PO NOW: DEFTONES - SELF TITLED (20TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION) 07/16

Labels/bands take note, this is how you do an anniversary repress. No lame alternate cover, no 3LPs filled with demos and acoustic tracks. Just the album for those who doesn't have it. So easy.

Edit: lol I forgot they did exactly this with white pony 

Edited by xfactor675

5 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Labels/bands take note, this is how you do an anniversary repress. No lame alternate cover, no 3LPs filled with demos and acoustic tracks. Just the album for those who doesn't have it. So easy.

It's still $30 plus shipping for a single LP. I get the point you're making, but also by not adding anything, remastering, or doing anything special this should be $20-25 max.

3 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

It's still $30 plus shipping for a single LP. I get the point you're making, but also by not adding anything, remastering, or doing anything special this should be $20-25 max.

Where were you in the last few months? 25-dollar LPs are basically gone by now besides smaller indie labels. 30 is the new standard unfortunately, and yes it's annoying as hell.

Edited by xfactor675

42 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Where were you in the last few months? 25-dollar LPs are basically gone by now besides smaller indie labels. 30 is the new standard unfortunately, and yes it's annoying as hell.

It's incredibly rare that I pay $30 for any single LP anymore. If people stopped buying shit and just accepting it as the "new standard" prices would regress. That's how capitalism works. Vote with your wallet. Buy from smaller labels.

2 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

It's incredibly rare that I pay $30 for any single LP anymore. If people stopped buying shit and just accepting it as the "new standard" prices would regress. That's how capitalism works. Vote with your wallet. Buy from smaller labels.

True, this is what I do. Too bad that newly joined splatter maniac instagram show offs don't think this way and they will gladly pay the 50-dollar price tag.

Edited by xfactor675

1 minute ago, xfactor675 said:

True, this is what I do. Too bad that newly joined splatter maniac insta show offs don't think this way

Those buyers are mostly short timers or infrequent buyers though. There are a ton of people on this board alone who are probably going to buy this at that ridiculous price and it's straight up price gouging.

If Deathwish, RFC, Polyvinyl, etc can sell single LPs for $25 or less (or even better Dischord at $18), a major label printing more copies can obviously do it for less.

It just seems silly to me to normalize" this the way you did by saying, "well, thems the breaks," when someone acknowledges the outrageous price. How are people new to the hobby going to learn if no one teaches them?

The annoying part there is that for huge bands like Deftones, there is even less impact of "voting with your dollar" than, say, an overpriced record on Deathwish or Hello Merch.  Artists like Deftones know how wide their reach is, and that it stretches beyond market-savvy vinyl enthusiasts.  There are plenty of people out there who do not buy vinyl often, so they have no problem shelling out $30, $40, even $50 for a single LP because it's officially licensed on a fancy color.  (Or sometimes not.  Nine Inch Nails' pricing is pretty rough too, for just black vinyl reissues.)

With any overpriced record, for every 1 reasonable person "voting with their wallet", there's 10 who have no problem taking their spot.  And I feel like that ratio is even steeper with artists like Deftones.  I'm happy to still have that Hot Topic variant for this one, so I'm not losing sleep over trying to cop another one.  Someone tag me when they make a 45 RPM double LP that's ruby red translucent and coke bottle blue for $30.

2 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

I'm the opposite. If you're going to celebrate you should be doing extra. I want those demos, acoustics, and remaster.

Anything less is useless. Isn't this album easily purchasable already?

25 minutes ago, Daiei said:

I'm the opposite. If you're going to celebrate you should be doing extra. I want those demos, acoustics, and remaster.

You really listen to those awful sounding bedroom demos on vinyl on side F instead of spotify? I really can't see myself to put these kinda songs ever on the table. And these are making the deluxe 70 dollars filled with totally unwanted material and the band put zero effort in it, just milking the fans.  Put these songs on bandcamp for pay what you want.

Edited by xfactor675

3 hours ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Agreed. $30 for a single LP is lame. Especially when all they did was color the record. Same plates, same jacket, etc. It’s a simple repress. 

6 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

4 hours ago, Daiei said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not do both so fans can pick what they want? Recent Dirt reissue comes to mind.

Lol. Looks like I got banned from r/vinylreleases for daring to post the amazon link for this. What a shitshow.

@DarrenMcCall any input?

Ha! Got a message I'm permanently banned from participating there. Guess you didn't like me asking why I got banned.

Hahaha, I've now been banned from r/vinyldeals.

My guy, if it's you doing it that's some weak shit. If it is one of the other mods you should rein in your kids. I didn't break any rules and contributed to the sub. Typical reddit mods.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

57 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Lol. Looks like I got banned from r/vinylreleases for daring to post the amazon link for this. What a shitshow.

@DarrenMcCall any input?

Ha! Got a message I'm permanently banned from participating there. Guess you didn't like me asking why I got banned.

Hahaha, I've now been banned from r/vinyldeals.

My guy, if it's you doing it that's some weak shit. If it is one of the other mods you should rein in your kids. I didn't break any rules and contributed to the sub. Typical reddit mods.

Weird. I posted it on there and haven’t heard a thing. Sounds like typical mod behavior to me. 

Hey @TheGhostOfRandySavage I sent you a modmail a few minutes after the ban. You’ve broken multiple rules, continues to harass the mod team over and over again with false accusations. So, I banned you… 

Here’s the modmail you were sent:

“Deftones was already posted, and then reposted (I left the repost since it was the official store). The Amazon link was posted multiple times in both threads. We removed the third post for the same variant, because we don't want a new post for every store. This is typical for us to remove duplicate posts for the same variant.

> Is it going to show up again soon with an affiliate link from one of you?

Comments like this are unnecessary. I've addressed you multiple times about the mods in the past. You've now been permanently banned. If you don't like the sub, please go somewhere else.”

5 minutes ago, DarrenMcCall said:

Is it going to show up again soon with an affiliate link from one of you?

I mean, that's a valid question. 😂

That sub and its rules can roll dice.  Always assumed its par for the course for any other sub on reddit: moderated by middle-aged men with little-to-no control in their lives offline, obsessed over splitting hairs over community rules.  A tale as old as time... or at least, the internet.

But yeah, Randy – should've just waited for the album to go up on Wal-Mart's site, so you could spam affiliated links for it. 🥴 Lesson learned, I hope!