Ask me about my seven inches.

• 8 years later...

567148_1.jpg

Yup, it was me. I designed this shirt in 2005. I just found the art file and decided to put it up on TeePublic

It was the first t-shirt I designed to sell on our own. I'd been selling seven inches at a show, and made a sign that turned into a shirt. That year, we sold it at Comic Conventions, and during San Diego Comic-Con, a buyer from Hot Topic approached us. I was actually working at a Hot Topic store in our local mall, so I thought that was funny.

He wanted to test it out in certain markets, maybe order 100, or even 700 tops. After SDCC, he got in contact and upped his order to 7000. This was December 2005. Straight up, they ordered way too many way. In 2005, vinyl was still very niche, and they sold it at my store a bit. Nowhere near what vinyl is doing now. I'm amazed anyone could still find it at Hot Topic in 2007, mostly because they marked that shit down after it shipped. We still sold it for a few years until I stopped screen printing.

That was our first and last Hot Topic order. The buyer who ordered it left shortly after the sale. But it started us on a crazy, decade long bout of self-employment and weird projects. It's weird how a dumb shirt idea became a way to pave our own path.

Edited by overdue

13 hours ago, overdue said:

567148_1.jpg

Yup, it was me. I designed this shirt in 2005. I just found the art file and decided to put it up on TeePublic

It was the first t-shirt I designed to sell on our own. I'd been selling seven inches at a show, and made a sign that turned into a shirt. That year, we sold it at Comic Conventions, and during San Diego Comic-Con, a buyer from Hot Topic approached us. I was actually working at a Hot Topic store in our local mall, so I thought that was funny.

He wanted to test it out in certain markets, maybe order 100, or even 700 tops. After SDCC, he got in contact and upped his order to 7000. This was December 2005. Straight up, they ordered way too many way. In 2005, vinyl was still very niche, and they sold it at my store a bit. Nowhere near what vinyl is doing now. I'm amazed anyone could still find it at Hot Topic in 2007, mostly because they marked that shit down after it shipped. We still sold it for a few years until I stopped screen printing.

That was our first and last Hot Topic order. The buyer who ordered it left shortly after the sale. But it started us on a crazy, decade long bout of self-employment and weird projects. It's weird how a dumb shirt idea became a way to pave our own path.

Cool story bro.

i really mean it. What an interesting bump to such an old thread. I'm sorry if that sounded sarcastic. Congrats, and I wish you more success going forward!

15 minutes ago, steventangent said:

Cool story bro.

i really mean it. What an interesting bump to such an old thread. I'm sorry if that sounded sarcastic. Congrats, and I wish you more success going forward!

Just sub out "bro" with anything else and you wouldn't have sounded sarcastic.

5 hours ago, steventangent said:

Cool story bro.

Yeah, didn't even realize the thread existed until last night, when I googled the shirt, because I hadn't in a long time. It was a pleasant surprise that this popped up, especially from Scott since I was reading a lot of AP at that time.

Also:

1256405.gif?b64lines=UkVBTExZLCBJIE1FQU4