post your set-up thread

XIkRGuk.jpg

Dealing with limited space until me and my fiancee get married but this is it for right now. expedit shelf with an audio technica at-lp120 and a pair of sony bookshelf speakers with a sherwood receiver. Should i look into upgrading my speakers, getting a preamp, or getting a new receiver next?

Personally I'd upgrade the turntable first.

Why is your one speaker on the Pro-Ject?

Just for more space. In case I want to set my laptop down and record the vinyl digitally.

Also isn't it a bad idea to have the speakers directly next to the TT?

Technically for most yes but like ticotico mentioned they are small speakers + I live in an apartment so I don't blast them. Before set up I took a cup of water, placed it on the turntable and cranked the speakers to see any vibrations. The threshold before noticeable vibration in my case is 3/4 up. I have to give credit to the foam underneath both the speakers and the turntable.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel ya. I just have recently upgraded.

Despite what everyone says... I always kind of liked mine.

I bought it before finding this forum haha...should have made some research first. But it was all I could afford at the moment anyways, and it's doing it's job pretty well. I'll probably upgrade as well when the time comes!  :D

You are correct. It is currently not in use, though. My Yamaha cr-640 is currently my main rig. I really love it's natural sound. I also have a MCS that I'm restoring. The Sony may be for sale soon.

People don't realize that Sony made some terrific gear in the 60s and 70s.  I've got a 6065 and I love it ... although it has currently been moved to my 2nd system in favor of my Luxman L-80V.  Eventually I'll buy a new, modern amp + preamp, move the Luxman to the 2nd system and most likely sell the Sony.  But whoever gets it will be very happy with its performance.  I would pick that Sony over comparable entries from Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, etc etc.