3 hours ago, JohnMatrix said:

Damn that magenta already sold out. That looks so nice

Lilliput records has it for ~33 bucks

https://lilliputrecords.com/UPC/810098503099

Also ~35 shipped

https://www.deepdiscount.com/3-feet-high-and-rising-magenta/810098503099

Edited by xfactor675

31 minutes ago, natenomm said:

Whoa, didn't know Lilliput out of Milwaukee let you order online now. Back in the Exclusive Record Co days their site was pretty barebones. Cool to see they upgraded!

In a post Exclusive Company world it’s kind of a bummer to hear how “at the mercy” some of their stores were to being stuck in their stubborn 1990 standards. I’m glad some of their managers and new owners are doing some good shit. 

• 2 months later...

Picked up a copy and was happy to see this getting the 2xLP treatment.  I have a beat up old scratchy OG copy.  However, I'm a bit disappointed that they completely cut out "Cool Breeze On the Rocks" and just replaced it with a 5 second rewind sort of effect.  Bummer.  I can only imagine it didn't clear samples (since there's like 50 samples in the course of under a minute for the whole track), or otherwise would have just been far too complicated to get everything cleared despite half those samples coming from other hip-hop contemporaries.

9 hours ago, axisrecapital said:

I just can't believe they couldn't get the rights from Eddie Murphy for the simple little line "Anybody in the audience ever get hit by a car?" in 3 is the Magic Number.

Not saying you are but I can't believe people are making a big deal out of it. "Yay De La Soul got their rights back! RIP Trugoy... but hey where's my half second clip of Eddie Murphy?!"

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Not saying you are but I can't believe people are making a big deal out of it. "Yay De La Soul got their rights back! RIP Trugoy... but hey where's my half second clip of Eddie Murphy?!"

I mean, when you've been listening to these tracks for 30 years and so much of it is committed to memory hearing parts that are missing something, or a little out of place is a bit weird.  Good on them for getting their rights back, more power to them and I hope it leads to a new generation of listeners discovering their exceptionally wonderful music.

As someone who’s never really listened to these albums before, how different were the originals compared to what’s now on streaming? Just a few clips missing, like the Eddie Murphy clip mentioned, or are the songs very different now because they’re using different samples?

8 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

As someone who’s never really listened to these albums before, how different were the originals compared to what’s now on streaming? Just a few clips missing, like the Eddie Murphy clip mentioned, or are the songs very different now because they’re using different samples?

I am and have been a De La fan my whole life..   and def have most of the LP2 and LP3 and a bit of the first and 4th LPs memorized and I'd say that it's little things mostly.  A small sample here or there.  I did catch something on De La is dead that sounded like the re recorded a sample, instead of taking it out.  but it was a really small thing.  (I just noticed it and was like.  "wait, that sounded different (or weird).."

17 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

I don't know about "De La Soul Is Dead", but the most obvious difference on "3 Ft High..." is the track "Cool Breeze On the Rocks" has been completely cut and replaced with this quick little rewind sound.  The original track is under a minute and it's entirely made up of samples and pretty fun to listen to as well.

14 hours ago, thepunkguy said:

I am and have been a De La fan my whole life..   and def have most of the LP2 and LP3 and a bit of the first and 4th LPs memorized and I'd say that it's little things mostly.  A small sample here or there.  I did catch something on De La is dead that sounded like the re recorded a sample, instead of taking it out.  but it was a really small thing.  (I just noticed it and was like.  "wait, that sounded different (or weird).."

You are right, there was an article where they explained they had to re-record some samples.