post your set-up thread

I found them when I did a search they do look like they're in really good condition. Glen Ellyn might be a bit quicker than an hour but at $125 thats really not a terrible price, then all I'd need would be an amp and the TT. Although I'm set on the Carbon through Musician's Friend thanks to you. 15% takes it down to $339 and I noticed that Ebates has musician's friend listed with a 4% cash back so that's another $13 - $14 I'd get back, so really it'd be like $325 for a new Carbon.

I'm constantly scanning through CL trying to find something that jumps out, I see things everyday but then I'm like is that too much since most of its vintage amps and speakers so then I just worry that it'll just break down on me. Although there have been a few Sansui amps with speakers for not a lot (ie like $40 - $80) that I've been tempted to get just to have something to start with. I just wish it wasn't so much of a guessing game since everything is in the hands of the listener when it comes to sound quality.

Edit: So talked everything over with my wife and she basically said quit pussyfooting around and just buy what you want. You obviously know what you want so get it. So I guess the next time the marantz is up for that cheap I'm buying that along with the carbon and the 10.1s although I might get those sooner rather than later.

My listening equipment is modest but as follows:

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 with a simple Bias 2 cartridge (hated the Goldring 2100).
Pre Amp: Cambridge Audio 640p.
Minidisc: Sony JB930.
CD/DVD: Denon DVP-1940.
Amplifier: Onkyo TX-SR506.
Stereo Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (Rosewood).
Subwoofer: Epos ELS-Sub.
Centre: Tangent
Rear Left and Right: JPW Millenium 510.
Portable Minidisc: MZ-RH1.
Headphones: AKG K 451 and and old pair of trusty Beyerdynamic DT-231s.

I probably have the worse set-up out of this thread, a Pyle PLTTB1 Turntable going into a Pyle PP999 Phono Turntable Pre-Amp that goes into my 5.1 surround sound system in my bed room. It sounds awesome to me but I'm thinking of getting a Audio Technica next.

My girlfriend listens to music through the speakers on her off-brand LCD TV.  You got her beat.

I finished my upstairs setup and have been breaking it in this week.  It sounds fantastic:

Pro-ject Carbon with 2M Red and Music Hall Cork Mat

Kenwood KX-49C tape deck

JVC XL-V112 Cd player

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amplifier

Pioneer CS-905 Speakers

The rack:

P1000976.jpg

top: Yamaha A-S500

bottom: My Cd player and tape deck.  Both were scored at goodwill for 10 bucks each!

P1000977.jpg

One of my CS-905s with the cover off.

P1000978.jpg

The media with some "now playing" stands:

I've been on a screamo binge lately.

P1000979.jpg

I call this a modern setup even though 3/5 of the components are over 20 years old, simply because it has a modern sound.  The a-s500 is an extremely bright and detailed amp so I picked out some mid 80s pioneer speakers that are plenty warm and also have the added bonus of a HUGE soundstage.  I know the CS-905s are usually thought of as a "party" speaker, but I find the sound quality fantastic for the type of music I listen to (punk/hardcore/metal), the drums sound especially realistic without being harsh.  Plus I tested these puppies against some vintage pairs of infinity, klipsch and KLH, and the Pioneers won out every time.

Where'd you get the now playing stands? Been looking for something like that. 

I finished my upstairs setup and have been breaking it in this week.  It sounds fantastic:

Pro-ject Carbon with 2M Red and Music Hall Cork Mat

Kenwood KX-49C tape deck

JVC XL-V112 Cd player

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amplifier

Pioneer CS-905 Speakers

The rack:

P1000976.jpg

top: Yamaha A-S500

bottom: My Cd player and tape deck.  Both were scored at goodwill for 10 bucks each!

P1000977.jpg

One of my CS-905s with the cover off.

P1000978.jpg

The media with some "now playing" stands:

I've been on a screamo binge lately.

P1000979.jpg

I call this a modern setup even though 3/5 of the components are over 20 years old, simply because it has a modern sound.  The a-s500 is an extremely bright and detailed amp so I picked out some mid 80s pioneer speakers that are plenty warm and also have the added bonus of a HUGE soundstage.  I know the CS-905s are usually thought of as a "party" speaker, but I find the sound quality fantastic for the type of music I listen to (punk/hardcore/metal), the drums sound especially realistic without being harsh.  Plus I tested these puppies against some vintage pairs of infinity, klipsch and KLH, and the Pioneers won out every time.

nice touch on the lion stopper and tsl record.

also, the record on the right is hot cross no?

Just moved to a new apartment, so here is my set-up. 

Speakers: 

2v0izic.jpg

Gear: 

2mhikcg.jpg

Just hung up these posters:

2ywsoer.jpg

A bit more record storage under the TV:

dcadjp.jpg

I LOVE how versatile these Expedits are. Still need to hang some fabric on the back of the TV stand Expedit to hide the wires better. Also need to hang pictures on the wall behind the TV, but other than that the living room is starting to feel like home. 

Good eye -- those are 1.6's. And thanks.

I guess I should've listed my gear while I'm at it. I just got into vinyl in April (decided to dust off the 1200's and go in to get some RSD stuff -- been hooked ever since). I've been only into digital listening through headphones before that. 

Turntable: Technics 1200mk2

Cart: Shure M97xe

Pre-Amp: Emotiva USP-1

Power amp: Emotiva XPA-2

Headphone amp: Eddie Current Super 7

DAC: Matrix X-Sabre

Speakers: Magnepan 1.6QR

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors

I think next up for me is a cart upgrade and maybe tonearm (or new turntable altogether). I don't really have any complaints about the set up right now though, and have been gladly pouring my money into vinyl. 

XIkRGuk.jpg

Dealing with limited space until me and my fiancee get married but this is it for right now. expedit shelf with an audio technica at-lp120 and a pair of sony bookshelf speakers with a sherwood receiver. Should i look into upgrading my speakers, getting a preamp, or getting a new receiver next?