and the Sticks & Stones drop, the self-titled drop was even pretty bad. 

 

I don't know if it's just a thing with Universal being a shitty to work with but much smaller labels often don't have this problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

Yeah, they're gone. The label said on Instagram that nearly 5,000 orders went through for only 2,000 records.  Assuming that's why they shut their site down. Expect about 3,000 refunds.

Damn - I wanted to read this comment from them, but now they've turned off/removed all comments from the two posts on IG. They know they messed up. And now Chad is kind of throwing them under the bus about it haha https://www.instagram.com/stories/xchadballx/2921427211501276956/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Justinadamk said:

Damn - I wanted to read this comment from them, but now they've turned off/removed all comments from the two posts on IG. They know they messed up. And now Chad is kind of throwing them under the bus about it haha https://www.instagram.com/stories/xchadballx/2921427211501276956/

I mean if they pressed 2k because that's all that Universal allowed them to press then I'm not sure why it's TTTH's fault. 2k would have sold out in seconds no matter which label it was released through. Why isn't Chad calling up Universal and saying "our last three vinyl drops sold out in seconds, lets press more, or do you guys not like making money?"

 

Fat Wreck Chords has like 5 employees and they are dropping cool represses at low prices with plenty of stock all year every year, most of which are in hand when the orders go live. Strung Out's Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues had over 3k pressed at $20 and they aren't nearly the size of NFG. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HardlineKid said:

Chad seems to really get his panties in a bunch about vinyl, doesn't he?

i mean i'd be mad if someone was using my art to make money without my knowledge or blessing...and then not being able to control any aspect about it. but it just means the band themselves weren't working hard enough to get it done themselves so someone had to, its a weird situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

Say it louder. This is how I feel about so many label releases that are underpressed and ignored.

"OUR LAST THREE VINYL DROPS SOLD OUT IN SECONDS, LETS PRESS MORE, OR DO YOU GUYS NOT LIKE MAKING MONEY?"

But seriously, I see certain albums from much smaller bands get repressed constantly and I assume they sell through the inventory so I always wonder why certain albums don't get repressed as often. 

 

I think The Get Up Kids' entire catalog got repressed over the past 18 months but I don't think one Saves The Day album did. Same label and everything. I don't understand it at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, erousso said:

"OUR LAST THREE VINYL DROPS SOLD OUT IN SECONDS, LETS PRESS MORE, OR DO YOU GUYS NOT LIKE MAKING MONEY?"

But seriously, I see certain albums from much smaller bands get repressed constantly and I assume they sell through the inventory so I always wonder why certain albums don't get repressed as often. 

 

I think The Get Up Kids' entire catalog got repressed over the past 18 months but I don't think one Saves The Day album did. Same label and everything. I don't understand it at all. 

Parting Gift released In Reverie in June 2021. Ups & Down was repressed in Nov 2021.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My devil's advocate take on this (and I say this as a spectator, never been involved in writing/recording/releasing music on a label): I guess I understand why Chad Gilbert is upset about small labels acquiring licenses to re-press his music on vinyl without him knowing, but my dude, the reason this is able to happen is because of the contracts you signed when recording and having these large labels release your music. Signing contracts like that can bite you in the ass if you make it big, but it could go the other way around if the band never took off. That's the premise of these types of contracts. The label gives a generous(ish) offer (I assume) but they take on a lot of the risks associated with putting out an album. You'd be able to legally stop it from happening/let your friends put the vinyl out if you hadn't sold your rights to make those kinds of decisions, rather than just banking on "my blessing." 

Idk, am I off-base with this one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dork337 said:

My devil's advocate take on this (and I say this as a spectator, never been involved in writing/recording/releasing music on a label): I guess I understand why Chad Gilbert is upset about small labels acquiring licenses to re-press his music on vinyl without him knowing, but my dude, the reason this is able to happen is because of the contracts you signed when recording and having these large labels release your music. Signing contracts like that can bite you in the ass if you make it big, but it could go the other way around if the band never took off. That's the premise of these types of contracts. The label gives a generous(ish) offer (I assume) but they take on a lot of the risks associated with putting out an album. You'd be able to legally stop it from happening/let your friends put the vinyl out if you hadn't sold your rights to make those kinds of decisions, rather than just banking on "my blessing." 

Idk, am I off-base with this one?

Not off-base at all. It’s called selling out, and this situation is part of the cost of doing so. 
Chad should stop being a whiny bitch and let Catalyst get pressed, for fuck sakes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Justinadamk said:

Damn - I wanted to read this comment from them, but now they've turned off/removed all comments from the two posts on IG. They know they messed up. And now Chad is kind of throwing them under the bus about it haha https://www.instagram.com/stories/xchadballx/2921427211501276956/

Parting gift has always had the comments off. It’s take this to heart IG where you’ll find the comments. And they aren’t turned off/deleted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tokimedo said:

Parting gift has always had the comments off. It’s take this to heart IG where you’ll find the comments. And they aren’t turned off/deleted. 

not always, just the risky releases like STD, ETID and now this. You can easily comment on the higher or with the punches posts :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IndigoHollow said:

Still no email after my order. Anyone else?

Was your card or PayPal charged?

I got an email from PayPal with the payment details but I never successfully checked out. 

So I contacted Parting Gift on IG and they said I should send an email later if I dont receive a confirmation. 

That's what I did and a few hours later they send me a screenshot from my order and that it is awaiting shipment. Hope this helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, redroom said:

Was your card or PayPal charged?

I got an email from PayPal with the payment details but I never successfully checked out. 

So I contacted Parting Gift on IG and they said I should send an email later if I dont receive a confirmation. 

That's what I did and a few hours later they send me a screenshot from my order and that it is awaiting shipment. Hope this helps 

Yes my credit card was charged. I'll drop they a msg, thanx!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×