Personal Vinyl Record Collection (Database Creation)

I retired from work a few years ago and since that time I seriously started to catalog my recordings to a personal database (MS Access). I thought it might be of interest for some of you if I share certain recordings from time to time. Currently I'm busy with my 7-inch singles, now I'm with the character "S":

Again a little beauty from my 7-inch singles cabinet, that I wanna share . . . 😇

'Nature's Way' / 'Stone Free' - Spirit
   (UK Illegal - IL007, 1978)
    original first English red label release

The cover photos were taken by 'Jill Furmanovsky' a British photographer who's known for her work with rock musicians.

The song on the A-side is a live version from their critically acclaimed art-rock album "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus", with extended playing time.
The flip-side is a cover of a well known 'Jimi Hendrix' song, alienated and also with extended duration.

I don't have so many recordings by 'em, albums as well as singels, therefor I can't tell whether the 'Hendix' song cover was a non released track at that time.

Tonight it's an invitation to follow 'Nature's Way . . . 💫

'Nature's Way (live) 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by B_big

2 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

I'm curious why you would choose to use MS Access rather than just entering your collection in Discogs, where it's associated with marketplace data and more portable.

Came to say this, Discogs has already done the hard work; all you have to do if plug your collection in. 

2 hours ago, ParallelofDeath said:

I'm curious why you would choose to use MS Access rather than just entering your collection in Discogs, where it's associated with marketplace data and more portable.

2 hours ago, Corgipants said:

Came to say this, Discogs has already done the hard work; all you have to do if plug your collection in. 

@ParallelofDeath / @Corgipants

I don't want to store my personal data on a server that I can't access to make a backup, that's the main intention. On the other hand, I do have some records that aren't listed on 'Discogs'.

When I add a record to my dbase, I also add it to my Discogs collection and the 7-inch 45s at 45cat.

https://www.45cat.com/

2 hours ago, B_big said:

@ParallelofDeath / @Corgipants

I don't want to store my personal data on a server that I can't access to make a backup, that's the main intention. On the other hand, I do have some records that aren't listed on 'Discogs'.

When I add a record to my dbase, I also add it to my Discogs collection and the 7-inch 45s at 45cat.

https://www.45cat.com/

Do what you wish, but FYI you can download backups of your collection on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/users/export?w=collection

It would also be a service to the community to add missing items to Discogs.

4 hours ago, molokujo said:

It would also be a service to the community to add missing items to Discogs.

But then you have to deal with the nerds who police the shit out of everything (usually, stuff they don't even own) that doesn't conform to policy to a T.

Better not put the images out of order, or you'll be in a world of hurt. 

This is on that same level of people taking super high res scans of every video game manual that exists and archiving them. I respect the hell out of anyone diving this hard into a passion project. Much more interesting then some Bushwick vegan posting photos of their splatter records and feet on Reddit and Instagram.

3 hours ago, mitchard said:

But then you have to deal with the nerds who police the shit out of everything (usually, stuff they don't even own) that doesn't conform to policy to a T.

Better not put the images out of order, or you'll be in a world of hurt. 

I've never had any issues posting new stuff on discogs and I've made a few entries.

If you make a correction to an entry it has to have a note as to why the correction was made and people usually just throw in a quick explanation which I guess could come off rude? It's never bothered me though unless someone makes a "correction" that is actually inaccurate.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

I’ve had guys (always European) stalk my entries and dig up 10+ at a time for entries that are years old and just say shit like “needs the bitrate” or “fix the proper capitalization to meet rule 6969” on everything. 

I understand where they are coming from, but they are relentless and very authoritative… even when it is releases that no more 10 people will ever look at.

Edited by porkdad

@molokujo 

Thank you for your tip about exporting 'Discogs' dbases, but that's not the same as my personal one, my entries are much more detailed,

especially the   comments and extended grading descriptions.

spacer.png

I have only experienced bad reactions when adding new entries to Discogs. It's not my aim to take "night classes" to meet their targets for new additions.

But nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, it is really appreciated.

@Shelby

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Also, in my head there's something strangely normal about the idea of every vinyl collector making their own collection database and showing it to other collectors who also only care about their own database but act interested to validate each others time investment.

This isn't the only reason for me to share some of my recordings on forums, I just wanna show the ones I have that are special to me . . .

and I've   experienced a lot of appreciation from collectors on other forums.

Edited by B_big

11 hours ago, porkdad said:

I’ve had guys (always European) stalk my entries and dig up 10+ at a time for entries that are years old and just say shit like “needs the bitrate” or “fix the proper capitalization to meet rule 6969” on everything. 

I understand where they are coming from, but they are relentless and very authoritative… even when it is releases that no more 10 people will ever look at.

Yeesh. That's annoying.

6 hours ago, B_big said:

@molokujo 

Thanks you for your tip about exporting 'Discogs' dbases, but that's not the same as my personal one, my entries are much more detailed,

spacer.png

Not trying to br a jerk or push you one way or another, but the only field I see there not covered by discogs is "vox: male." Every other field is almost identical.

Specifically to be a jerk and push you to use Discogs, can’t you also add any kind of manual field to any entry on Discogs?  Which will also export when you want to backup your collection in a spreadsheet?

2 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Some of you guys have a lot of time on your hands.

Not the retired guy I guess but everyone else who catalogues their records multiple places

Yeah!  What he said.  You nerds. 😅

8 hours ago, B_big said:

@molokujo 

Thank you for your tip about exporting 'Discogs' dbases, but that's not the same as my personal one, my entries are much more detailed,

spacer.png

All of those fields are on discogs.

Edited by youspinmeround

I think your use of the word ‘mint’ is a little loose. “discoloration otherwise mint”, “surface marks otherwise”. Think you should go over grading conditions and be a little harder on yourself. M sealed, NM unsealed but no damage at all, etc. And you can also do that on Discogs and make the notes, just FYI. 

1 hour ago, Sad Heart said:

I think your use of the word ‘mint’ is a little loose.  . . .  

Firstly, thank you for your input, but if you had taken the trouble to check my feedback, you would have easily seen that the buyers are satisfied . . . 🤗

I never had any complaints about recordings graded 'M'. I have kept all my stock extremely safe and secure!

As far as I am concerned, it is a more than convincing vote! I also regularly receive pm's who appreciate my grading and the additional information about the condition of the record. Often the visual condition doesn't match the audible condition and, and, and ...
By the way, the 'sealed' thing is an annoying American mannersim, I've had lots of records that weren't 'M' when I unpacked them. Don't worry, even the grading is not fixed, it's all floating.

However, most of what I offer comes with an audio clip too.