Whatnot Auctions - Hot or Not?

Sup. Haven't seen many folks mentioning Whatnot record auctions around here yet, but wanted to see how this community feels about it. Has anyone had any experience buying or selling or observing yet?

It seems like it's definitely becoming "a thing" but cannot tell if it's gonna be the future or just a passing niche marketplace. The aggressive advertising online kinda feels reminiscent to the #VNYL days lmfao.

I've only logged on a few times and poked around. I only saw sealed mainstream records and boomer records being sold. I see some "influencer" type of record collectors from instagram and youtube promoting their auctions. I personally cannot see myself every being like, "oh shit, i gotta make sure i'm free  at 7 PM PST to watch an auction."

I also truly cannot tell if you can get good deals... or get what you wanted to make as a seller for that matter.

Anyway, super curious to hear your takes! 

I haven't posted here in forever because the ads make the site unusable and they did that whole adblocker thing, BUT I just happened to discover Whatnot tonight and then saw your questions so I'm going to respond because I'm really interested in the site.

It seems like the potential is there for a really good site, it feels like eBay in the old days to me. They are focusing way more on things like sneakers and sports cards than vinyl, it truly is niche on what is already a niche site, but from what I can tell they are committed and have some of approval process in place for sellers so it's not like any old person can go sell there.

I was thinking of applying to do an auction of some rare stuff I've got sitting in a box that isn't really eBay type material: test pressings, demos, signed stuff. For now, I'm going to sit back and wait while I look at the types of auctions I see. I agree they've been unimpressive so far with the vinyl sellers, but I did come across one tonight that had some cool autographed records and OG pressings of things.

At this point, I could totally see it bombing but I could also see it taking off; I'd even say it's a 50/50 chance at either.

(Ok, blockers back on. It's very unlikely I'll post again here, just read the replies following mine...)

I sold some records on WhatNot over the summer. It's really fun, but nearly everything I sold was less than what I had it listed for on Discogs/what the median price was on Discogs. It's very hit or miss though. It's all about how many people are in the room and what the seller starts the record at. If there's a lot of people bidding, prices can go way up. If there's no one bidding, then it can be hard to move a record. Some sellers also just expect ridiculous prices for their records.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of crate digging in some aspects. You gotta find the right room, with not too many people, with the right seller, who is starting records at a good price, and has something you want. Otherwise, you can spend a lot of time watching and not getting anything.

It's a cool app though. I enjoy it quite a bit and I've snagged some good deals.

My local record store uses Whatnot and they seem to be able to attract a decent amount of people to their auctions, so as a form of audience extension to reach people outside of your local area it's great. As a seller it looks like you have to be willing to hustle and it helps if you already have a social audience. 

As a buyer, I can't see the hit/ miss ratio working out for me. I'd rather stick w Discogs and actual crate-digging. But I'm also old-ish and if it works for the next generation of collectors then I'm all for it.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, unknown pleasures said:

I haven't posted here in forever because the ads make the site unusable and they did that whole adblocker thing,

(Ok, blockers back on. It's very unlikely I'll post again here, just read the replies following mine...)

I forget that this site has ads. I absolutely abhor websites with ads, lol. Not sure exactly but maybe it's the Brave browser that I use or in combination with a VPN. Also works awesome with YouTube. Absolutely no interruptions! 👍 

Anyone else see ads here? If so, what browser do you use and do you use a VPN? (Sorry off topic) 

Anyways, I do kinda like Whatnot. But I can see how it feels #VNYL'y with all the push I've seen. I actually follow Mike from the In Groove records and watch what he sells on it occasionally. Don't know much about the app but prolly won't install it. I watch from a browser. 

I use a VPN on my desktop, with ad blockers, and still get too many ads on VC to justify using it.  Not downloading a separate browser just for VC, and not switching all my browsing over to Brave.  So I just do without VC on desktop.

Mobile VC is fine for me though, for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, faaip de oiad said:

I forget that this site has ads. I absolutely abhor websites with ads, lol. Not sure exactly but maybe it's the Brave browser that I use or in combination with a VPN. Also works awesome with YouTube. Absolutely no interruptions! 👍 

Anyone else see ads here? If so, what browser do you use and do you use a VPN? (Sorry off topic) 

Desktop: Chrome with uBlock Origin extension installed so I don't get ads.

Mobile (Android): Chrome -> Settings -> Site Settings -> Ads "Blocked on some sites"; Chrome -> Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Use secure DNS -> Choose another provider -> Provider URL -> https://dns.adguard.com/dns-query

With those two settings changes on mobile, I no longer get ads. 

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I use a VPN on my desktop, with ad blockers, and still get too many ads on VC to justify using it.  Not downloading a separate browser just for VC, and not switching all my browsing over to Brave.  So I just do without VC on desktop.

Mobile VC is fine for me though, for whatever reason.

Yeah I switched everything over to Brave a couple of years ago and never looked back. Phones and laptops and desktops. Fuck ads lol. Used to use Firefox with all the extensions but I no longer need so many. Just the dark reader for sites like this one

Might be coz of Brave on PC that I don't see any ads here in VC? Dunno, but outta sight, outta mind. Don't care

It's prolly why I'm on here so much, lol