PO Now: August Burns Red - Death Below

New album “Death Below” up for preorder.  Vinyl is a 2xLP with a seperate Mix and Master for vinyl so hoping it sounds good.

Variants:

3 at https://augustburnsredtourmerch.com

/250 Pomegranate (Sold Out). Alt Artwork

/500 Raspberry. Alt Artwork

/1,000 “Cataract” 2xLP Bone in Olive Green. Regular art.

/1,000 “Elberon” Clear w/ Blue Smoke https://sharptonerecords.co/collections/august-burns-red/products/august-burns-red-death-below-elberon-vinyl-lp-preorder

Tracklist:

1. Premonition
2. The Cleansing
3. Ancestry (feat. Jesse Leach)
4. Tightrope (feat. Jason Richardson)
5. Fools Gold in the Bear Trap
6. Backfire
7. Revival
8. Sevink
9. Dark Divide
10. Deadbolt
11. The Abyss (feat. JT Cavey)
12. Reckoning (feat. Spencer Chamberlain)

Edited by MCDELTAT

1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

Nothing like seeing a label charge $5 more because a variant is more limited AND putting up preorders without a single.

Lol right? I did pre-order because I don’t think I’ve ever been let down by one of their albums. At worst it’s an meh. Everyone is also complaining that the artwork looks AI generated. If it’s a real artist, sucks to be them.

Times sure have changed.  Boomer checking in, who used to hit up Best Buy & Circuit City on new release TUESDAY, to buy new CDs having not heard any of it yet.  Sometimes artists I was familiar with, other times, trying someone new who who had an attractive album cover.  Or maybe heard word on the streets of an artist or band.  In my old man ways, I do things the way I always have.  Buy blindly.  Sometimes it's hit, sometimes it's miss.  Most times it's somewhere in the middle.

I always avoid new songs like the plague before the full album is released.  Unless a band plays a new song live at a show before the album is out, be the only way I listened first.  Otherwise, release dates are like holidays.  So fun to have the entire album be completely brand new.  Not already knowing & being familiar with ~1/3rd of it.  It's weird hearing you guys be so demanding of a single before dedicating $ towards a project.  Not weird positive or negative really, just a plain observation of how times have changed.

Which could branch off into a whole other conversation of how the full LP is on the outs, bands & artists talking about only releasing singles from now on...  

1 hour ago, verb1999 said:

It's weird hearing you guys be so demanding of a single before dedicating $ towards a project.  Not weird positive or negative really, just a plain observation of how times have changed.

Here's a reason I like hearing a single first. Living in Canada, record/shipping prices have at least doubled since I started buying records. If I order a new LP from the US the average price (with shipping) in Canadian is now between $50 and $60. I can't afford to buy something that I might not like.  That being said, I ordered from Revolver because they have the cheapest international shipping that I've seen in a long time. Shipping was only $13 US where as most places now charge between $22 to $25 for a single LP and it generally goes up to $40 for two.

Edited by dethrock

7 hours ago, verb1999 said:

So fun to have the entire album be completely brand new.  Not already knowing & being familiar with ~1/3rd of it.  It's weird hearing you guys be so demanding of a single before dedicating $ towards a project.

Bands change their sound, and sometimes go in a completely new direction. Hearing the single has saved me more than once from blindly throwing money down the drain, especially considering the costs of LPs these days. Sometimes the single feels out of place but fits in perfectly with the album so I miss out on pre-ordering the rarest variant, but this has been far more the exception than the rule. 

Right on.  I absolutely understand the idea of wanting to preview what you're investing hard earned money in.  If it were just about anything OTHER than music, I'm right there with you guys.  I'm just an old timer observing an evolving world.  And as stated above, enjoy the full record being brand new on the release date, and having that entire listening experience being brand new, shiny, out of the box.   

Anyways, I too, got that Revolver copy of Death Below.  Looking forward to this album.  ABR has yet to disappoint.  With Christmas season just weeks away, I wonder if they'll release a new holiday song?  Has anybody ever attended their Christmas shows in PA?  I just planned a trip to attend my first.  I would like to think they went heavier on the holiday songs during these live performances, at least doing a few each night, but don't they typically keep it to one per set?  

• 4 months later...

Anyone else get their copy of this? Thinking of returning it but wanted to confirm with others.

The sound quality on mine is pretty bad. Lots of sibilance on some of the cymbals that I can’t spot on digital. Worse though, lots of very aggressive “ducking” to stay under the clipping threshold. During all their heavy breakdowns it all kinda takes a dive in volume and certain frequencies. It happens quite often. Just me?

15 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Anyone else get their copy of this? Thinking of returning it but wanted to confirm with others.

The sound quality on mine is pretty bad. Lots of sibilance on some of the cymbals that I can’t spot on digital. Worse though, lots of very aggressive “ducking” to stay under the clipping threshold. During all their heavy breakdowns it all kinda takes a dive in volume and certain frequencies. It happens quite often. Just me?

Not just you. I've seen people say theirs doesn't sound too good while others are saying it's great. Seems pretty hit or miss.

14 hours ago, phillybhatesme said:

Catarac variant? Mine was terrible. I contacted them and they’re sending me a Sand Art variant instead. 

Yeah. Cataract. I'm going to message them. ABR vinyl usually sounds really good actually, so definitely a surprise to have one of my worst records be from them. I'll see if I can record some of it in case they ask for it back.