Turntable questions

I've been listening to vinyl for probably 10+ years now but I'm a newbie to using decent equipment. My previous setup was a JVC record player/radio/cassette player unit. It wasn't until semi recently that I was talking to the owner of my local record shop that I started learning more about the quality of your turntable is important to the longevity of your vinyl and also the quality of the sound. I always assumed the more expensive turntables sounded better but never realized cheaper units could damage the vinyl over time.

I have a family member that has a bunch of sound equipment and he gave me 2 turntables and I can't decide which one to use. They'll both need new needles/cartridges. He doesn't remember when they were replaced as he hasn't used them in most likely 20+ years. I'm trying to decide which of the 2 would be the better one to use. 

The first one is a Phillips GA 212 and the second one is a JVC JL-A40.  Does anyone have any experience or advice on these units?

Is there any specific reason the cartridge might need to be replaced? I didn't know if they occasionally need to be swapped out or wear out. It looks like it uses an MD-1025 cartridge and DT-Z1S stylus according to the instruction manual.

21 hours ago, LIGMA_BALLZ said:

I just googled them and they both look pretty sweet.  If I had to pick one I’d go with the JVC cause it’s a direct drive.  Also looks like it has a detachable head shell so that will give you more options when it comes to different carts and stylus.

2 hours ago, jon2878 said:

Is there any specific reason the cartridge might need to be replaced? I didn't know if they occasionally need to be swapped out or wear out. It looks like it uses an MD-1025 cartridge and DT-Z1S stylus according to the instruction manual.

It’s just more if you wanted to try a different stylus that needs a different cartridge, you got options to swap stuff out