Marantz 2230

On 1/1/2023 at 5:32 PM, TimeToMoveOn said:

Is it crazy if I payed $600 for a Marantz 2230 that hasn’t been serviced at all?  I know somebody who is selling his dads but based off others online that have been serviced I think $600 is high.

thoughts?

Un-serviced (and technically untested, really)... way too high. I personally wouldn't go any higher than $400-$450, but even then, it's potentially a gamble. Service isn't cheap depending on what might need to be replaced now, or in the near future. 

If you can get them down to $400, I'd say jump on it if you can afford to wing it. Might end up getting a solid receiver at a steal. 

If it has an original wood case in decent shape, $600 would be more than fair. The cases alone can go for $200-$400 depending on the condition.

Edited by mitchard

5 hours ago, mitchard said:

Un-serviced (and technically untested, really)... way too high. I personally wouldn't go any higher than $400-$450, but even then, it's potentially a gamble. Service isn't cheap depending on what might need to be replaced now, or in the near future. 

If you can get them down to $400, I'd say jump on it if you can afford to wing it. Might end up getting a solid receiver at a steal. 

If it has an original wood case in decent shape, $600 would be more than fair. The cases alone can go for $200-$400 depending on the condition.

thats what i was thinking too, thanks for reassuring me.

If it's a friend, you may also be able to have a shop look at it. My shop charges a $50 bench fee to check out gear before doing any work. That may put you on the $600 end with your friend though, if it looks good. 

I bought my 2235b ten years ago for $250. If I knew it was going to be as reliable and consistent as it is today, I would absolutely pay $600.