post your set-up thread

I just happened to get around to cleaning my copy of Sigur Ros "Hvarf" I have that is on translucent green vinyl. It looked so mesmerizing, I had to take a picture before spinning it. Listening to it as I post this! Its a Bunnahabhain 18 year kinda night...pouring a glass and taking one for the team ;)

14487924077_611987178c_b.jpg

What type of record cleaner is that. Looks gorgeous!

How good of a deal? Fill me in on the process of your setup. I only ask because $20k speakers with $5k components... I'm curious. Not that there's anything wrong with anything you own- I'm jealous of all your components!

The MC275 is $5k alone.  The C220 is about the same.  $20k speakers seems reasonable considering.  

How good of a deal? Fill me in on the process of your setup. I only ask because $20k speakers with $5k components... I'm curious. Not that there's anything wrong with anything you own- I'm jealous of all your components!

Also on the Rega: Arm? Cart?

I used to live in Ashland (southern oregon). About 30 miles north in a town called Grants Pass there was this incredibly out of place hifi shop that happened to be a new Mcintosh dealer. When he was trying to close the deal with me, he basically offered me BOGO on the speakers. I ended up paying 6500 for the set.

I would say i have 20k in my set up. 10k for the mac gear, 6500 for the speakers and 3500 in the P7 with a ClearAudio Maestro cartridge and a RB700 arm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can finally say I have a decent setup now! Haha. I know it doesn't really touch most of the stuff in here but I am extremely happy with it overall.

Turntable/integrated amp:

image_zpsad12ddc7.jpg

Speakers (and TV and PS3 lol):

image_zps79aac1e9.jpg

Close up of integrated:

image_zpsbbf46216.jpg

For anyone who may be wondering:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200mkII ($400 plus tax)

Integrated: Kenwood KA-7100 ($135)

Speakers: Yamaha NS-4s ($50)

So about $615 after all is said and done. I'd say I actually made out really well.

For anyone who may be wondering:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200mkII ($400 plus tax)

Integrated: Kenwood KA-7100 ($135)

Speakers: Yamaha NS-4s ($50)

So about $615 after all is said and done. I'd say I actually made out really well.

Nice kit, you might want to put the speakers on proper stands to get the best out of them though.

Nice kit, you might want to put the speakers on proper stands to get the best out of them though.

Thanks! Definitely want to do that as soon as possible, due to storage issues I'm probably gonna have to settle with isolation pads for a bit. I'll be getting my own place within the next year hopefully, so I'll get some stands then.

However, I'm noticing an issue with my SL-1200's RCA cables... I noticed I accidentally had the integrated on mono and both speakers were playing just fine, but when I switched to stereo my right speaker was very quiet and crackly. I went and wiggled the red cable a bit and got it to work in a certain position, so I think it's shorted. I'm gonna try to take it to the store I bought it at and have them check it out, since there's nothing I've done that I can think of that would have damaged the cable since I purchased it. Hoping it's a cheap, easy fix.

Swap it around red to white to make sure it is the cable and not the socket on the amp that just needs a clean.

If it is the cable though and you've only just bought it I would take it back as that's not good.

You can get replacement sets of cables on ebay but you will need to be able to solder to replace them unless your 1200 has the RCA jacks on the back then you can just replace the leads with whatever you want.

If you are replacing them though make sure you go for something better quality wise then it makes it worthwhile doing it.

Swap it around red to white to make sure it is the cable and not the socket on the amp that just needs a clean.

If it is the cable though and you've only just bought it I would take it back as that's not good.

You can get replacement sets of cables on ebay but you will need to be able to solder to replace them unless your 1200 has the RCA jacks on the back then you can just replace the leads with whatever you want.

If you are replacing them though make sure you go for something better quality wise then it makes it worthwhile doing it.

Good idea, the person I bought the amp from said he cleaned the amp thoroughly, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

If it's the cable I'm sure I could work something out with the owner of the record store, maybe he could repair the cable or install new ones for (hopefully) cheap. Whatever it is, I don't want to give up this 'table, I'm incredibly smitten by it, it's pretty much perfect for me right now.

Nice reel to reel, by the way. :)

Edit: Okay, so I'm almost 100% sure it's the cables after switching them around. :\

I called the store and turns out the owner is in NY until next week so I won't know exactly what's gonna happen until then. Hoping he'll help me out at little cost since the table was so costly (for me) to begin with. We shall see.