PO: The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site 20th anniversary LP (out 4/28/23)

• scottheisel changed the title to PO: The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site 20th anniversary LP (out 4/28/23)

2 minutes ago, porkdad said:

So there's nothing besides the color variants that identify this as a 20th Anniversary pressing?

As it should be right, @ethanpricington? Just kidding.

But this is what I like, a record just gets a repress, no added demos to be a 3 lp, no alternate covers, just a repress for people who just want to buy a copy for a decent price  without the nonsense flare nowadays... 

55 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

As it should be right, @ethanpricington? Just kidding.

But this is what I like, a record just gets a repress, no added demos to be a 3 lp, no alternate covers, just a repress for people who just want to buy a copy for a decent price  without the nonsense flare nowadays... 

Haha, I can get behind these kinds of represses for sure. That said, as someone who has owned all of this bands records for some time, I may have gone in for some added fun stuff.

39 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Haha, I can get behind these kinds of represses for sure. That said, as someone who has owned all of this bands records for some time, I may have gone in for some added fun stuff.

I was about to say the same thing...if it's a band I don't know by heart then sure regular repress but maaaaaan these guys' discography were so scant with any extra b-sides, demos, or anything besides what made it on to file sharing sites that I was really hoping for some bonus stuff when I clicked on the thread. Shit, I've probably listened to reconstruction site four times already this week, so I was caught by surprise with it!

16 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I was about to say the same thing...if it's a band I don't know by heart then sure regular repress but maaaaaan these guys' discography were so scant with any extra b-sides, demos, or anything besides what made it on to file sharing sites that I was really hoping for some bonus stuff when I clicked on the thread. Shit, I've probably listened to reconstruction site four times already this week, so I was caught by surprise with it!

This is where I’m at as well. I’m all for repressing great albums (and this sure qualifies) but if you giving me a repress of an album that is pretty easy to obtain currently, I need more than a different color to sell me. I could be wrong, but I don’t get the sense there’s a large contingent of Weakerthans variant collectors eager to gobble this up. Most people who want to own this album probably already do. 

Just now, dawhizz said:

This is where I’m at as well. I’m all for repressing great albums (and this sure qualifies) but if you giving me a repress of an album that is pretty easy to obtain currently, I need more than a different color to sell me. I could be wrong, but I don’t get the sense there’s a large contingent of Weakerthans variant collectors eager to gobble this up. Most people who want to own this album probably already do. 

I might grab it and swap it for my black one if I didn't already do that when the brooklynvegan et al exclusives happened. Also can we get an actual reunion or something? I'd even settle for another solo JKS tour

I mean they did the first repress on color last year with no bells/whistles, so that's just confusing how this is a "20th anniversary pressing" besides the convenient timing lol.

Although... if the mockup is true, this would the first US pressing where it's zoomed-in artwork? Like my CD copy where it folds over onto the other side of the jacket. The other US presses have the full artwork on the front jacket. Boom. Now you all have to own this copy.

Edited by porkdad

28 minutes ago, porkdad said:

I mean they did the first repress on color last year with no bells/whistles, so that's just confusing how this is a "20th anniversary pressing" besides the convenient timing lol.

Although... if the mockup is true, this would the first US pressing where it's zoomed-in artwork? Like my CD copy where it folds over onto the other side of the jacket. The other US presses have the full artwork on the front jacket. Boom. Now you all have to own this copy.

I'm almost certain that's just lazy mockup on their part. Zoomed out artwork is better anyway 😜

36 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I might grab it and swap it for my black one if I didn't already do that when the brooklynvegan et al exclusives happened. Also can we get an actual reunion or something? I'd even settle for another solo JKS tour

Still super bummed about the last tour that was cancelled due to Covid.  I had tickets to that one and they never rescheduled. 

not that i care what pitchfork thinks but i was googling the album to see what the actual anniversary would be and saw their review of it for the first time, which is fucking awful. props to @scottheisel for recognizing perfection right out of the gate, on the other hand.

14 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

not that i care what pitchfork thinks but i was googling the album to see what the actual anniversary would be and saw their review of it for the first time, which is fucking awful. props to @scottheisel for recognizing perfection right out of the gate, on the other hand.

It is still my favorite album of the 2000s. Just a goddamn phenomenal record. "The Reasons" was the first dance at my wedding!

In related news, JKS and Christine Fellows just put out an album of instrumental music except for the last track, which is JKS singing and includes the Weakerthans' rhythm section. It's the closest we've gotten to a new Weakerthans song in a loooong time:

https://vivatvirtute.bandcamp.com/track/do-not-worry

14 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

“The title track sounds like Smash Mouth” made my jaw drop. 

20 hours ago, scottheisel said:

It is still my favorite album of the 2000s. Just a goddamn phenomenal record. "The Reasons" was the first dance at my wedding!

In related news, JKS and Christine Fellows just put out an album of instrumental music except for the last track, which is JKS singing and includes the Weakerthans' rhythm section. It's the closest we've gotten to a new Weakerthans song in a loooong time:

https://vivatvirtute.bandcamp.com/track/do-not-worry

Damn I missed this when it went up. Thanks Scott.  I love JKS so much.  Wonder if they will press this one? I've bugged them about pressing Millennium for All and Fantasy Baseball but haven't been able to get anywhere with Epitaph licensing or JKS direct.  I talked to Christine a little bit about some things.

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, MacDonals said:

FYI, this was repressed in half red half black ("appleblack"). https://theweakerthans.kingsroadmerch.com/product/25489/reconstruction-site-lp-appleblack

I ordered the print and my god either the ink or the paper smells terrible. Anyone have this happen before and know how to fix?

That's what's been available on Amazon the whole time (and it's currently only $20 Prime, too).