PO: Avenged Sevenfold - “Life Is But A Dream...” Out 6/2/23

4 hours ago, onandonandon said:

Was any one else as taken aback by the vocals as I was? I had to do a double take to make sure that it was still M. Shadows. I understand he is getting older and this is their first "new" material in almost a decade but he just sounds really off.

Same. I thought the vocals sounded horrible, personally. 

9 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

I never considered myself a fan of the band but I definitely listened to tracks from their first two albums. I guess they’ve gone full blown Progressive Metal now. 

The first two were lots fun. City of Evil was listenable, but everything after than has been pretty bad imo. 

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, faaip de oiad said:

Wow This cot Me by surprise. Wasn't expecting to like this. I've never really dug a7x, but I'm digging this. Thinking I might pick this up next week when I visit Zia...🤔

No judgment but generally curious, what stuck out to you? I gave it a listen and like most a7x, it was not for me. The vocals and the production on the vocals ruined most songs for me. I do appreciate them trying out new genres and the trilogy of G. O. and D. might be the weirdest thing I would expect from a7x.

4 hours ago, onandonandon said:

No judgment but generally curious, what stuck out to you? I gave it a listen and like most a7x, it was not for me. The vocals and the production on the vocals ruined most songs for me. I do appreciate them trying out new genres and the trilogy of G. O. and D. might be the weirdest thing I would expect from a7x.

Well funny thing. This very thread made me write this off without even hearing the first single. His vocals are what always turned me off the most in previous albums and the fact that every album was so samey? So I kinda wrote it off early on. But the other day Spotify through this in my mix while I was driving. I heard the song nobody and figured since I was trapped n my car I'd check out the album. I was expecting another bat country but no. 

What i like and what I'm digging is that it's not the usual a7x. Very experimental and dare I say, progressive? I like the Grim and Existential mood as well. Very introspective. Anyways, i digress. My car is where I can crank my music. So my first experience was loud. I got a good chunk of the album in my car. Maybe that was what did it lol 😆 

BTW, does anyone know who played the piano at the end?