Discord / Reddit

I dig all options, but (and maybe this is just me being a newb) on Reddit you can't see what you have and have not seen with the "mark as read" function. At least in Discord you can click the channel to mark it as read. I'll follow the future, but something similar to what we have minus the spam and outages is my preference... not sure that's a possibility though.

Maybe the minority here - but I love this forum as it is. And while it's a bummer when it's down, I really don't have interest to join discord (it feels to immediate and creates an unnecessary sense of urgency for me), or reddit (to overwhelming). 

But that's just me, and I'd do what I have to, to stay up with the releases wherever folks migrate to. 

28 minutes ago, Justinadamk said:

Maybe the minority here - but I love this forum as it is. And while it's a bummer when it's down, I really don't have interest to join discord (it feels to immediate and creates an unnecessary sense of urgency for me), or reddit (to overwhelming). 

But that's just me, and I'd do what I have to, to stay up with the releases wherever folks migrate to. 

I'm feeling the same way. To me, Discord seems to hectic and fast-paced for my liking. As you said, feels "urgent".

Reddit...so far in my measly 3 days of having joined, feels cluttered and in certain communities, was too many morons posting asinine shit. 

I have always preferred the forum format for this sort of thing vs. Reddit. I like posts being bumped to the top when new comments happen. And the vinyl subs are too big to really get to know people. I like that part of VC probably more than I like hearing about new releases. I use Reddit a lot for other hobbies and fandoms I am part of and can’t say I have formed any friendships or made any acquaintances in r/guitarpedals or whatever other ones I post in with a billion other people.

12 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I have always preferred the forum format for this sort of thing vs. Reddit. I like posts being bumped to the top when new comments happen. And the vinyl subs are too big to really get to know people. I like that part of VC probably more than I like hearing about new releases. I use Reddit a lot for other hobbies and fandoms I am part of and can’t say I have formed any friendships or made any acquaintances in r/guitarpedals or whatever other ones I post in with a billion other people.

My thoughts are pretty in line with this too. The self-contained nature of message boards definitely promotes more of a community aspect than any subreddit I've ever been on has. 

I still talk to old friends from various message boards on a regular basis, despite neither one of us having anything to do with those communities anymore (if they even still exist). Can't say the same about anyone I've ever talked to on Reddit. 

echoing the sentiment, something about the way we are doing things here seems way nicer than reddit and discord. I really love our little community that we spent years carving out for ourselves. Really reminds me of times before the social media apps made just about everything toxic af

14 hours ago, DarrenMcCall said:

I played around Discord Forums when they first added the feature and I’ve forgotten about it since. Maybe they’ve worked out all the kinks. I’d love to test it out with VC!

Yeah I'd like to test it out too but I'm not on desktop and the app can be weird on mobile. 

As to everyone else, yeah discord is too busy compared to forums as it's more of an "organized" chat room with areas sectioned off, and reddit while more organized, can also be a free for all but with flairs on topics, to distinguish topic from topic. Also reddit is like meme central, and fuck memes cluttering actual attempts at conversation. 

No one's suggesting abandoning this place. This place is MUCH preferred as that seems to be the general consensus 100%. Personally I'd hate to leave. It's just that we've had two outages lately that were for days and no one really knew what was going on, and it would be nice to have a secondary place where we could converse and share new PO and releases while the forum is down. A majority of the posters here know other people's tastes and would interest us. Vinyldeals posts maybe one good deal a week and vinylreleases covers such a broad spectrum of genres and artists that I simply don't care about. 

So yeah I don't think anyone wants to just up and leave here. It would just be nice to have a backup place when VC goes down because as much as I don't wanna admit it, it's prob gonna happen again 😞

30 minutes ago, FEN1XD0WN said:

It's just that we've had two outages lately that were for days and no one really knew what was going on, and it would be nice to have a secondary place where we could converse and share new PO and releases while the forum is down.

I was wondering what the issue was, so thanks for explaining. It would be nice to have a secondary place to chat.  @jhulud if you don't end up creating anything, I can make a dedicated #vinyl-collective channel on my Discord server. Otherwise, let me know if I can help in anyway!

Edited by DarrenMcCall

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Wasda’s complete VC meltdown is still one of the funniest things to go down on this board, that I can recall from recent memory.  I can think of no place more appropriate for him to dwell than Facebook comment sections.

Where was this and how did I miss it? Link me. 

15 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Where was this and how did I miss it? Link me. 

It was all over the place.  He got tilted over being ridiculed for his frivolous links / updates, and in the span of ~15 minutes, just went into a half-dozen different threads I was active in and spammed them.  Threads that he had never posted in prior, and had no interest in – he just wanted to gunk them up with some obnoxious ToGgLe CaPs commentary.  Some weird eye-for-an-eye attempt I’d guess.

There are some random spots out there. I think discord really depends on the community, any of them for that matter. 
Get some like-minded folks together and it will work well, let some turds be turds and anywhere will stink. They've all got pros and cons. Discord has a nice way to notify and alert people, so if a legit PO drops, you can notify your homies. Not something you can easily do on reddit or even these forums. Discord struggles with threads and kinda keeping long-running topics together, reddit and these forums excel at that.