PO now: Soft Kill - Canary Yellow

Mars

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, hallowken78 said:

Has the retail orange popped up on any retailer websites yet?

not 100% sure as there is no description, but it should be the orange started to show up over at indie stores with a 11.18 release date.

https://shop.indycdandvinyl.com/UPC/829707986734

https://downinthevalley.com/UPC/829707986734

etc...

• 2 weeks later...

As a small ask, if you receive your copy before the release date, do not rip the audio and put it on YouTube or we will do dramatic, unnecessary things.

So, since the release date has come and gone now (by several weeks) and these have still not apparently started shipping out, does that mean they won't have to do any dramatic, unnecessary things?

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, Mars said:

Yeah, I love their demo sound as well as the polished album sound, so far they've never disappointed! 

I already ordered a copy of this new LP but I’m still kind of new to the band. Having only heard Dead Kids and Canary Yellow, which polished-sounding record would you recommend checking out next?  

3 hours ago, prowl20 said:

I already ordered a copy of this new LP but I’m still kind of new to the band. Having only heard Dead Kids and Canary Yellow, which polished-sounding record would you recommend checking out next?  

Choke is what got me into the band, but I still think Savior is their best album. It was a good mix of their earlier jangly/punchy post-punk stuff now throwing in the odd keys and synth in here and there to bring it up some more.

Also with @hallowken78in that i couldn't get into Canary Yellow. It's fine, I've listened through it multiple times hoping I would eventually connect with it, but it just feels a bit backgroundy and watered down in comparison to their earlier stuff. Hoping this new record gets me back on track, but a year/two year gap between albums always has me worried that they haven't had enough time out to brew and stew ideas. I do like it when a band goes away for a while and you're like "when are these fuckers getting back together to make an album especially FOR ME"! That hype.

Edited by whoa

On 6/1/2023 at 1:27 AM, prowl20 said:

On 6/1/2023 at 4:28 AM, whoa said:

Choke is what got me into the band, but I still think Savior is their best album. It was a good mix of their earlier jangly/punchy post-punk stuff now throwing in the odd keys and synth in here and there to bring it up some more.

Also with @hallowken78in that i couldn't get into Canary Yellow. It's fine, I've listened through it multiple times hoping I would eventually connect with it, but it just feels a bit backgroundy and watered down in comparison to their earlier stuff. Hoping this new record gets me back on track, but a year/two year gap between albums always has me worried that they haven't had enough time out to brew and stew ideas. I do like it when a band goes away for a while and you're like "when are these fuckers getting back together to make an album especially FOR ME"! That hype.

Choke is a good place to start IMO, but my first exposure was Heresy - which is a completely different vibe and sound than Dead Kids and Canary Yellow. I understand the criticism of CY, definitely explores some lighter facets of their sound.  But what can I say - I grew up equally loving Boys Don't Cry and Faith, So, I dig the bi-polaresque mood and sonic differences between albums. 

3 hours ago, hallowken78 said:

Didn’t they say that it was a one-time press of 850 total?  Now that wording seems to have vanished and there’s a 2nd press up for PO.

From their Twitter:

“The response to this record has been really overwhelming, we are gonna go ahead with a second pressing of 500. Same as always mailing list will get first crack at it.”

From the mailing list email:

Despite my fears of the ideas and experiments incorporated into these songs alienating a bunch of yall the response to "Metta World Peace" has been beyond overwhelming. We sold the entire pressing before the album even went up for streaming and after receiving a bunch of messages begging for a copy we decided to do a unnumbered run of 500 on clear with a different color insert to meet demand and get a stack over to Europe.
It's available now via our bigcartel and because we're piggybacking off the first pressing these should be done and shipping at the same time as those.

Next up: "Premium Drifter" LP repress, "Live At Baker Building" bootleg LP and "Paranoid" maxi-12", all here within the next couple months.

6 hours ago, morfiend said:

If memory serves they said Premium Drifter was only getting pressed once as well…

Yeah, they snuck that announcement in there too.  Shiesty.  I don't care if you're gonna repress stuff, but don't advertise that you're never going to in order to create FOMO so folks on the fence jump in, only to immediately shift gears.  At least with Drifter they've waited a few years.  But I've had bad luck ordering with these guys so it's a sensitive subject - I always think the worst of them lol.