[PO Now] Mogwai - Young Team & CODY Remastered | Hawk, Beast, Rock, Happy represses [9/22]

Ha, you're right of course. Vocals often ruin things for me as well. And I should also say, the beauty of instrumental music is that it's much more abstract, and therefor more open to interpretation, so it makes sense that two people who generally like similar things might respond very differently to different bands within the genre.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:03 AM, bjorn said:

Interesting discussion. I think one thing about the whole post-rock thing is that by removing vocals from the equation, the margin for error for everything else becomes smaller. For example, the first couple of Caspian albums did almost nothing for me, even though I can't pinpoint anything wrong with them. But Tertia is pretty high on my list of favorites regardless of genre, it just grabs me and keeps me in this beautiful, murky space. The compositions just work in a way they didn't before. It's the same thing with Red Sparowes, the first one didn't move the needle for me, but I love the second one. But most stuff in this genre seems to fall just short of compensating for the lack of vocals. It's not that I'm even all that interested in singing, but the way voices serve to punctuate and make music connect to the listener, especially with any form of rock music, is a really tricky thing to replace. The last such album that convinced me to buy a physical copy was Penumbra by Barrens, which is still pretty much under the radar, but well worth checking out.

Great response.  Very interesting thought about vocals... I'm not sure where I stand.  I see your point completely, but I also see Derek's point as well.  I suppose it's a case by case basis.  A good example for me is the band Amenra.  I can't stand the vocals, I don't think they fit the style.  Their music is heavy, and I want growls and not high pitched screams. 

Tertia is awesome, but man really?  Not even Quovis > Further Up > Further In from YATC?  Mindblowing!  I'm the opposite of you with Red Sparowes - it's alllllllll about At The Soundless Dawn.  The others are good and enjoyable for sure but man, that first album is perfect for me. 

Barrens is great, but for me a little run of the mill with the new synth-heavy post-rock crazy that PG.Lost seemed to have started with Versus and solidified with Oscillation.  It's great modern PG.Lost worship, but I just prefer more guitar-centric songwriting.  I do reach for this album on occasion and I'm glad i have it. 

Amenra vocals are perfect. Opinions on vocals are always all over the boards. 

I'm actually surprised I don't hear more opinions on the few vocals that Mogwai include on their records. Stuart doesn't have the best voice, but they make it work in really great and unique ways. I love his vocals, but I can see how some might not be into them as much.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, shamrocks said:

terrible packing and shipping job here, anyone else have theres with 4 corner crumples and seam splits? i really hate the way we have to pack t shirts in with records folded up in the center of the package oh well its aLl ABouT tHe MUsiC

That really sucks to hear.  I'm still waiting on my bundle to show up, but I know it includes shirts and there's no telling how it was all packaged.  The whole "it's all about the music" argument is fine when you're talking about a singular dog-ear corner or some seam splitting... but I think you're well within your rights to be disappointed – and reach out to customer service – if you're dropping decent money to import something and it shows up completely mauled.  All 4 corners in addition to seam splits is haggard.  I'd ask for pics out of curiosity but I don't think I wanna' see that.

Fortunately the band has said that they intend to keep these 2 variant replenished and available for as long as they can, so replacements should be pretty feasible if stock isn't limited or scarce.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, Sad Heart said:

Looks like ‘Hawk Is Howling’ is back in print as well. Seeing on multiple brick and mortar shops. 

oh sick, that's the next one we're doing.  You guys can thank my girlfriend for getting me more into this band's early stuff haha.

Just finally got to spin MYT for the first time.  It's good!  There's one song on side 3 I think it was.... it sounded like System of a Down stole it for Aerials, I think is the song. 

Mogwai Fear Satan was way cool too.  Glad i got these!

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Just finally got to spin MYT for the first time.  It's good!  There's one song on side 3 I think it was.... it sounded like System of a Down stole it for Aerials, I think is the song. 

I always thought this was hilarious. It's almost entirely ripped off not even just a certain riff lol

• 4 months later...

Happy Songs For Happy People / Hawk Is Howling / Mr. Beast / Rock Action repress incoming. 

Rough Trade has a bundle with a signed print limited to /100. https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/mogwai/signed-print-bundle-happy-songs-for-happy-people-hawk-is-howling-mr-beast-rock-action

Recorded with Andy Miller at Chemikal Underground and mixed by Gareth Jones at Castle Of Doom, ‘The Hawk Is Howling’ saw Mogwai return to a totally instrumental landscape on their sixth studio album. The album features the single ‘Batcat’.

To celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the release of the album will be made available as a newly remastered 2LP White Vinyl (limited to 4000) on 22nd September, fifteen years to the day since the album’s original release. The album was remastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road Studios.

In addition to this special release, limited coloured vinyl represses of ‘Rock Action’, ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’, and ‘Mr. Beast’ will also release on 22nd September.

‘Rock Action’ will be pressed on transparent red vinyl (limited to 5000), ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ on transparent green vinyl (limited to 5000) and ‘Mr. Beast’ on crystal clear vinyl (limited to 4000).

• Sad Heart changed the title to [PO Now] Mogwai - Young Team & CODY Remastered | Hawk, Beast, Rock, Happy represses [9/22]