Preferred Record Cleaning Method

mjp75

I searched for this before posting so apologies if already a thread on this...

I always see people posting things like "got my new record, some static but I haven't cleaned it yet" or something like that.  What tool/method do you use to clean records? I don't have anything and wondering if its worth looking in to/how much of a difference it makes.

23 minutes ago, mjp75 said:

I searched for this before posting so apologies if already a thread on this...

I always see people posting things like "got my new record, some static but I haven't cleaned it yet" or something like that.  What tool/method do you use to clean records? I don't have anything and wondering if its worth looking in to/how much of a difference it makes.

I'm by no means an expert but I really like my Spin-Clean. It's saved some records that were in really nasty shape. It's easy and simple. It's usually about $80 but you can find sales and discount codes.

I use a cheap Audio-Technica Anti-Static Record Cleaning Brush before spinning records and it helps more than enough with any static. It's about $15. 

I caved a while back and bought an RCM-III. He had it on sale during the pandemic.

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

It’s pretty good. I’ve actually been able to clear up a few skips from records that came that way from the factory. Sometimes skips are just microscopic grains of dust really stuck on there. Pops usually disappear after that. Worth noting that it’s only as good as your vacuum. Was using a very old shop vac. Results were meh. Bought a new one from this decade and completely changed for the better.

It’s a little DIY, but I like that about it. The owner used to have all the files up to 3D print yourself but haven’t seen them in a while. Nonetheless, would be easy to model yourself if you’re already thinking about that.

42 minutes ago, mjp75 said:

Awesome, I just googled the Spin-Clean and its apparently manufactured like 10 minutes from where I live... pretty wild..  this definitely looks like a good option

They also own Northern Audio/Music To My Ear on Babcock Blvd. I haven't been there in a while but they often had deals on the Spin-Clean. 

Edited to add that some sort of cleaning is absolutely necessary in my opinion. Even brand new records are often filthy. I use an Okki Nokki with excellent results. The Spin-Clean or similar quality knockoff is where I would start.

Edited by Smellman

I'll also vouch for the Spin Clean. Have ran hundred of records through it, and the results have been great so far. Like @N8TRU , I have also saved some second hand albums that really looked worse for the wear. 

I want to upgrade to an ultrasonic someday, but for now this is doing the job quite well.

Edited by mitchard

13 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

I just do a wet clean with a spray and a microfiber towelette 

Honestly not the worst way to do it.

Do you also do a rinse though? If not, do yourself a favor and get some distilled water to rinse and then wipe a second time with a different cloth.

2 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

like most people, a spin clean. however, I took a gamble and backed an "ultrasonic record cleaner" kickstarter, for $150US I'm not expecting much but it's not much to risk so why not. we'll see if they actually ship on time and if it works.

I considered this, but I couldn't pull the trigger after watching the video of the super warped record on their turntable and the graphic that shows the label fully submersed in the cleaning machine. 

How am I supposed to trust a company that can't even find a flat record to use as a demo? This looks like amateur hour.