PO: Thrice - Illusion of Safety 20th Anniversary

zacooper

19 minutes ago, zacooper said:

Good lord. We’re at 8 exclusives now for a 20 year press of an album that was still relatively easy to find? I love this band but this might be the most “state of vinyl” thing I’ve seen and wasn’t expecting it from them. 

don't really think it was their decision, and they sold out 1500 copies in like a few hours when the og 2 colors went up.  Also the cheapest on discogs is 25 pounds for a black copy, the first colored one is for 40 pounds. So the repress is pretty much needed. on the other hand these many variants/exclusives are plain stupid

Edited by xfactor675

9 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

Indie excl. Blue

https://monstermusicsc.com/UPC/790692666614

Buy tomorrow as monster music's vinyl saturday for 20% off. 

It looks like it's the retail, as it popping at places like popmarket, etc..

Anyways this is 20 bucks today only (or every first saturday in the coming months)  if you just want to have it for cheap. 

Edited by xfactor675

On 9/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, zacooper said:

Good lord. We’re at 8 exclusives now for a 20 year press of an album that was still relatively easy to find? I love this band but this might be the most “state of vinyl” thing I’ve seen and wasn’t expecting it from them. 

I would certainly take 10,000 copies across 8 variants available through multiple stores over a few hundred copies across 1 or 2 variants that sell out in 30 seconds.  

15 hours ago, erousso said:

I would certainly take 10,000 copies across 8 variants available through multiple stores over a few hundred copies across 1 or 2 variants that sell out in 30 seconds.  

I feel you. If they press to many just wait a year and get it for like $10 on amazon. I'd rather be able to have the record I want than have to fight with other people and scalper to secure something out out 500 or 1000 total pressed.

2 hours ago, Letskissthesky10 said:

I feel you. If they press to many just wait a year and get it for like $10 on amazon. I'd rather be able to have the record I want than have to fight with other people and scalper to secure something out out 500 or 1000 total pressed.

I think you’re all missing my gripe. I have no problem with the amount pressed, it’s for us (ridiculous I know) variant collectors where every single distributor has their own variant these days, causing a repress with 9 variants to cost well over $300. I shouldn’t be surprised because Horizons had just as many I think. Just getting harder to be a variant collector. 

21 minutes ago, zacooper said:

I think you’re all missing my gripe. I have no problem with the amount pressed, it’s for us (ridiculous I know) variant collectors where every single distributor has their own variant these days, causing a repress with 9 variants to cost well over $300. I shouldn’t be surprised because Horizons had just as many I think. Just getting harder to be a variant collector. 

Totally. I'm not a variant collector but I do have a few albums on standard black that I bought a second time when a good-looking variant was released, like the Fat Wreck 25th anniversary pressings. I don't even think there needs to be 8 or 9 variants, just 1 or two sold through multiple distros. 

Do collectors generally want the rarest variant or the best-looking one? 

1 hour ago, erousso said:

Totally. I'm not a variant collector but I do have a few albums on standard black that I bought a second time when a good-looking variant was released, like the Fat Wreck 25th anniversary pressings. I don't even think there needs to be 8 or 9 variants, just 1 or two sold through multiple distros. 

Everyone is totally different. I generally go for nicest looking one unless it’s a band I variant collect. 

8 hours ago, erousso said:

I sorta variant collect, depending in the band. I’ll weight it by variant “coolness” + rarity - mockup likelihood. The exception being splatter on white; I’m out.

Different here though. The Hopeless variant just nails the color scheme, and haven’t gone wrong with color-in-color yet.

30 minutes ago, iDealélan said:

I sorta variant collect, depending in the band. I’ll weight it by variant “coolness” + rarity - mockup likelihood. The exception being splatter on white; I’m out.

Different here though. The Hopeless variant just nails the color scheme, and haven’t gone wrong with color-in-color yet.

Yeah I definitely love color-in-color. I guess if I had to rate typical variant types (cause why not) I’d go:

smash/swirl > color-in-color > transparent splatter > tri-color split > opaque splatter > dual-color split > transparent solid > opaque solid.

I most of the time go for the best looking variant, regardless of pressing. Like for instance, the new Soulblind, the most limited was a tri color pinwheel but I went for the next variant of color in color, it looks better with the cover art of the album.

But there have been a few LPs where I've gone for most limited on the off chance I might need to unload it, because life is weird sometimes.

Kinda similar for me. I will usually go with personal preference on variants (vein.fm, counterparts preorders are good examples - lots of variants available and I don’t need the most rare) that I think look good if it’s not an album I super care about. If there’s an album I really care about, I’ll try and get the rarest variant if feesible, but won’t break the bank or my bank doing so - trading up is always an option. 

I’d love to eventually replace my clear copy of Into The Moat’s The Design with one of the purple ones - they’re mot any more limited, but it’s a better looking variant than simply clear. 

I weigh both. I'll start with the most limited, and if it doesn't look very good, I'll go down to the second most limited and evaluate that one.

Price is also a factor. If it's a release I don't care about, or if it's pressed yearly or has 10,000 initial units, I'll just get the retail variant on Amazon and save on shipping.