post your set-up thread

Next step on the upgrade path? Probably an upgrade to my Pro-Ject table. I hope to get a 2m blue stylus on there in the coming weeks, as well as an acrylic platter. But I'm saving up all income after that for a VPI Scout (hopefully that will happen this winter).

I would upgrade the speakers before the turntable.  You can do a lot better.

Do you actually have it set up that way?  First order of business should be to upgrade your speaker placement.

space is really tough, i know speakers and turntable on the same shelf is a big no.

but it's already cramped and short of putting in a new shelf (which wouldn't hold, the walls are shit) i don't have any other options.

Than L80Ts?  Have you researched that speaker at all?  It's the home version of the 4410 studio monitor.  I doubt you'll find anything that can touch them for less than 2 grand new.

Speaker design has improved exponentially over the past decade or two.  You'd be surprised what you can get for under $2k these days.  

My ears tell me otherwise.  I went to hear some Sonus Faber Veneer 3.0 last week and didn't consider them to sound substantially better than my JBLs.  I paired my JBLs directly against B&W CM9s a few months back and the CM9s fell flat.

Keep in mind these are not the 70s "rocker" JBLs like the L100/4311.  These were designed with computer modeling and made use of a then state of the art titanium tweeter.

Newer does not always = better.  Technology may have improved but things are still designed to a price point.  This is why a 40 year old turntable like the Thorens TD-124 can outperform any of the sub 1500 tables on the market today.   I might upgrade to some KEF, Dynaudio, or B&W 8 series at some point in the future, but anything in my price range currently will be a lateral move from my L80Ts, I'm fairly confident of that.

If you don't believe me you're welcome to come listen to them any time.  I just finished listening to them with my 45rpm repress of Buzz Brass's "The Planets"  (a longstanding audiophile reference recording) and they performed marvelously.

Figured I might as well join the thread and share my current setup. Sorry for the shitty picture it's from my camera phone.

kDA2OGW.jpg

Here's the breakdown of each component and a few details about each one:

Marantz 2245 - Restored and recapped + LED conversion for display

VPI HW-19 - Upgraded VPI isolation kit for sub-chassis suspension, upgraded folded stainless steel sub-chassis w/custom acrylic top plate, Rega RB300 tonearm rewired w/silver wiring, custom cartridge plugs + custom RCA adapters, Shelter 201 MM cartridge

Musical Fidelity V-LPS II phono preamp - Currently stock but will be upgrading caps and whatnot soon...

Pyramid PS3KX regulated power supply - Upgraded to this from stock "wall wart" power supply that came with the V-LPS II. Soldered a Nichicon 10,000 uF / 16V cap to the outputs which cleans up the sound even further than just adding the PSU by itself. (Picture of my mod here: http://i.imgur.com/ttbcMsy.jpg)

Bowers & Wilkins DM 600S3 bookshelf speakers w/B&W metal stands

Morrow Audio SP3 speaker cables w/Banana plugs + bare ends (receiver end)

Currently spinning:

Tristeza - Paisajes LP (Note: Yes, I always remove the turntable cover before playing records but I was lazy for the purpose of this picture. Sorry  :P )

Currently the only "weak link" is the basic RCA cables I have running from the V-LPS II to the Marantz receiver. I plan on assembling my own solid silver interconnects in the next couple weeks. I'll also make a custom RCA to 3.5mm headphone adapter and likely an upgraded 3.5mm power cable for the V-LPS II at the same time. Depending on how well it goes, I may decide to offer these types of custom built cables to other VC members.

Everything sounds quite fantastic on this setup though it took some time and patience to assemble. I'm extremely pleased with it and don't plan on upgrading anything further besides the aforementioned components any time soon.

Hey I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is a good deal,

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/4514111355.html

-Marantz TT 4000 turntable
-Pioneer VSX-520 stereo receiver and remote
-Paradigm Titan speakers
-Realistic phono preamplifer
-All necessary cables

for $215

With my limited table/set up knowledge it seems really really good, any red flags or not good enough parts to this?

Thank!