PO: Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance (Revisited)

Tour dates:

Thrice -- The Artist In The Ambulance 20th Anniversary Tour Dates
May 18 – San Diego, CA – The Observatory North Park
May 20 – Tempe, AZ – Marquee Theatre
May 22 – Dallas, TX – The Echo Lounge & Music Hall
May 23 – Austin, TX – Emo’s Austin
May 25 – Orlando, FL – House Of Blues
May 26 – Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade - Heaven
May 27 – Carrboro, NC – Cat’s Cradle
May 28 – Baltimore, MD – Rams Head Live!
May 30 – Philadelphia, PA – Theatre of The Living Arts
June 1 – New York, NY – Brooklyn Steel
June 2 – Boston, MA – House Of Blues
June 3 – Montreal, QC – Corona Theatre
June 4 – Toronto, ON – Phoenix Concert Theatre
June 5 – Buffalo, NY – Town Ballroom
June 7 – Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues
June 8 – Detroit, MI – Crofoot Ballroom
June 9 – Chicago, IL – House Of Blues
June 10 – St. Louis, MO – Red Flag
June 12 – Denver, CO – Summit
June 13 – Salt Lake City, UT – Union Event Center
June 15 – Seattle, WA – The Showbox
June 17 – Portland, OR – Roseland Theater
June 19 – San Francisco, CA – Regency Ballroom
June 21 – Los Angeles, CA – The Wiltern
June 23 – Anaheim, CA – House Of Blues

5 minutes ago, achillesstand7 said:

Thaaaaaank you. I just checked in and realized I missed all the previous boats. 

This variant isn’t shipping until end of May. A two month turnaround for a quick order increase isn’t too bad. Looks like wait times at plants are getting shorter this year. 

Edited by Boaty McBoatface

3 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

sounding better than the og one

Maybe a little debatable.

I’m with Alan in admitting that I don’t exactly get the purpose of doing this.  You’re 100% right; re-recording an album note for note, it would be goofy to expect something that stretched way outside the box.  I wouldn’t want to hear this album remixed by 12 different artists on 12 different tracks.  Nor would I want a full acoustic / demo version of it.

I guess for me, TAITA was sort of “the” album that opened my youthful eyes to modern genres and bands that became a cornerstone to my tastes today.  I don’t listen to much Thrice in 2023.  I do still have their pre-hiatus stuff on the shelf, even if I seldom reach for it, but I cannot deny that everything about TAITA is etched into my brain from an absurd amount of listens over the last two decades.

I think the OG TAITA was on Island, right?  They seem like a weird black hole for select artists and albums.  (Thinking of Thursday’s WATT, another teen staple of mine.)  Part of me thought that this re-recording was Thrice taking a page from Taylor Swift and trying to do their own “version” of the record that they’d have full rights to.  But I’m also thrown off from that theory a bit, since TAITA has seen several repressed over the years – compared to WATT, again, which feels under lock & chain.

So, again; I’m just confused about the purpose of this thing.  It proves that the band members still have their technical chops even if they’re all older and more tired than they were in 2003.  Dustin’s vocals sound like they’ve held up well, but… I’m still going to be a buzzkill and say that the nuances and production of 2003 TAITA make it its own special record and snapshot of its time.  This new recording doesn’t take me back 20 years.  It feels like a live capture of the record without the audience, with some questionable features (Architects 🤢) and I just don’t know what to make of that.

At the end of the day, it’s neater than a lot of the anniversary approaches discussed above, so I should probably just back off and let it be.  Still think it’s weird though.  Sort of like updated interior inside of a vintage muscle car, or something.  Rides the same.  Still satisfying to drive.  Maybe even has a few new bells and whistles to ooh and aah.  But still kind of misses the mark when it comes to the experience of enjoying something from days gone.

@Derek™ I view this as an alternative take, rather than trying to improve or one up the original. The original will always be the best cause that album is perfection instrumentally, it doesn’t need to change. The mix however is a different story. But a reimagining is cool, cause you can take it at its own and still appreciate the original, instead of a remake. I think it sounds rad and mostly grabbed it cause I sold my OG copy a long time ago and never got around to getting the deluxe. But regardless, this is fun, and that’s a win to me. 

Edited by Sad Heart

5 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

I think they just launched it early and it’s not really live yet. 

Maybe, I was able to add it to cart 8min ago. But “sold out” before checkout. Also the listing is still there, whereas earlier today they took down the listing.

4 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

What was the uo color? 

Blue in cloudy clear (color in color).

Edited by iDealélan

Also strange that there is no brooklyn vegan variant. They are already posted about the album without their own variant preorder. 

Also Derek, why does it have to have a purpose? Why can't they just do it if they want to. Also as much as i like the og one it sounds awful, and always thought it could have been much better album with a better mix. And now this one delivers it, and they don't sound old and sloppy. For me it was a perfect surprise I'd never expected.

38 minutes ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

Shut up, Derek. 

Nah.

37 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

@Derek™ I view this as an alternative take, rather than trying to improve or one up the original. The original will always be the best cause that album is perfection instrumentally, it doesn’t need to change. The mix however is a different story. But a reimagining is cool, cause you can take it at its own and still appreciate the original, instead of a remake. I think it sounds rad and mostly grabbed it cause I sold my OG copy a long time ago and never got around to getting the deluxe. But regardless, this is fun, and that’s a win to me. 

Definitely not a sequel or one-up, yeah.  TAITA 2: Reloaded (Retirement Edition) just doesn’t have the same ring to it.  The mixing is maybe one of the bigger appeals here.  I think the big test is seeing how many Thrice fiends actually reach for this record on their shelf if both versions reside there.

20 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Also Derek, why does it have to have a purpose? Why can't they just do it if they want to. Also as much as i like the og one it sounds awful, and always thought it could have been much better album with a better mix. And now this one delivers it, and they don't sound old and sloppy. For me it was a perfect surprise I'd never expected.

The surprise factor is probably my favorite aspect of this release, I agree.  They had no obligations to do something like this.  Typically if one jumps through the hoops to fully retread a previous album, though - especially if they pull in features - I would say there’s generally a purpose for the time, energy, and funds being spent to make that happen.  99% of the time, anyway.  Maybe this is within the 1% that is strictly “for funsies”… and if so, that’s great.  I personally haven’t been able to get into anything Thrice has done post-hiatus, so this is probably as close as I’ll get to hearing the band in their current state output something I can at least kind of resonate with.  But again, even if the production isn’t to your preference, I still think 2003 TAITA and its nuances (flaws) make it untouchable, like Matt said.  Not as a flawless album, but as a pillar of nostalgia.

That being said, do not misinterpret this dialogue as me posting “this shit sucks 😂 why would our guys buy this?  Just track down an OG ffs”.  Because that’s not what I’m saying.  The band is moving a lot of units on this thing so the interest is clearly there.  I’m definitely seeing some comments on various platforms that do insist this feels more like a live album – some going as far as to call it “soulless” – with others questioning, too, the entire point of re-recording just this album in their discography.  If anything I’m not entirely alone with this old-man rant.

Not a big fan of the live recording sound. Stare At The Sun sounds way less memorable than the OG recording because you can't hear the super melodic guitar effect as much. Either way, these are selling fast, and I'll definitely grab one.

Edit: Just under $29 with their email signup coupon code. E-Z Buy. Snagged an ultra clear

Edited by FlippingOut

Nabbed the Alliance Exclusive and the splatter before crashing last night.

Also, the band were never overly happy with how the OG Artist turned out because of having to rush the process. I'm glad they get to return to these amazing songs with a more modern Thrice approach performance and production wise.