An album you forgot how good it was:

Sometimes I'll pull a random album or use the discogs app to randomly select something from my collection to listen to, and I'll think, "Well fuck. This album/artist is awesome. Why aren't I listening to it more often?"

Tonight I pulled out Cosmo's Factory and was like, "Why am I not just constantly listening to CCR?"

Any albums that have done that for you lately?

Good thread idea, I've toyed with the idea of making something very similar a few times in the past.  It'd be cool if people try to comment on the post above – for example, I've never heard of Cosmo; forgive the laziness, but what genre would you classify them as?

Here's where I would keep the chain going if I had myself one of those light-bulb moments recently.  If it counts, Big Ups' Before A Million Universes was the last record I played [earlier this week] where I knew it was good, and that I should be throwing it on more... but it still clicked especially hard.  One of those moments where you throw an album on hoping that it'll scratch the itch you've got, and it ends up delivering in spades for the mood you're in.  I think that kinda' counts.

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Good thread idea, I've toyed with the idea of making something very similar a few times in the past.  It'd be cool if people try to comment on the post above – for example, I've never heard of Cosmo; forgive the laziness, but what genre would you classify them as?

Here's where I would keep the chain going if I had myself one of those light-bulb moments recently.  If it counts, Big Ups' Before A Million Universes was the last record I played [earlier this week] where I knew it was good, and that I should be throwing it on more... but it still clicked especially hard.  One of those moments where you throw an album on hoping that it'll scratch the itch you've got, and it ends up delivering in spades for the mood you're in.  I think that kinda' counts.

So i was actually listening to the album Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It falls either in Southern Rock (although early for that) or classic rock. So many classic songs on that puppy.

Sometimes the album that perfectly fits the moment hits just right. I haven't heard the one you mentioned, so I need to get on that one.

8 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

So i was actually listening to the album Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It falls either in Southern Rock (although early for that) or classic rock. So many classic songs on that puppy.

Sometimes the album that perfectly fits the moment hits just right. I haven't heard the one you mentioned, so I need to get on that one.

😂 I'm absolutely dense when it comes to the classics but I'm not even gonna' bother editing that post to save face.  The apostrophe had me thinking it was the album Factory by Cosmos.  Doesn't change anything though, because I am woefully unfamiliar with CCR so Cosmo's Factory is an equally large mystery to me.  I suck. 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

😂 I'm absolutely dense when it comes to the classics but I'm not even gonna' bother editing that post to save face.  The apostrophe had me thinking it was the album Factory by Cosmos.  Doesn't change anything though, because I am woefully unfamiliar with CCR so Cosmo's Factory is an equally large mystery to me.  I suck. 🤷‍♂️

Alllllll good! Highly suggest the album though. If you've ever listened to classic rock radio as a kid you'll recognize at least one song, likely 3 or more. This album is a hit machine.

5 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Alllllll good! Highly suggest the album though. If you've ever listened to classic rock radio as a kid you'll recognize at least one song, likely 3 or more. This album is a hit machine.

I believe it.  I keep waiting for a “classic rock awakening” of sorts to happen with me, but the appeal just hasn’t been there yet.  I sort of blame my dad trying to imprint his tastes on me until I was probably ~11 or so.  The songwriting I can admire, but more often than not it’s the production that teleports me back and turns me off from listening further.  Maybe I’ll get over that hill someday.

37 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

If we’re doing classic rock entries, I pulled out In the Court of the Crimson King recently for the first time in a while and, man, it’s still tough to beat. 

Fucking for real. Great album! While this does certainly fall into "classic rock" territory I always just think of it as a prog album which for whatever reason is a whole different area of my brain. Yes falls into there too and they've got some killer albums that I listen to less than I should.

Also going with a classic, but the first Simple Minds album, Life in a Day, is weirdly sounding super fresh to me. Upon first listen, I thought the album was released within a year or so ago, and, nah, '79 mate! It's got the fun and energy of a Sparks album mixed up with some glam, classic rock elements and god damn it's just a fun album.

Also Talk Talk Colour of Spring is a decent one to get stuck into when I need a break from current stuff.

Sadly, this isn't on vinyl (yet), but Billy Corgan's first solo album (THEFUTUREEMBRACE), has held up incredibly well. It had been at least a decade since I listened to it. I remember I was on a trip to Chicago, I walked to a music store and bought the CD on release day, my first daughter was asleep strapped to my torso in one of those baby carriers. When I pulled it out a couple weeks ago, it was pretty amazing to hear. Obviously it has some memories attached to it (my daughter is 18 now) from a time in my life that is very much a blur, but the music sounds great either way. No one wanted to give him credit back then, but that album was very much ahead of its time.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, dawhizz said:

If we’re doing classic rock entries, I pulled out In the Court of the Crimson King recently for the first time in a while and, man, it’s still tough to beat. 

Weird, I threw that one on maybe a week ago and the same thoughts went through my head. 

51 minutes ago, Billich0986 said:

Deftones's Gore. I'm not a Deftones fan, but for whatever reason, this album just has that "it" factor for me and checks all of the right boxes.

Even as a Deftones fan I really think this album is great and gets dumped on unfairly.  I binged it when it came out, but still play it once or twice a year consistently.

I feel like Galaxie 500 is a band I only recently started checking out & thinking I couldn’t believe how good they were & the sound they had for a late 80s band.  But even so I forget to revisit them unless they pop up on my shuffle.  This thread has actually inspired me to dive back in tomorrow.