Photo Of Your Collection (All Of 'Em)

Just now, Shelby said:

Help plz I need a sub or something to boost my low end what's cheap and good?

What’s your price range? My immediate suggestion is an SVS SB-1000. So much bang for your buck, and I’m sure you can catch a good deal coming up this week. If you have a large space / bigger budget / etc. let me know. But given your comment I really think that would be the best bang for your buck and round out your set up. Plus there’s an app where you can set it up and tweak; super user friendly. 

One piece of advice I can give for your set up is also speaker placement. I know it’s easier said than done as your room might not allow it, but if you can get your (badass) Def Techs on stands that would help a lot. It’ll bring them to ear height, and you can get them away from the wall a little (if the room allows). Your soundstage will improve dramatically. If not, maybe try experimenting by putting them on the outside cubes of the third row and see what that sounds like. Toe them in a little (stands or not) so they’re just angled slightly to the outside of each respective ear at your listening position. Def Techs are already killer (I loved my SM55s — recently gave them to a buddy as his intro to hifi) and I remember how much they opened up one I got their positioning right. But I do agree that they could use a sub to help round them out. But yah, just play around and see what happens. Took me 15 years to get a room where I could even place speakers the right way, so I totally get if it isn’t in the cards, but I bet there’s a few minor tweaks that you could do that’ll help. :)

3 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

What’s your price range? My immediate suggestion is an SVS SB-1000. So much bang for your buck, and I’m sure you can catch a good deal coming up this week. If you have a large space / bigger budget / etc. let me know. But given your comment I really think that would be the best bang for your buck and round out your set up. Plus there’s an app where you can set it up and tweak; super user friendly. 

One piece of advice I can give for your set up is also speaker placement. I know it’s easier said than done as your room might not allow it, but if you can get your (badass) Def Techs on stands that would help a lot. It’ll bring them to ear height, and you can get them away from the wall a little (if the room allows). Your soundstage will improve dramatically. If not, maybe try experimenting by putting them on the outside cubes of the third row and see what that sounds like. Toe them in a little (stands or not) so they’re just angled slightly to the outside of each respective ear at your listening position. Def Techs are already killer (I loved my SM55s — recently gave them to a buddy as his intro to hifi) and I remember how much they opened up one I got their positioning right. But I do agree that they could use a sub to help round them out. But yah, just play around and see what happens. Took me 15 years to get a room where I could even place speakers the right way, so I totally get if it isn’t in the cards, but I bet there’s a few minor tweaks that you could do that’ll help. :)

Thanks! I checked out the prices and it's not terrrrrible but I'd have to make it an after the holidays purchase. I'd prefer to find someone basically giving one (probably of lesser quality but I've been lucky before) away on Craigslist or a swap meet though haha I'm sure I'll find one there if I actually try. Def looking for deals for the one you listed come this weekend though.

As for the speaker situation it's hard to see but I've got 30° risers under them so they're basically face on to my other out of view couch. I had them on the sides of the middle row in the past and it just doesn't sound as good as being freed up top. (I also don't usually have those box sets up there but I'm flattening a record with them lol)

Edited by Shelby

ive moved my office back downstairs, and with it, the records and prints I had hanging in the other room.  still trying to get everything sorted out, still using a couple law books to help 'bookend' the records on the shelf until it fills up.  record player/stand is still not set up down here, debating on next to my desk or on top of the records.. leaning more to the first option at the moment

AL9nZEVmUmwoD8zuum34XMQNEwkqFwd20jZaninu

5 hours ago, Adam10647 said:

148e1cc79fc88d5b35e638876ca179ddaf8b6b6c

I'll play. Here's my junk  not as nice as some of these other set ups but check out that other dudes post about livin in So Cal. Please ignore the mess.

I’ll echo my speaker placement post. See above. Will help a lot! 
https://uturnaudio.com/pages/speaker-placement — here’s a helpful link. 

10 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

ive moved my office back downstairs, and with it, the records and prints I had hanging in the other room.  still trying to get everything sorted out, still using a couple law books to help 'bookend' the records on the shelf until it fills up.  record player/stand is still not set up down here, debating on next to my desk or on top of the records.. leaning more to the first option at the moment

AL9nZEVmUmwoD8zuum34XMQNEwkqFwd20jZaninu

Also, I literally hate the pee color walls.  Another thing on my list I'll never get to

Kallax is a all releases by Japanese artists, white drawers are cassettes and flip bin is “to listen to”spacer.png

Main collection

spacer.png

7”s and odd sizes

spacer.png

Artists that I have 15 records or more of

spacer.png

Edited by mouthofinfinity

4 minutes ago, blueeyesgetboring said:

just impressed with how organized everyone’s collection is….

I'd assume most of the vinyl community has some sort of obsessive mental disorder so not that out of the ordinary we're mostly like this.

54-A03-D90-CD40-4425-864-A-6-E091-B3-AAF

29384-C84-1475-44-A8-8770-310-A24507613.

Everything in the family room. Wife didn’t want a tv in the living room, but I convinced her to let me have my set up and records in there. Records on one wall, set to on perpendicular wall. Obviously she’s into Xmas. Haha. Slowed down on records the last 2 years since how damn expensive they are, so I’ve been really loving my network player + Roon. End up listening to way more music now which I love. Even taught the wife how to use it so she uses my set up which I’m all for. (Excuse the mess. We got married a week ago so there were way too many people in my house. Haha.)

19 hours ago, mouthofinfinity said:

Kallax is a all releases by Japanese artists, white drawers are cassettes and flip bin is “to listen to”spacer.png

Main collection

spacer.png

7”s and odd sizes

spacer.png

Artists that I have 15 records or more of

spacer.png

Awesome collection. Love all the paint colors too. For your set up, see a few posts back about my suggestions for speaker placement. Make that killer collection sound even better. :)

On 11/23/2022 at 4:06 AM, IndigoHollow said:

I want to buy IKEA Liatorp (with doors because I have a child) for vinyl but have doubts about whether standard size vinyl will fit inside or not. If anyone have experience with Liatorp please share!

The depth is 13 inches (w/o doors) so presumably no issues there. You can see that some of the shelves are adjustable. The product page states that two of the shelves are fixed for stability (the two middles shelves per the instructions) so it's just a question of how many separate shelves you can make with proper separation for height. Probably safe to say you could four rows for sure.

Edited by chiefwahoo

So... weird time to have this thread show up, but what the hell.
TLDR is that due to some life changes, I recently had to downsize my belongings and my space considerably. 
Used to have twice the record storage space, but what can you do. 💩

Here is what I was able to keep, one chonky Kallax that is full to the point of being mildly unusable.
The two boxes I pulled out are all items that are either duplicates (aka wont get spun much) or are for-sale items. 
Speakers are across the room, so not pictured.

(P.S. yall have some awesome setups, cool to see!)

0SP6ZWt.jpg

Edited by V3XED