PO NOW: Elder ‘Innate Passage’ | Stickman Records - Armageddon Shop | out November 25th

PREORDER ON 2LP/CD AT  https://www.stickman-records.com/shop/elder-innate-passage/

https://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/album/innate-passage

Innate Passage is the sixth Elder full-length. It finds the mostly-Berlin-based band in the post-pandemic era as veterans at the forefront of a league of progressive and heavy groups working in large part under their influence; a stately presence as reliably forward-thinking as they are unpredictable in sound. They are among the most important acts of their mostly-still-emerging generation. Genuine leaders in style and expressive intention. Innate Passage is further proof why. 

In Spring 2020, Elder released their fifth album, Omens, and with it established a claim on their most prog-leaning interpretation of sprawling heavy rock and roll. Two years later, Innate Passage builds on many similar concepts, but outdoes its predecessor on every level of performance, weight of its impact, interplay between founder Nick DiSalvo and Mike Risberg’s guitars and keys, the now-settled-in drumming of Georg Edert – who made his debut on Omens – and bassist Jack Donovan’s tonal warmth underscoring the shimmer of DiSalvo’s leads. 

Says DiSalvo: “This record channels the surreal world we live in from a fantastical point of view, not super-literally, and how we as humans processed that; everyone on their own passage through time and space and whatever version of reality they chose for themselves. The phrase ‘Innate Passage’ appeared to me when writing the record. Passage and transition are necessary in the human condition and this process is intrinsic to us. All the growth and introspection we underwent in the past few years totally made this apparent to me more so than any other experiences in life so far.” 

“Catastasis” begins Innate Passage with a pointedly bright perspective and the most complex vocal harmonies that Elder have ever produced. Alongside DiSalvo, Innate Passage features a guest singer for the first time in Behrang Alavi (Samavayo), who adds his voice to what’s already a career performance for DiSalvo as a singer; his voice is more confident, has more presence, and more reach than ever before. That is but one way in which Innate Passage steps boldly deeper into this new era for Elder. 

Whether it’s a shredding lead in the culmination of “Endless Return” or the willfully patient, almost meandering, build into the crescendo and fade of “Merged in Dreams/Ne Plus Ultra,” Elder are poised as never before as they execute this material. In centerpiece “Coalescence,” they offer Opeth-worthy rhythmic intricacy and piano drama offset by crunching heavy guitar and twisting leads, and in “The Purpose,” they craft a wash of melody that is engrossing without sacrificing any clarity of the individual instruments that make it. 

As the album ends with soft guitar in an answer to the intro of “Catastasis,” the sense of wholeness that comes through is one more aspect arguing for Elder as singularly crucial. Innate Passage is a culmination of everything they’ve done before, and that’s reason to celebrate, but more, it is that after more than 15 years, they’re still pushing forward to places where neither they nor anyone they’ve influenced have yet gone. – JJ Koczan, Sept. 2022.

Edited by fizio59

• fizio59 changed the title to PO NOW: Elder ‘Innate Passage’ | Stickman Records - Armageddon Shop | out November 25th

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I love and still revisit Reflections quite often, but Omens was a misstep for me.  Not terrible by any means but just a downgrade.  How’s this new one align to either of those?

I feel the same about their previous albums. I love Reflections, but Omens was a let down. I need to spend more time with Innate Passage. My initial reaction was more positive than Omens (maybe biased by low expectations?), but sonically the album is more similar to Omens than Reflections.

31 minutes ago, The Vool said:

I still don't see why people consider Omens a let down....it's a fucking strong record that took another turn in the band's history.

It's obviously different than the rest....no record could stand a chance after their Magnum Opus!

You kind of answered your own question here. It's definitely a different approach, and Reflections was super strong. Omens and even Innate Passage are, for lack of a better word, smoother, and definitely take more of a proggy approach than Reflections.

Like Derek, I'm not saying that Omens sucked, but I like that sound a LOT less than what they did on Reflections.

Reflections had way better grooves, riffs, twists, and turns with the songwriting.  Moments of it feel like it dips into the post-rock well for me and I think that’s why it clicks so nicely for my ears.

Omens feels a little more straightforward with nods to classic prog, which is not my preferred sound at all.  For folks who dig that sound, I can see why Omens would have huge appeal.  Just my 2¢ on where I’m coming from with my previous statement.

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I love and still revisit Reflections quite often, but Omens was a misstep for me.  Not terrible by any means but just a downgrade.  How’s this new one align to either of those?

It builds on what the band was trying to do with Omens but it’s just better. If you’re not wanting a prog heavy record you’ll likely be disappointed. You’ll still find some good grooves and riffs here but there’s a lot going on including elements of post rock and krautrock but the turns sound seamless in every track. The vocals which at times sounded a little off on Omens are also much improved. This might be my favorite record from them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, morfiend said:

It builds on what the band was trying to do with Omens but it’s just better. If you’re not wanting a prog heavy record you’ll likely be disappointed. You’ll still find some good grooves and riffs here but there’s a lot going on including elements of post rock and krautrock but the turns sound seamless in every track. The vocals which at times sounded a little off on Omens are also much improved. This might be my favorite record from them.

Omens took about 5+ listens to grow on me.  Reflections had been my favorite and I really liked the Gold and Silver sessions.  However I got to agree Innate Passage is my new favorite.  This album rips from start to finish.  The white European pressing sounds flawless.  Can't wait to see them on the west coast in May!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, Seanbo said:

Omens took about 5+ listens to grow on me.  Reflections had been my favorite and I really liked the Gold and Silver sessions.  However I got to agree Innate Passage is my new favorite.  This album rips from start to finish.  The white European pressing sounds flawless.  Can't wait to see them on the west coast in May!!!

Just bought tickets to the Seattle show in May, what show are you attending? Going to Mr Bungle the night before, gonna be a great weekend.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:27 PM, morfiend said:

Just bought tickets to the Seattle show in May, what show are you attending? Going to Mr Bungle the night before, gonna be a great weekend.

Nice!!!  May is a complicated for me with my baby girl due in the first part of the month.  If everything works out I'll see Elder in ether San Francisco for Fresno on the 15th and 16th ( or maybe both?!?). Earthless is playing in Santa Cruz on the 17th and I really want to see them too.  My wife is going to kill me🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Seanbo said:

Nice!!!  May is a complicated for me with my baby girl due in the first part of the month.  If everything works out I'll see Elder in ether San Francisco for Fresno on the 15th and 16th ( or maybe both?!?). Earthless is playing in Santa Cruz on the 17th and I really want to see them too.  My wife is going to kill me🤣🤣🤣

Oh wow congratulations! I have a 2 and a half year old and my wife has been cool about shows lately since “you couldn’t go to any during covid” Lol. Do your best to go to that Earthless show, I saw them a few months before quarantine in 2020 and it was amazing. 

On 2/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, morfiend said:

Oh wow congratulations! I have a 2 and a half year old and my wife has been cool about shows lately since “you couldn’t go to any during covid” Lol. Do your best to go to that Earthless show, I saw them a few months before quarantine in 2020 and it was amazing. 

I've seen Earthless twice and they are definitely the loudest live act I've ever seen.  Amazing live for sure.  I've never seen Elder perform and I'm really hoping to catch them on this tour.  The new album is the best yet.