PO soon: boygenius - "The Record" | Out March 31st (Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker)

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The random Japanese OBI thing from non-japanese shops is by far the dumbest gimmick I've seen recently. It's like the vinyl version of a white dude in a kimono. 

The Assai versions are just the UK indie releases and they slap an obi on it. Occasionally it'll be signed but usually not. 

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The random Japanese OBI thing from non-japanese shops is by far the dumbest gimmick I've seen recently. It's like the vinyl version of a white dude in a kimono. 

Totally agreed. Most of the time if I get a record and a little slip cover thing like that is included, one that usually only wraps on one side of the record, I'm worried about wrecking it anyways. They're too fragile and just fall off. Just keep the important bits inside the jacket itself. 

7 minutes ago, Skacel said:

The Assai versions are just the UK indie releases and they slap an obi on it. Occasionally it'll be signed but usually not. 

Yeah I know, there's an extremely annoying battle going on on Discogs between people who don't want extra entries just because this specific shop feels the need to do this so often. It'd be an easy solution if people would just realize it's cringe and not buy them.

2 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Totally agreed. Most of the time if I get a record and a little slip cover thing like that is included, one that usually only wraps on one side of the record, I'm worried about wrecking it anyways. They're too fragile and just fall off. Just keep the important bits inside the jacket itself. 

I don't mind them in general because I just resleeve everything I get, but they're supposed to be useful by having the album title and track list more legible. Why do that in a language you can't read for no actual reason? Lol

7 minutes ago, wiscodeman said:

I only own a couple albums that came with OBI strips. I wish I had them for a few of my albums where the spine faded from being in my sunny apartment...

Honestly, there’s probably a pretty penny to be made making custom OBI strips for existing records. Like that dude who made sleeves for Deja Entendu with a cut out for the astronaut. 

• 4 weeks later...