post your set-up thread

Some heavy stuff does. Sometimes you just have to test it out but most people just use LAME V0 or 320. I like AAC with an encoder set to highest that can do true VBR because it can go higher than 320 and lower for silence and less complex parts. iTunes VBR is constrained so even for lower parts it will stay close to the bitrate you set which is stupid.

Some heavy stuff does. Sometimes you just have to test it out but most people just use LAME V0 or 320. I like AAC with an encoder set to highest that can do true VBR because it can go higher than 320 and lower for silence and less complex parts. iTunes VBR is constrained so even for lower parts it will stay close to the bitrate you set which is stupid.

Alright, thanks!

Do you keep all your songs on the iBasso in FLAC or only certain things? If the latter, how do you decide what's FLAC worthy?

80% of what is on my dx50 is FLAC. And I have a lot of FLAC on my computer, but only get my absolute favorite artists on FLAC. The rest of my collection is 320.

I think I have about 18,000 mp3s and 5,000 FLAC (variable bit rates - 16 or 24).  I think the FLAC takes up more space than the 320s. Haha. You're not going to hear a lot of difference between 320, and FLAC unless you have good equipment for it (amp, DAC, nice headphones). It's an awesome experience when you get a FLAC copy of an album you've been listening to forever, and think you know every note, then hear a FLAC copy with good equipment, and hear notes you've never heard before.

For starters acoustic and music with lots of snares, echo and decay, and distortion. These are things mp3 can ruin but things are a lot better these days so its harder to tell.

^ This is also true.

When you said mp3 10 years ago it was probably 128kbps if you were lucky, but now that 320 is becoming the norm., they really aren't as bad. We just need to be cautious of remasters, cause we don't want to lose the loudness war.

What's the rest of your setup? From the pics it seems to be seriously lacking compared to everything else but I can't really tell.

Speakers are Genelec 6010A and 5040A Sub... project phonobox s ... project speed controller and rekokut switch box... am needing an EQ but will try the Genelec Eq software first and see how that goes :)

Ok.  I'm going to post an update to my current system and the system I will likely have for awhile.

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Speakers: Salk HT3s

Turntable: VPI Prime w/Ortofon 2m black

Pre-amp: Audio Research SP14

Power Amp: Audio by Van Alstine 600r 

DAC: Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2

Interconnects: Blue Jean Speaker & RCA, Ortofon Tonearm Cable - 6NX-TSW

Other: Apple TV for easy steaming from iTunes 

Nothing super special, just wanted to post my set up for the first time now that I have it all arranged in a proper manner. There's another KLH hiding just to the right of the desk.Trying hard to fill up some of those hollow spaces, but one man can only afford so many records in a certain amount of time :)

0609151456_zpstct12gqy.jpg

Hey so I've finally built a basic setup which I'm confident is not going to destroy my records and is giving me lots of nuance in my music I've never heard before, in a sense the magic of hearing the flaws, side by side with the delicate textures of my new and tiny collection, is kind of a thrill in that it gives me something to work on and with each step up I hear the quality rise and my music comes alive more and more. So here is the setup

Pro-ject debut carbon (stock model)

Ortofon 2m red

Technics sa120 stereo receiver

Dayton audio b 652 bookshelf speakers

I know this leaves a lot to be desired but it's working for now. I plan on attempting to diy a preamp. I have no circuitry experience so any advice for how to begin would be neat as pie, I've done some research but I have no clue, and don't know if this is even feasible but I'm confident I can learn, and discover how to truly build an audiophile experience piece by piece.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I know there is a long road ahead but budget is tight, and I also have to get my vinyl collection somene income as well. The journey is the goal.

I have no circuitry experience so any advice for how to begin would be neat as pie, I've done some research but I have no clue, and don't know if this is even feasible but I'm confident I can learn, and discover how to truly build an audiophile experience piece by piece.

With no circuitry experience that might take you some time. Do you have any electrical/electronic knowledge at all?

If you are going to do it by just sticking pre made bits together then just do a lot more research, learn to solder, be prepared for the risk of death and if it makes smoke that's bad. But if you intend to actually build a pre amp from scratch and do it properly then be prepared for a lot of reading, learning, maths, experimentation, more maths, fully understanding Ohms law, failure and finally again if it makes smoke that's bad.