M83 "Fantasy" out March 17, 2023

N8TRU

1 hour ago, wiscodeman said:

Can't wait to hear this. Always regretted skipping seeing them during the Junk tour, but saw them for the HUWD tour and loved it. Hopefully I can make it out to one of the shows this time.

I saw them twice during the Junk era and and once during the HUWD era. I would say all 3 shows were equally great. The best part about the Junk tour was I got a signed drumhead with artwork drawn by (I think) Kaela. I miss seeing Morgan live but Kaela is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

I saw them twice during the Junk era and and once during the HUWD era. I would say all 3 shows were equally great. The best part about the Junk tour was I got a signed drumhead with artwork drawn by (I think) Kaela. I miss seeing Morgan live but Kaela is fantastic.

That's awesome! Yeah agreed about Morgan, but it seems like Kaela holds it down pretty well too. I've watched live vids from the Junk tour and she seems great (especially with her on vocal duty for that song from the Oblivion soundtrack).

This quote from Anthony in the press release really makes me want to see them live again too - "I wanted this record to be very impactful live," he says. "The idea was to come back with something closer to the energy of Before The Dawn Heals Us. The combination of guitars and synths is always in my music, but it’s maybe more present on this new record than on the previous ones." Exciting stuff!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • N8TRU changed the title to M83 "Fantasy" out March 17, 2023

I definitely can't recommend buying this album. There have been many complaints about pressing quality. I have the US version of the pink marble. The a-side has plenty of surface noise while the rest is fine. I'm one of the lucky ones based off customer reviews. On top of that, maybe my 3rd least favorite M83 album if you don't count soundtracks. None of these songs stuck with me and I don't see that changing.

Musically: that’s a strong disagree for me, personally.  I feel like Fantasy is hands-down the best thing Anthony’s done since HUWD, and it’s not even close.  I really didn’t care for either of his last LPs but this one feels like a spiritual successor to HUWD and I’m on board with that.  First listen had me sold but it’s only gotten better with each revisit.  I don’t think there’s anything on the album that is as instantly catchy as HUWD’s singles, but it still feels super consistent and I can definitely pull several hooks and melodies from memory already.

Physically: yeah, that seems to be the general consensus unfortunately.  Been keeping an eye on all Discogs reviews and it seems like the only viable press is the Euro indie blue.

I'm somewhat in the middle of those 2 opinions. I am enjoying this album quite a bit, but I also enjoy most of their other work better. Haven't picked up the vinyl yet. I'll prob wait until there is a consensus on the best sounding version. 

Prob put it in this order rn. And it likely could compete with Saturdays,  but I think Morgan kibby is sorely missed. I'm not sure the new woman's name, but she has more of a whimsical voice. (Likely part of the reason why she was chosen for junk). Where as Morgan's voice was used in a more haunting way and I think that was beautiful on her run with the band. 

Dead cities

Before the dawn

HUWD

Saturdays

Fantasy

DSVII

M83

DSVI

Junk

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Virtually everything I’ve read has suggested that the Euro indie blue marble is the way to go.  It also happens to look a lot more interesting than the US equivalent (which reportedly sounds like butt).

Yea that seems to be what I'm hearing too. Prob what I'll go with. 

On 4/2/2023 at 2:36 AM, Derek™ said:

Virtually everything I’ve read has suggested that the Euro indie blue marble is the way to go.  It also happens to look a lot more interesting than the US equivalent (which reportedly sounds like butt).

I have the Euro indie blue marble and it does indeed sound good, no complaints at all.

As to the music I'd say it's not top tier (Dead Cities / Dawn / Saturdays / Hurry Up / DSVII which I'd say are all great - I know DSVII isn't a universal opinion), but it's better than Junk, DSVI & the debut. I'd probably rank it alongside the soundtrack albums as being good in parts but nothing to blow me away.

Edited by CeCeCe