post your set-up thread

My First Vinyl Record player setup:

1. Audio Technica LP-120

atechnica-10.jpg

2. Bose Lifestyle System 8 - Receiver, Base Box and Speakers. (It's old, but its BOSE and it was free so it will do for practice)

1. bose-lifestyle-8-series-ii-5-1-channel-h

Now I'm aware certain questions have probably been asked a billion times but ..How good is a phono stage or box? 

By installing a phono stage between the receiver and the turn table, and being able to change the setting back to phono, bypassing the internal Pre-Amp while on line setting, will it be a worthwhile spend, or are phono stages just purely to make it work when you have a receiver that doesn't have a phono input?

Edited by the munt

Switched my setup from the long wall to the short wall. Everything is symmetrical now. Added some proper bass traps to the front corners too. Sounding good...

IMG_8030.jpeg

Thorens TD160 > Nagaoka MP-500 > Croft Tube Phono > Rogue Sphinx v2 > ATC SCM11 v2

Edited by Seafinch

On 06/06/2016 at 4:03 PM, Seafinch said:

Switched my setup from the long wall to the short wall. Everything is symmetrical now. Added some proper bass traps to the front corners too. Sounding good...

IMG_8030.jpeg

Thorens TD160 > Nagaoka MP-500 > Croft Tube Phono > Rogue Sphinx v2 > ATC SCM11 v2

That looks really nice man.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 5:03 PM, Seafinch said:

IMG_8030.jpeg

First, I'm jealous of your MP-500, I loved my 200 when I had it, it just seems to have a perfect tonal balance. Secondly, can you describe how your bass traps improved your sound? I have wood floors and a bunch of wooden doors in my room and I think I can improve my bass with some treatment, but I'm not even sure what I'm listening for.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4 maj 2016 at 8:27 PM, Tardcore said:

Looks like Monitor Audio Silver 2?

I use RX1s for my PC setup and RX8s in my main audio/AV setup.

You need to get them off the floor.  They will sound worlds better.

Finally I decided to build the speaker stands myself, hence I also got the exact height to match the TV shelf.

Sound worlds better.

Qmcp6IL.jpg

45 minutes ago, ajxd said:

What's the recommended height for those? That seems awfully low...

That was bothering me a bit too, but it seems like he was really hung up on keeping them at the same level as the TV console....The correct position would likely bring the bottom of the speaker flush with the TV stand and maybe away from the wall a bit.

At least they aren't sitting on the floor anymore.  That was breaking my poor old heart.

Edited by Tardcore

Finished the 'flexi-rack', so I'm officially content with my set up. I'll be replacing the light in my SL-1200MK2 soon, so I might look into modding it as well while it's taken apart. But otherwise, unless I find a crazy good deal on a Pioneer Elite CD player (just for the sake of matching), I think this'll be my running set up for a long time; no complaints. 

Technics SL-1200MK2

Sony C77ES

Pioneer F-91

Pioneer A-71

ESS AMT-3

pT4J0GF.jpg

Edit: I might make some covers for the AMT's, but I'm hesitant because I'm pretty sure my cat will just see them as scratching posts. 

Edited by 8ight

13 hours ago, Mr Mojo said:

Well, there had to be a compromise here. My wife and I are very keen on having our living room balanced in every way possible, and having the speakers higher or away from the wall more just wouldn't work. So in the end this worked out really well I think.

Divorce worked really well for me, stopped all those little problems

1 hour ago, 8ight said:

Finished the 'flexi-rack', so I'm officially content with my set up. I'll be replacing the light in my SL-1200MK2 soon, so I might look into modding it as well while it's taken apart. But otherwise, unless I find a crazy good deal on a Pioneer Elite CD player (just for the sake of matching), I think this'll be my running set up for a long time; no complaints. 

Technics SL-1200MK2

Sony C77ES

Pioneer F-91

Pioneer A-71

ESS AMT-3

Edit: I might make some covers for the AMT's, but I'm hesitant because I'm pretty sure my cat will just see them as scratching posts. 

Like the rack. Did you go for 3 point so it self levels?

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded a few components of my setup (including storage furniture). I figure I have pretty much maxed out the turntable, so that'll be next but for now I am pretty happy with the sound:

Pro-Ject Debut III

Pro-Ject Speed Box S

Ortofon 2M Blue

Parks Audio Budgie

Maratz SR-63

IMG_1987.JPGIMG_2022.JPGIMG_2023.JPGIMG_2024.JPG