PO (NOW): Sufjan Stevens - Reflections

Just got the hot goss on the latest Sufjan release. It looks like there is a standard and deluxe version which comes with a copy of Decalogue and a reflections slipmat. I'm a fanboi so I jumped in without looking but looking forward to hearing this!

BANDCAMP:
https://music.sufjan.com/album/reflections

From Bandcamp: “I'm constantly thinking about bodies moving through space when I'm writing for ballet – that is what has informed this music, first and foremost,” says Sufjan Stevens on Reflections, his latest collaboration with choreographer Justin Peck. Originally commissioned and performed by Houston Ballet in 2019, Reflections was written for two pianos and eleven dancers. A studio recording of the seven movements is now available; engineered, mixed and mastered by Ryan Streber with performances by pianists Timo Andres and Conor Hanick. Released via Asthmatic Kitty Records, Reflections is, in Stevens words, about “energy, light and duality.” This piece follows on from several scores Stevens has created with Peck, including Year of the Rabbit (2012) Everywhere We Go (2014), In the Countenance of Kings (2016), The Decalogue (2017) and Principia (2019). “We have been working together for many years now,” says Stevens. “We respect and trust each other's work.” Peck and Stevens are currently collaborating on a dance theater piece based on Stevens’ songs from the acclaimed album, Illinois, to premiere at Fisher Center at Bard in June of 2023.

4 hours ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Also an Age of Adz repress. I wasn't crazy about AoA when it came out, but it's great.

dang is it out of print again? i remember waiting for it to come back in stock for like 3 years until i scored a copy a couple years ago, didn't realize it was gone again (although i am seeing some indie shops have copies still)

On 4/18/2023 at 11:32 PM, copelandkid said:

dang is it out of print again? i remember waiting for it to come back in stock for like 3 years until i scored a copy a couple years ago, didn't realize it was gone again (although i am seeing some indie shops have copies still)

It's so odd too—you can get a copy of just about everything Asthmatic Kitty has ever put out, but not Age of Adz. I've wanted a new copy forever just because I've played mine SO many times and it looks it. AoA slowly became my favorite Sufjan album, but I was not originally into it when it was released.

3 hours ago, bluethumb said:

It's so odd too—you can get a copy of just about everything Asthmatic Kitty has ever put out, but not Age of Adz. I've wanted a new copy forever just because I've played mine SO many times and it looks it. AoA slowly became my favorite Sufjan album, but I was not originally into it when it was released.

so i did some digging into this after reading your comment and found a reddit thread where AK said the plates were lost for the release and they have to be restamped and/or the release remastered (something they've considered doing to get Impossible Soul all on one side). would explain why it's not stayed in print when other LP titles of his have.

4 hours ago, copelandkid said:

so i did some digging into this after reading your comment and found a reddit thread where AK said the plates were lost for the release and they have to be restamped and/or the release remastered (something they've considered doing to get Impossible Soul all on one side). would explain why it's not stayed in print when other LP titles of his have.

Nice sluethin' kid! For real I had no idea but that would make sense—I hope they find a way to do it, it's getting up there in price on Discogs