post your set-up thread

It seems that a lot of people with Crosley's or similarly shitty record players have a "oh, I'm sorry I don't have $1000 to spend on a record player" attitude. bhoussock proves that with smaller budget you can still get some nice gear.

Yes it only takes research, patience and a little effort and with the available knowledge on the internet today there is no excuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Just moved into my new Seattle apartment. Wish I had time to hang all my screen prints and decorate more, but here is my current set-up:

Most of my equipment is listed in my signature.

For anyone wondering, the TV is 55".

Plenty of space there for some speaker stands. No excuses. Make it happen.

I have a yellow Pro-Ject Debut Carbon,  with an acrylic platter and an Ortofon 2m Red.  My amp is a Yamaha AX-596.  My speakers are Pioneer HPM-100's. 

My amp is what's lacking in my set-up,  not to mention none of the sound level's work.  I bought this amp awhile back just to get my old turntable going when I was first getting into vinyl.  I picked this amp solely because it was cheap,  and it had phono built in.  Though it's not the worst amp in the world,  I'm due for an upgrade. 

Does anybody else have the HPM-100's?  I got a deal that I couldn't pass up on these speakers.  I absolutely love them.  Anybody else have any thoughts on them ?  From what I've read they're loved, or hated..

I have a yellow Pro-Ject Debut Carbon,  with an acrylic platter and an Ortofon 2m Red.  My amp is a Yamaha AX-596.  My speakers are Pioneer HPM-100's. 

My amp is what's lacking in my set-up,  not to mention none of the sound level's work.  I bought this amp awhile back just to get my old turntable going when I was first getting into vinyl.  I picked this amp solely because it was cheap,  and it had phono built in.  Though it's not the worst amp in the world,  I'm due for an upgrade. 

Does anybody else have the HPM-100's?  I got a deal that I couldn't pass up on these speakers.  I absolutely love them.  Anybody else have any thoughts on them ?  From what I've read they're loved, or hated..

I had a pair for about 6 months.  They need a big room and really only sounded good to me with classic rock.  Classical and more modern recordings sounded pretty flat to my ears, but I'm just picky.  They're great speakers for the money and they can definitely stand up with a better amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some changes. Current set-up:

PhotoNov13122022AM_zps405d81db.jpg

Linn LP12 w/ Ittok II & Dynavector 20x2-H

Rega Brio-R

Rega RS3s

Also pictured:

a TV and a booray player and a cable box.

A QNAP TS-212

caaaaaaables

Apart from the Dynavector that's a very British system for someone your side of the Atlantic, it wouldn't look out place in Hampstead or Chelsea and I had to look at the mains socket to make sure it wasn't

Not the prettiest setup, but here is mine.

P1090723.jpg

P1090727.jpg

RP40.jpg

rp40-1.jpg

P1090729.jpg

Rega RP40 with TTPSU & Denon 1930CI SACD/DVD-A Player into a Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver and out bi-amped JBL L830 bookshelf speakers. I run computer audio using Foobar with ASIO into a Ibasso D6 with dual WM8740s 24bit-96kHz DACs.

LPs are stored in a Walmart brand "Expedit." The turntable is mounted on a wallshelf that is screwed into a stud and hovers slightly above some LP crates (which hold about 300 CDs)

Got a good deal on it a while back. $200. Plus it has a built in phono preamp and 120 Watts per channel. Very few amps that contain phono stages also have digital inputs (coax or otherwise) for that price. I needed the digital for the DVD audio from the Denon and hooking up the TV.

Gotcha. $200 is a pretty solid price. Though regarding the Denon DVD player and your TV, I'm pretty sure they both output an analog signal as well, so you could get away with not having a digital input on your amp.

I'm also curious why you mounted your shelf so low. Having it up at chest height would really be ideal for use.

Mostly because I am nearly 7 feet tall, so the shelf would be at ~5ft, or dead center in the middle of the wall. It would have looked somewhat silly.

Gotcha. $200 is a pretty solid price. Though regarding the Denon DVD player and your TV, I'm pretty sure they both output an analog signal as well, so you could get away with not having a digital input on your amp.

Yeah, I wanted the digital inputs on the receiver so I could bypass the DAC in the Denon and use the higher quality DAC in the Yamaha receiver. Plus, I don't think my TV has analog outs. I use an optic cable to run to the amp. Really though, I needed a receiver with a phono preamp built in when I went to buy the Yamaha. The price was right, the power per channel was great (120wpc), I could by-amp, and also attach all sorts of digital inputs. The only thing that was comparable at the time was a Harmon Kardon amp, but it was like 3-4x the price.