Existing Amp/Speaker Setup Question

Hello to all, just got some records for christmas (tom petty wildflowers anniversary, fleetwood mac rumors, and pink floyd dark side of the moon).  im in the us and my mom said the fleetwood and pink floyd records are coming from the uk so they haven't arrived yet, not sure why she bought them from the uk though.

anyways, i have no turntable and have read the beginners thread which is very very very helpful i must say.  My question is that I already have a 5.1 surround setup in my family room with an amp which has a phono connection.  Marantz nr1609 and I also have Klipsch Theater Pack surround speakers.  here's the links  

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/nr1609

https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-theater-5-1-surround-sound-system

so i guess the problem is that i have a free floating entertainment center which houses my amp and center speaker.  there is no room on top of the entertainment center to put a turntable as there are shelves and a tv on it.  i have a crawlspace under this room and thats how i ran my speaker wires for the rear surround speakers. 

i am assuming the only way to use a turntable with this setup is to run a really long connection from the turntable to the amp using my crawlspace.  turntable is gonna have to be in the rear of the room.  probably would need at least a 30-35ft connection as the room is a 22ft span.  

my other option is to buy everything and set it up in my lil studio room where i play guitar and record some things.  i just feel like i have great equipment in the family room that should be utilized if possible. plus we can utilize it when we have company over.  

1 hour ago, TimeToMoveOn said:

I guess the short question should of been…am I able to run a 30-40ft cable from my turntable to my amp?

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=109520

This thread will probably be helpful. People were recommending against using long RCA cables, even at 15 feet, unless you added a standalone phono preamp (located at the turntable) to avoid the distance from the turntable to the preamp. You would end up having to use a non-phono input on the amp, not sure if that would be an issue for you, depending on what else is connected to the current system. 

50ft RCA cables are pretty inexpensive, might be worth trying it without a dedicated preamp and see how it sounds for you. Worst case scenario, you'd have the cable ready to go if you do decided to add a preamp.

7 hours ago, mitchard said:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=109520

This thread will probably be helpful. People were recommending against using long RCA cables, even at 15 feet, unless you added a standalone phono preamp (located at the turntable) to avoid the distance from the turntable to the preamp. You would end up having to use a non-phono input on the amp, not sure if that would be an issue for you, depending on what else is connected to the current system. 

50ft RCA cables are pretty inexpensive, might be worth trying it without a dedicated preamp and see how it sounds for you. Worst case scenario, you'd have the cable ready to go if you do decided to add a preamp.

Thank you very much.  After reading that thread, I think I might just buy everything and set it up in my lil studio room.  Doesn’t seem too complicated to buy only a phono preamp and then some long auxiliary cables to run to my current amp, but It’s still a 30’ run going into my crawlspace and up to the amp, and I’m just not sure I wanna do that.  We shall see.

13 hours ago, TimeToMoveOn said:

Thank you very much.  After reading that thread, I think I might just buy everything and set it up in my lil studio room.  Doesn’t seem too complicated to buy only a phono preamp and then some long auxiliary cables to run to my current amp, but It’s still a 30’ run going into my crawlspace and up to the amp, and I’m just not sure I wanna do that.  We shall see.

Another option would be to just get the standalone phono preamp, and some powered speakers. This would eliminate the need for a dedicated amp/receiver, and would make it easier for you to move the setup to another space if you wanted to when company was over or whatnot. 

8 hours ago, mitchard said:

Another option would be to just get the standalone phono preamp, and some powered speakers. This would eliminate the need for a dedicated amp/receiver, and would make it easier for you to move the setup to another space if you wanted to when company was over or whatnot. 

thanks for the feedback.  at this point i am going to work on getting a turntable and use it in that room with a preamp and a long run from the preamp to the receiver.  i am going to look into some vintage amps(marantz 2230b😍) and other vintage speakers for the basement.  basement will be rennovated in the near future so it gives me time to get educated on some vintage gear and what to look out for.