post your set-up thread

Not trying to be a prick but your stylus works on vibrations and when you turn your amp up it's going to add unwanted vibrations regardless of how good the isolation feet on your turntable are.

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind comments when they're actually helpful. I keep the volume under control and the Technics has very good isolation, I haven't found it to be much of a problem with the way I use this setup.

this is me, nothing fancy...

Nice, your SL-1300 seems to be in good condition. What kind of cart are you running?

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind comments when they're actually helpful. I keep the volume under control and the Technics has very good isolation, I haven't found it to be much of a problem with the way I use this setup.

We just serviced the exact same receiver you have and I was demoing it today. It gets quite warm, especially around the power transformer, and needs proper ventilation. 

EDIT: sorry, ours is a GX90ES but my comment still applies to your receiver.

EDIT: sorry, ours is a GX90ES but my comment still applies to your receiver.

The GX90ES has a power output of 120wpc, compared to the 80wpc output of the GX909ES which generates much less heat. Furthermore, the 909ES uses Sony's Optical Legato system (which i'm sure you are familiar with) and to take advantage of that I keep the output below 50%, which is more than enough for the size of this room. Maybe if I left it on for a few hours the heat would become a problem, I only use it for the turntable and the longest it's ever on is ~45 minutes. Thanks for the concern.

The GX90ES has a power output of 120wpc, compared to the 80wpc output of the GX909ES which generates much less heat. Furthermore, the 909ES uses Sony's Optical Legato system (which i'm sure you are familiar with) and to take advantage of that I keep the output below 50%, which is more than enough for the size of this room. Maybe if I left it on for a few hours the heat would become a problem, I only use it for the turntable and the longest it's ever on is ~45 minutes. Thanks for the concern.

How are you measuring output? Sony's Optical Legato system operates the amp in Class A mode at lower ouput. You realize Class A means it's always on, always producing heat, therefore even more important to have proper ventilation.

If you could see how many dried up capacitors our technicians replaces in a day, you may change your mind. Heat needs to leave the amplifier. But I'm not going to tell you what to do with your gear. Just trying to help...

How are you measuring output? Sony's Optical Legato system operates the amp in Class A mode at lower ouput. You realize Class A means it's always on, always producing heat, therefore even more important to have proper ventilation.

If you could see how many dried up capacitors our technicians replaces in a day, you may change your mind. Heat needs to leave the amplifier. But I'm not going to tell you what to do with your gear. Just trying to help...

Correct, but only at low output, relative to about ~40% i'd say. To that extent, even operating at Class A it dosen't produce a massive amount of heat and the clearance between the two is more than enough to dissipate any heat built up. I've been using this setup in this exact configuration on a regular basis for 3 years without issue.

I bet that GX90ES was a nice bit of kit though, you don't see too many of those floating around.

My buddy didn't change the oil in his first car for five years. It was fine then all of a sudden it wasn't... ;)

Yeah, the GX90ES is really nice. My first introduction to the Sony ES gear was a TA-E80ES pre and TA-N55ES amp. The pre stays in the shop for testing and the amp is in my setup now. 

Yeah, the N55ES has the same transformer as the N80ES. I'm on the lookout for another N55ES to run them in mono.

No pictures of my complete setup (too messy) but I've included a picture of my turntable.

This is my setup: Luxman PD444 w/Luxman TA-1 & Ortofon Quintet Black, Luxman TA-1 & Ortofon Vivo Blue > Pro-Ject Tube Box DS > Cambridge Audio 651A (as a preamp) > Sony TA-N55ES > Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8.

2015-04-02%2023.08.35.jpg

I'm with heypeterman on this one as electrolytic caps and especially those larger ones in the psu and output stages are buggers for drying out due to continued overheat

Yeah, the N55ES has the same transformer as the N80ES. I'm on the lookout for another N55ES to run them in mono.

No pictures of my complete setup (too messy) but I've included a picture of my turntable.

This is my setup: Luxman PD444 w/Luxman TA-1 & Ortofon Quintet Black, Luxman TA-1 & Ortofon Vivo Blue > Pro-Ject Tube Box DS > Cambridge Audio 651A (as a preamp) > Sony TA-N55ES > Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8.

2015-04-02%2023.08.35.jpg

Liking the Luxman, ever thought of mounting a 12" tonearm on it?

I'm with heypeterman on this one as electrolytic caps and especially those larger ones in the psu and output stages are buggers for drying out due to continued overheat

Don't know what more I can say about it, other than I don't think it will be a problem. If that happens i'll just re-cap it, I recently did a big repair on a CRT monitor for a friend that involved re-capping the video board, now that was a pain.

I suspect i'll upgrade from the reciever to a component system before it ever becomes a problem.

This is my setup: Luxman PD444 w/Luxman TA-1

That Luxman turntable is gorgeous. Never seen one quite like that before.

Don't know what more I can say about it, other than I don't think it will be a problem. If that happens i'll just re-cap it, I recently did a big repair on a CRT monitor for a friend that involved re-capping the video board, now that was a pain.

I suspect i'll upgrade from the reciever to a component system before it ever becomes a problem.

Don't panic I'm not really criticising, you've got nice equipment there and I'm fussy about the basics so I like to see things properly positioned and connected.

DSC_0417_zpsltmxgfvt.jpg

My set up:

-Project Debur Carbon DC turntable with Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge

-Project Phono Box

-Marantz PM5005 integrated amplifier

-Boston Acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers

-Kimber cables

A budget set up, but I'm happy with that. Sounds good to me

Get that power strip off that bed.

That Luxman turntable is gorgeous. Never seen one quite like that before.

Ok, one last thing about the turntable on the amp: not only will the heat cause premature failure, the sound will degrade as time passes.

I recently replaced my wireless router. I read that keeping it off the ground and dust free would prolong its life. I put it on the ground in the same dusty spot. I don't care about the router the same way I care about my audio gear. But that's my choice and we all get to choose how we handle our stuff.

I had never seen the Luxman PD444 until someone came in to sell it to us. The guy swatted my hand when I went to touch the dust cover. He always cleaned it in the shower. I take care of my stuff but not quite to that extent.

Oh, I've had plenty of thoughts about it. ;) I'm actually pretty happy with the two Luxman tonearms after buying the Mint LP protractor. Things didn't seem quite right until I finally nailed the alignment.

The basics matter especially with turntables and more so the higher up the food chain you get.

You've got the room on that Luxman so give a 12" a go. I made a 12" tonearm from an old ADC arm I had, being a straight arm with an angled headshell it was so easy to do and it's amazing how well it tracks, I rewired it with Cardas wire so I can't say the change in length is the only reason why it sounds so good but the increase in track-ability has to help

Hello all,

New member to the forum but been a vinyl enthusiast for some time.  My setup is the following:

Pro-Ject Debut III with Ortolan OM5E (soon to be upgraded to OM20)

Bellari VP130 Tube Preamp

DBX 3BX-DS Dynamic Range Expander

Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver

Boston Acoustics CR-8 Speakers

Love the sound that the DBX 3BX provides but am concerned about longevity as these are no longer made.  Love the punch it provides!  Am about to upgrade the CR-8's to Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's.  

IMG_1913_zpsfiujhxl4.jpg

IMG_1914_zpsyit5b71m.jpg

IMG_1915_zpst8lpk7eh.jpg

My room is a wreck right now, I'll upload a picture one day. 

JVC AL-AL58 (Audio-Technica AT92ECD cartridge) Turntable

Sony STR-DH500 Receiver

Pyle PP999 Pre-amp

Audio Technica ATH-M20x Headphones

RCA 40-5014 Bookshelf Speakers

Foremost Storage Cube (fits about 100 single LPs, perfect height; highly recommended.)