Awesome Merch/Distro Bankruptcy Affecting Labels & Their Orders (Most Notably Topshelf Recs)

jhulud

Topshelf's distributor is Redeye in the US- that's who gets their new releases into record stores.  Awesome Merch did their mailorder and housed their inventory.

Distribution is kinda like a 101 thing to know about records (especially if you're on a message board about it lol.) But you've clearly been confidently ignorant this whole thread, so...

14 minutes ago, porkdad said:

Topshelf's distributor is Redeye in the US- that's who gets their new releases into record stores.  Awesome Merch did their mailorder and housed their inventory.

Distribution is kinda like a 101 thing to know about records (especially if you're on a message board about it lol.) But you've clearly been confidently ignorant this whole thread, so...

Appreciate it. Wasn't sure who their distributor was so that's where some confusion came in for me. My bad, dude.

Do you know approximately what the percentage of their income is between mail order and distribution by any chance? I'd assume most of their income from phsyical sales cames from mail order, but again, I could be wrong.

I also see that's the only thing you addressed from my last post, didn't tag me, and decided to insult me even though I haven't insulted anyone else, so that's cool of you.

Updated my last post to reflect your correction.

Edited by 75 percent oof

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh lord if you think "ignorant" is an insult no wonder this whole thing that has nothing to do with you is triggering. Holy shit 😂

You know what, dude, you're right actually (the sentiment). I was a little butthurt over it and read more into it than was actually there, put some of my own intonation in there that might not actually have been there.

On 11/4/2015 at 12:44 AM, 75 percent oof said:

It's more that they wanted an unplayable record shipped back to them in the first place...

Topshelf didn't offer/do shit for me except ask for 7 photos (I sent them 3 the first time I said there was an issue, then they wanted more photos, and asked me to play the record and send them a video. Thanks but no thanks, not running my stylus over the issue I was having.) and still act like they didn't believe me that something was pressed into my record.

They then told me to ship it back to them even though it's unplayable. I was pissed enough that I asked them to donate the extra $3 and whatever shipping it back to them costs to the charity that part of the cost of this variant of record went to. I never once asked for or actually expected return shipping, but like I said, shipping back a record that is going to fuck up someone's needle seems pointless.

This is my second order through them, and the second time I've gone through the same bullshit. (First order I placed with them, the record came incredibly warped)

I know it's blasphemous to shit on them around these parts, and I support the hell out of other small labels (looking at you STB, still the best label around) but Topshelf has been complete garbage to me, and "Robbie" who answered my emails can suck my dick.

Tldr: if it's an issue that renders the record unplayable, why ask for it back in the first place? That makes my record cost ~$4 more than it should have.

/rant

Figured out why he's mad guys

1 minute ago, porkdad said:

This isn't a homework assignment... I don't have to quote or address everything you said in order to reply on a fucking forum.

But yeah, I called you ignorant because you're being ignorant and difficult and strange. Hop into any other thread and they're probably calling eachother the r word. 

As I told Shelby, you're actually right. I was a little butthurt and read more into it than I should have.

I was in fact ignorant and you corrected me. Again, appreciate it. I personally don't like what they're doing and have concerns about how the situation came to be, but as I've said repeatedly, if people want to contribute they should go ahead and do so.

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Figured out why he's mad guys

Lol, yup, a 7 year old post about me not liking their customer service at that moment in time made me hate them for allllll time.

Not mad by the way, just don't like any company doing this sort of thing.

Sweet dreams baby boy. Isn't it 1:30am where you are?

Edit to add: Man, hard to think that post was from back around when you were still friendly toward me and knew that I did in fact feel empathy.

Edited by 75 percent oof

14 minutes ago, 75 percent oof said:

Lol, yup, a 7 year old post about me not liking their customer service at that moment in time made me hate them for allllll time.

Not mad by the way, just don't like any company doing this sort of thing.

Sweet dreams baby boy. Isn't it 1:30am where you are?

Edit to add: Man, hard to think that post was from back around when you were still friendly toward me and knew that I did in fact feel empathy.

I only figured out it was you when I googled your username and "vinyl collective topshelf" just now. Either way I'm rated E for Everyone if I don't like something I see I speak up. I do it in real life too I am a Florida Man after all.

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I only figured out it was you when I googled your username and "vinyl collective topshelf" just now. Either way I'm rated E for Everyone if I don't like something I see I speak up. I do it in real life too I am a Florida Man after all.

Me too man, that's why when this looked sketchy to me I wanted to say something. Genuinely didn't belive it was going to turn into a whole thing.

Can't we all just have our own opinions without trying to be the most clever at shitting on another person? I'm not on anyone's side in this debate. There just seems to be a lot of wasted energy here. I guess it's just the internet... Be kinder, folks. I hope Topshelf can pull themselves outta this mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, HardlineKid said:

Is this is any way related to No Sleep Records, and does this mean I won't have to wait another two years for my hot mulligan records?

They were in the same situation but idk about the HM records specifically. I know HM now owns the masters to the music they released with no sleep so it's the last pressing No Sleep will release. I would send NSR an email if you didn't get yours because they aren't on the website for sale anymore.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone buy a mystery box from TSR? I got my 10 pack today. Not familiar with like half of these, which is cool. Biggest mystery is where's the twinkly shit!? 

Curious what other boxes are looking like! 

Sundials – Kick (10-inch)

Cool Original - outtakes from "bad summer"

My Fictions – Stranger Songs

Solids - Else

Gregory Uhlmann – Neighborhood Watch

Clearance - At Your Leisure 

Field Mouse - Hold Still Life

Wild Ones – Heatwave

Zenizen – P.O.C. (Proof of Concept)

Nai Harvest - Hairball

4 hours ago, porkdad said:

Did anyone buy a mystery box from TSR? I got my 10 pack today. Not familiar with like half of these, which is cool. Biggest mystery is where's the twinkly shit!? 

Curious what other boxes are looking like! 

Sundials – Kick (10-inch)

Cool Original - outtakes from "bad summer"

My Fictions – Stranger Songs

Solids - Else

Gregory Uhlmann – Neighborhood Watch

Clearance - At Your Leisure 

Field Mouse - Hold Still Life

Wild Ones – Heatwave

Zenizen – P.O.C. (Proof of Concept)

Nai Harvest - Hairball

Some that haven’t been paying attention to Topshelf, may be surprised to know they haven’t really released any thing “twinkly” in almost 10 years. Outside of a few things, here and there. All of that early stuff is OOP and probably won’t be repressed.

But that’s a solid haul of what Topshelf is, as a label, past and present. Some really great, undervalued releases.

I wasn’t being wholly serious, but also…????They have absolutely released twinkly music in the past decade. Emo revival is not face of their catalog anymore, but it’s far from absent…

Sweet Pill, Gulfer, AGPOL, Really From, Standards… those are all bands who just released stuff since 2020.

2 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Some that haven’t been paying attention to Topshelf, may be surprised to know they haven’t really released any thing “twinkly” in almost 10 years. Outside of a few things, here and there. All of that early stuff is OOP and probably won’t be repressed.

But that’s a solid haul of what Topshelf is, as a label, past and present. Some really great, undervalued releases.

I got a mystery box a few weeks ago. I was very happy as like half of it was bands I liked and I didn't have any of these records. I was actually missing the Prawn record as it's my least favorite and I was planning on grabbing a couple of these eventually.

You Blew It - You Blue It 10" (blue /1000) 2nd press

Sundials - Kick 10" (purple /350)

Prawn - Run (white w/ cream and black splatter /1200)

Field Mouse - Episodic (black /651)

Octaves  - Greener Pastures (dark mustard /250)

Weatherbox - Cosmic Drama (blue/yellow marble /300)

Wild Ones - Heatwave (green /1500)

gobbinjr- Ocala Wick (blue w/ purple splatter /200)

Cut Teeth - Night Years (electric blue /600)

My Fictions - Stranger Songs (dark green marble /?)