Record Cleaning Brush

I don't doubt that this has been discussed many times, but please bear with me just one more time. I bought many records through the '50s, '60s, and '70s, etc. etc. I was young and couldn't really have cared less about cleaning records. Most of the time they were just all over the floor anyway. Then I went digital, and parted company with my vinyl collection of hundreds of albums. What a dummy! 

Anyway I'm an old man now, and I've just begun collecting vinyl records again with a much greater reverance for their protection. I guess I need an anti-static brush, and maybe a stylus brush. Any suggestions and comments from you, to help in my search for these brushes would be most appreciated. I want something that works, and has a sensible price attached to it. Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you................Old Man.......PS...Just bought Fleetwood Macs "Rumours" album, 180 gram, 45 rpm. Sounds so sweet! 

Any anti static carbon fiber brush will do before playing. But I use that MOFI as mentioned above as well. Also, invest in a good record cleaner. Even new records can benefit 👍 

As for sleeve protection, I use the vinyl storage solutions after I clean my records, new and used. Really neat invention by a guy up in Canada. They have dual sleeves which I just can't stop talking about, lol

I use a DAK anti static brush, as it has both a felt pad and bristles, so best of both worlds from my perspective.

Along with the record cleaning machine that was already suggested, consider looking into a Onzow Zero Dust to clean your stylus, and if you have money to burn, the Milty Zerostat to help eliminate static electricity before you play a record. 

On 12/8/2022 at 10:28 PM, faaip de oiad said:

As for sleeve protection, I use the vinyl storage solutions after I clean my records, new and used. Really neat invention by a guy up in Canada. They have dual sleeves which I just can't stop talking about, lol

Please talk some more - what's special about 'em?  And do you have a link?

On 12/9/2022 at 9:23 AM, Billich0986 said:

I use a DAK anti static brush, as it has both a felt pad and bristles, so best of both worlds from my perspective.

Along with the record cleaning machine that was already suggested, consider looking into a Onzow Zero Dust to clean your stylus, and if you have money to burn, the Milty Zerostat to help eliminate static electricity before you play a record. 

you can save a shitload of money by going with this arc lighter instead.  Got it off a recommendation from the Steve Hoffman forums.  It takes the static out too, and it's like $10.  I just kind of hold it an inch or 2 above the record and go in a circle or star pattern.  You can feel the static charge dissipate from it pulling on your arm hairs.  Seems to do the trick, and is rechargeable. 

https://www.amazon.com/RONXS-Lighter-Rechargeable-Electric-Candle/dp/B07FFWCWNG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=17BQCH7JEU40Z&keywords=ronks+electric+lighter&qid=1670857115&sprefix=ronks+%2Caps%2C464&sr=8-5

On 12/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, faaip de oiad said:

Any anti static carbon fiber brush will do before playing. But I use that MOFI as mentioned above as well. Also, invest in a good record cleaner. Even new records can benefit 👍 

3 hours ago, hallowken78 said:

Please talk some more - what's special about 'em?  And do you have a link?

Insanely huge cosign on VSS; my entire collection is in them. The outer sleeves are dual-pocket. The jacket goes in one side and is held shut with a flap. There is a separate pocket for the record so when you go to play the record, you don't even have to deal with the jacket, keeping it in pristine condition. Dude sells em with and without tape. True Gs get em without tape lol. 

Here's the website - https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/

What we're talking about can be found here - https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-dual-pocket

And while you're on the site, pick up a slew of inners cause you sure as shit don't wanna put that nice vinyl in paper - https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-inner-sleeves

For a brush, I just got a cheap POS from amazon, which I use before spinning each record. It also came with a stylus brush which I use when I can visibly see hair on the stylus lol. I feel like there was a thread not too long ago about cleaning records, which is certainly a topic of interest to me. Even some new records I get are fuckin filthy and look like they can use some cleaning. 

12 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

Insanely huge cosign on VSS; my entire collection is in them. The outer sleeves are dual-pocket. The jacket goes in one side and is held shut with a flap. There is a separate pocket for the record so when you go to play the record, you don't even have to deal with the jacket, keeping it in pristine condition. Dude sells em with and without tape. True Gs get em without tape lol. 

What we're talking about can be found here - https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-dual-pocket

And while you're on the site, pick up a slew of inners cause you sure as shit don't wanna put that nice vinyl in paper - https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/collections/12-inch-inner-sleeves

For a brush, I just got a cheap POS from amazon, which I use before spinning each record. It also came with a stylus brush which I use when I can visibly see hair on the stylus lol. I feel like there was a thread not too long ago about cleaning records, which is certainly a topic of interest to me. Even some new records I get are fuckin filthy and look like they can use some cleaning. 

do you do the dual flap?  I'm very interested in this because i hate sliding the gatefolds in and out and doing all that nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

do you do the dual flap?  I'm very interested in this because i hate sliding the gatefolds in and out and doing all that nonsense. 

Got some of the dual flap and some of the single flaps actually. For my more rare and expensive vinyl, I'll toss em in the dual flaps. Dude also has specific jackets for gatefolds, but I grabbed 10 and didn’t like em as much as the dual-pocket sleeves. The gatefold sleeves he makes aren't dual pocket, so you still end up doing the gatefold nonsense lol. 

At this point, I believe he sells 3 different sizes of the dual-pocket sleeves; it might be beneficial to get some 12.75 or 13" sleeves for the gatefolds. 

58 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

I bought some after the recommendation.  Cool thing is he does singles so you can try them out.

They just shipped, so I’ll have them in a few days.

1 hour ago, ethanpricington said:

I'm both proud and a little disappointed in the fact that each of the early comments/answers on this post are completely helpful and respectful. In my 8+ years on this forum, that may be a first given the nature of the OG post...

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

I figured I’d set the tone with a helpful one.  My dad is getting back into vinyl a bit and thought of how I’d want someone to respond to him.

19 minutes ago, highfives said:

I figured I’d set the tone with a helpful one.  My dad is getting back into vinyl a bit and thought of how I’d want someone to respond to him.

No complaints here! My mom is the same way. Every now and then she tries to say something like "Dont you know my generation was at the peak of vinyl?" And I typically say something like "yea but haven't you realized my generation is the one whose perfected it" 😏

As far as “even new” records benefiting, I would strongly encourage cleaning new records because god damn these plants are dirty and paper residue seems to be worse these days too. I got 8 records in last week and two had some of the worst paper residue I’ve seen in 10+ years — both recent presses. I open and clean all my records upon receiving them, and put them into new sleeves and bags. I am interested in getting a more thorough machine to clean them though, cause I’m just using a cleaning kit with a cloth and spray, and brush before spinning. Looking at the Big Fudge manual cleaner since it’s on sale for under $50 right now. Watched a few videos of that vs ultrasonic vs $4k machine and doesn’t seem to be much difference. I’ve cleaned my records in the ultrasonic machines before and they work pretty well, but it’s a production to clean them plus takes 15 minutes per run (5-10 records at a time). Decisions decisions.  

4 hours ago, phillybhatesme said:

Excellent sell!  👏 👌 lol

These just make so much sense imho. Personally I but the tape version. I just don't need to open the sleeve anymore. 

4 hours ago, phillybhatesme said:

Dude also has specific jackets for gatefolds, but I grabbed 10 and didn’t like em as much as the dual-pocket sleeves. The gatefold sleeves he makes aren't dual pocket, so you still end up doing the gatefold nonsense lol. 

As for the gatefold sleeves, at first I didn't like them and just put the whole pack to the side and continued using the "double" dual pocket sleeve hack for my gatefolds. Then I realized that I was using 2 sleeves per gatefold. So I decided to try them again. But this time I decided to slip the record on the inside of the of the flap. (I bought the flap version of the gatefold sleeve) 

Explained: 

After the gatefold is inserted into the sleeve, I fold the flap in. Then once the flap is folded into the sleeve, I slide the record into the sleeve leaving the fold intact. That way I still have easy access to the record while still protecting the gatefold and the record. 

23 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

As far as “even new” records benefiting, I would strongly encourage cleaning new records because god damn these plants are dirty and paper residue seems to be worse these days too. I got 8 records in last week and two had some of the worst paper residue I’ve seen in 10+ years — both recent presses. I open and clean all my records upon receiving them, and put them into new sleeves and bags. I am interested in getting a more thorough machine to clean them though, cause I’m just using a cleaning kit with a cloth and spray, and brush before spinning. Looking at the Big Fudge manual cleaner since it’s on sale for under $50 right now. Watched a few videos of that vs ultrasonic vs $4k machine and doesn’t seem to be much difference. I’ve cleaned my records in the ultrasonic machines before and they work pretty well, but it’s a production to clean them plus takes 15 minutes per run (5-10 records at a time). Decisions decisions.  

This one has been getting rave reviews and I know a dude who has one and loves it.  only $480.  https://www.turntablelab.com/products/humminguru-ultrasonic-vinyl-record-cleaner?variant=40031281217626&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-04-04&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImdC4t5f3-wIViv7jBx2M7QT0EAQYAyABEgI9KPD_BwE

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

$380 direct. Might look into it, even if it would take 12 straight days to clean my collection one record at a time. Haha. 

23 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Personally, I use the RecordDr V. I had been using the spin clean, which is the equivalent to the big fudge manual cleaner, for years until i wanted to up my cleaning game. I still use the spin clean when I purchase used records or Thrift Store finds or just plain filthy, then I put it through the record Dr. 

17 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This one has been getting rave reviews and I know a dude who has one and loves it.  only $480.  

I've also been looking into this one as well. Seems like a worthy entry into the ultrasonic realm. 

But back to the OP, mechanical cleaning is recommended if your just getting started in the cleaning game. 

Hope that helps 

I've been debating on getting a record cleaning machine for a few years now. I'd really like to have one, but unsure of what route to take. That Humminguru is intriguing. I'm worried about the center labels getting wet with those upright machines though (along with the Spin Clean). I'd like to get a vaccuum cleaner like the Okki Nokki or one of the Pro-Ject VC series, but they seem big and boxy. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has experience with these or other cleaning methods.

I really appreciate threads like these! 

1 hour ago, wiscodeman said:

I'm worried about the center labels getting wet with those upright machines though (along with the Spin Clean).

For what it's worth, I've never had issues with the Spin Clean damaging center labels. Generally, the water stays on the vinyl itself, and more often than not runs on the main grooves exclusively when draining off before drying. 

Edited by mitchard

I just picked up the Boundless carbon fiber brush from Amazon. I've been using their stylus brush for a few months and have been pleased with it.

And if anyone is on the fence on a vacuum record cleaner, there are a few on sale on Amazon (may also be on other sites).

Record Doctor VI is $249 (down from $299)

Pro-Ject VC-E is $399 (down from $499)

Pro-Ject VC-S2 is $499 (down from $749)

I'm pretty sure the Pro-Ject sale is going on through the end of the month. I might pick up the VC-E if I have any extra cash/get any gift cards after Christmas.

Edited by marc32137

2 hours ago, mitchard said:

For what it's worth, I've never had issues with the Spin Clean damaging center labels. Generally, the water stays on the vinyl itself, and more often than not runs on the main grooves exclusively when draining off before drying. 

That's good to know. I was thinking there was a chance the water tension / friction could potentially keep it within the grooves as it drains. Thanks!

1 hour ago, marc32137 said:

And if anyone is on the fence on a vacuum record cleaner, there are a few on sale on Amazon (may also be on other sites).

Record Doctor VI is $249 (down from $299)

Pro-Ject VC-E is $399 (down from $399)

Pro-Ject VC-S2 is $499 (down from $749)

I'm pretty sure the Pro-Ject sale is going on through the end of the month. I might pick up the VC-E if I have any extra cash/get any gift cards after Christmas.

I noticed that when looking at the Pro-Ject VC-E on Amazon too. The seller is listed as Turntable Lab. It looks like the same sale is happening directly on TTL's website until 12/31/22. Might make the jump for that.