post your set-up thread

On 4 maj 2016 at 9:37 PM, Tardcore said:

those are stand mount speakers.  You'll want to mount them on speaker stands.  The specs will likely give you some guidelines on positioning, but the rule of thumb is that the tweeter should be at roughly ear height from your listening position.  those are large speakers, you'll likely end up needing stands that are a bit shorter than average if your listening from couch-height.

I found these at the same place where I bought the speakers, the shortest ones were 55 cm high but they would interfer with the rest of the room unfortunately:

2wJ1ad0.jpg

So my question is; would you think I would lose too much quality if I created some home made solution that would raise the speakers maybe 20 cm off the floor instead?

I finally got something besides a Numark!

ProJect Essential II Digital.  Yes analogue is cool, but 24bit 96khz optical out is a wonder to behold.

Now if only I could get my 8 year old Mac Mini to quit flipping to 48khz when I plug in the turntable I could do some proper rips.*

Either way, quite pleased with the sound.  Now to re-rip all of my records I still give a crap about.

*Currently relegated to optical into my Onkyo receiver or analogue via rca-to-1/8" in to my mac.

Just got back into vinyl a couple of months ago after 30 year absence. Finally got fed up with the compressed sound of digital, so on the advice of my son, I rediscovered the joy of LPs once again. Could not be happier. System is: Uturn Orbit with acrylic platter, Tannoy System 800 speakers with a Yamaha RX-V377 amp.

CABINET%2B1c.jpg

8 hours ago, philtex said:

Just got back into vinyl a couple of months ago after 30 year absence. Finally got fed up with the compressed sound of digital, so on the advice of my son, I rediscovered the joy of LPs once again. Could not be happier. System is: Uturn Orbit with acrylic platter, Tannoy System 800 speakers with a Yamaha RX-V377 amp.

CABINET%2B1c.jpg

Extra points for the Pee Wee Herman Doll.

1 hour ago, ajxd said:

Welcome back! I would look into proper height placement for your Tannoy's.They seem a bit high.

Thanks- yeah my son said the same thing about the height. I have a bit of a space problem with the width of that wall, so for now it may be my only option to maintain easy access to the turntable. The speakers currently overlap a bit above the edges of the cabinet, and placement probably needs to be a little wider as well. (but with my 1950s cabinet, its a nice start)

5 hours ago, philtex said:

Thanks- yeah my son said the same thing about the height. I have a bit of a space problem with the width of that wall, so for now it may be my only option to maintain easy access to the turntable. The speakers currently overlap a bit above the edges of the cabinet, and placement probably needs to be a little wider as well. (but with my 1950s cabinet, its a nice start)

maybe you could angle them down so they point at your listening position? they wont work that well from most over positions but they'll sound better where you normally listen from.

Updated my system with some new speakers and an integrated amp.

- Project 1.2 (w/ Ortofon OM10)

- Project Phono Box

- Rotel RA-935BXII Intergrated Amplifier

- Mission 780SE Bookshelf speakers

- Belden interconnects and some pretty standard speaker cables

I have an Ortofon 2M Blue which is getting fitted this week.

lE5RXJn.jpg

XVQdGi4.jpg