Upgrading from Pro-ject Debut III to Pro-ject Debut PRO

So the time has come that I'm finally due for an upgrade given I've had my Debut III for about 10 years now and am ready to sell it and get myself something a wee bit nicer and pricier... Given I've had close to zero issues with my current player I was looking at upgrading to the Pro-ject Debut Pro along with a new pre-amp... Below is my current setup and what I am looking at upgrading to...

Current Set-up / Upgrade:

* Pro-ject Debut III  (Upgrading to Project-Debut Pro)

* Pro-ject Audio Phono Box  (Upgrading to Project Tube Box S2)

* Sony STR-DH190 Receiver

* Polk Audio T-50 Speakers

My main question is really in regards to the new pre-amp I am wanting to purchase... Is that too much or too high quality for the setup I'll be working with, and if so, should I possibly settle on something a bit cheaper like the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2? Possibly any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Edited by lungfutang

why dont you upgrade the platter to acrylic, upgrade the cart to a 2mblue and get a platter puck? 

the tubes look cool as hell but will you notice a difference in sound between the current phono box, phono box s2 or the tube box?? probably not ... 

is there a reason you dont use the sony's phono input? 

those polks are nice.. have you considered adding an active woofer into the mix???

2 hours ago, A-Bon said:

why dont you upgrade the platter to acrylic, upgrade the cart to a 2mblue and get a platter puck? 

the tubes look cool as hell but will you notice a difference in sound between the current phono box, phono box s2 or the tube box?? probably not ... 

is there a reason you dont use the sony's phono input? 

those polks are nice.. have you considered adding an active woofer into the mix???

Hey hey! Thanks for the reply :)

I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I have already upgraded to the acrylic platter and switched the original stylus / cartridge out to an Ortofon Super OM20 which I've been using for the past ~5 years or so... I guess that's one of my reasons for wanting to upgrade since I've had the Debut III for so long and have pretty much gotten my fair share out of it... not to mention I just think the Debut Pro looks so damn sexy!

Solid remarks though in regards to the pre-amps... other than the huge difference in price and how cool and sleek most of them look, I'm sure the actual upgrade in sound is probably very minimal... Given how my current setup is though, I unfortunately can't use my Sony's preamp because of limited space and the placement of my record player, not to mention the extremely short hardwired audio cables / grounding wire...

Also appreciate the recommendation of adding an active woofer to my speakers... never gave that a thought before but will definitely look into it!

Appreciate it!

yeh my freind just copped the Pro and BOY its niiiiiice!!!! the cart on them is pretty mmuch a direct copy of the 2m blue ... but yeh its up to you .. i think an excellent investment would be a litle 8" or 10" active sub with the crossovers built into it ... (go amp > sub > speakers) some actives come with a foot switch to turn it on and off incase you like the sound of no sub for certain records.. but at the end of the day, you cannot go wrong with project ... 

whatever way you go, it will be a killer setup!

You may potentially hear a difference going from the Phono Box to the Tube Box, as tubes give a different sound. The bigger question is, will you like it? I demoed a tube preamp and a solid state, and I personally was not a fan of the sound tubes gave. The Debut Pro looks really nice, so enjoy it when you get it! 

On 9/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Billich0986 said:

You may potentially hear a difference going from the Phono Box to the Tube Box, as tubes give a different sound. The bigger question is, will you like it? I demoed a tube preamp and a solid state, and I personally was not a fan of the sound tubes gave. The Debut Pro looks really nice, so enjoy it when you get it! 

Hey hey!
Thanks for the reply :)
Never even thought of that actually, so appreciate you bringing it up!

Will have to see if I can test a pre-amp tube box out in the wild prior to ordering online...
Because I like my record player sounding nice and crisp,

And based off what I'm seeing review wise,
Tubes give off a much warmer sound which I'm not really looking for...

In the meantime though I think I'll be ordering the Pro and just using my current equipment until the time comes where I feel an upgrade is truly necessary.
Thanks!