post your set-up thread

My poor man setup for my itty bitty room until I move and I can get larger/better speakers.

Sansui SR-929 Turntable

Kenwood KA-92B Receiver

Kenwood KT-52B Tuner

Pioneer SHF31LR 2-Way Bookshelf speakers

You will likely get better results if you get those speakers away from the shelf.

My space is so compact that I don't really have anywhere to really set them. I'll probably figure something else out soon, though.

I only mention it because that type of placement is usually pretty bad.  vibrations from the speakers are likely to translate into unecessary distortion in the turntable.

I know it's bad... but just how bad is my turntable? Is it going to ruin my records? I only listen to 1 or 2 a month, so it's not like they're in heavy rotation...

Brookstone USB

Belt drive semi-automatic

DC EG servo motor

Wow & Flutter: less than 0.25% WRMS

Platter: 300mm

Cartridge: Moving Magnetic

Stylus: Bonded Diamond, 0.6mil

Optimum tracking force: 2.5-3.5 grams

Output: 170mV-340mV

Frequency response: 50-20000Hz

Crosstalk: 16dB (1KHz)

I know it's bad... but just how bad is my turntable? Is it going to ruin my records? I only listen to 1 or 2 a month, so it's not like they're in heavy rotation...

Brookstone USB

Belt drive semi-automatic

DC EG servo motor

Wow & Flutter: less than 0.25% WRMS

Platter: 300mm

Cartridge: Moving Magnetic

Stylus: Bonded Diamond, 0.6mil

Optimum tracking force: 2.5-3.5 grams

Output: 170mV-340mV

Frequency response: 50-20000Hz

Crosstalk: 16dB (1KHz)

The simple answer is yes it's cack but the longer answer is:

Well it's not a Crosley and there are worse but the letters USB usually sound a big alarm bell. with these things the design is usually poor as is the quality control which can mean your lucky and have a good one or unlucky and have a complete record wrecking pile of poo and you won't really know until you try and play your records on a proper turntable.

On the plus side it's got an alloy platter, a metal arm tube and what looks like a standard AT magnetic cartridge copy but on the downside the arm looks to be pretty poor quality, it looks like you can't adjust much if anything on the arm and you can't put a different cart in it, it quotes 2.5 to 3.5g tracking force which seems high as I would expect more like 1.5 to 2.5g so either it's not an AT or it needs to be that high to try and track properly.

For the little you are using it I wouldn't worry too much but if it does concern you get a tracking force gauge and an alignment gauge or even a hifi setup/test record and see how far out the thing is. Also obviously think about replacing it with something a little better if it is worrying you.

The biggest concern with these things and the reasons people worry about premature wear with them are all to do with the way the arm tracks, be that too light or too heavy causing premature wear or that the bearings are so poor that the stylus is pulled hard up against one of the groove walls wearing it's own groove as it goes and getting progressively worse as it moves into the centre of the record.

All the rules that apply to any turntable apply to that one so the means to check it are all out there and quite a lot if it is free like alignment gauges and understanding what you are looking at when it is running.

How do you feel the Schiit Asgard does with powering your DT990 Pros? I'm quite curious about that specific pairing. Thanks in advance.

I think they pair exceptionally well.

Plenty of space there for some speaker stands. No excuses. Make it happen.

I have speaker stands. The wall is only so big so if my speaker stands are there, it blocks part of my expedit. :/

The speakers have been pulled further from the wall and tilted in though.

The simple answer is yes it's cack but the longer answer is:

Well it's not a Crosley and there are worse but the letters USB usually sound a big alarm bell. with these things the design is usually poor as is the quality control which can mean your lucky and have a good one or unlucky and have a complete record wrecking pile of poo and you won't really know until you try and play your records on a proper turntable.

On the plus side it's got an alloy platter, a metal arm tube and what looks like a standard AT magnetic cartridge copy but on the downside the arm looks to be pretty poor quality, it looks like you can't adjust much if anything on the arm and you can't put a different cart in it, it quotes 2.5 to 3.5g tracking force which seems high as I would expect more like 1.5 to 2.5g so either it's not an AT or it needs to be that high to try and track properly.

For the little you are using it I wouldn't worry too much but if it does concern you get a tracking force gauge and an alignment gauge or even a hifi setup/test record and see how far out the thing is. Also obviously think about replacing it with something a little better if it is worrying you.

The biggest concern with these things and the reasons people worry about premature wear with them are all to do with the way the arm tracks, be that too light or too heavy causing premature wear or that the bearings are so poor that the stylus is pulled hard up against one of the groove walls wearing it's own groove as it goes and getting progressively worse as it moves into the centre of the record.

All the rules that apply to any turntable apply to that one so the means to check it are all out there and quite a lot if it is free like alignment gauges and understanding what you are looking at when it is running.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for!